20/24 MPG vs 21/26 MPG... When Did Ford Change The Ranger MPG?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The window sticker on our SuperCab shows 20 mpg city / 24 mpg highway.

Yet I just noticed another window sticker, not our truck, that shows 21 mpg city / 26 mpg highway.

Is this a 4x4 vs a 4x2 thing?

Window Sticker For Our 2019 Ranger Blocked Out Vin.jpg
21 - 26 mpg Window Sticker.jpg
Sponsored

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
that's correct. 4x2 get slightly better fuel mileage. so the ratings are different.

Last edited:

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
The key word is "ratings". And then you add EPA now you just have a WAGuess.

RangerJosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
My MPG's is def nothing to brag about... I was honestly expecting a little more.

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I have the Lariat FX4 and get every bit of the EPA ratings. 20-21 city only, 22-23 mixed and 24-26 highway. Long trips between 55-65 mph, I'll see 27-28 mpg. It certainly got better with the higher mileage (7,500).

Very Happy with the MPGs.
Agreed. We're averaging 25 MPG with about 3400 miles on the odometer.

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
I've never hit the city mileage but usually exceed their highway ratings. I'm a cruise control fanatic, though.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Lariat FX4 and get every bit of the EPA ratings. 20-21 city only, 22-23 mixed and 24-26 highway. Long trips between 55-65 mph, I'll see 27-28 mpg. It certainly got better with the higher mileage (7,500).

Very Happy with the MPGs.
You are in Florida which doesn't have much in the way of hills. Hills and speeds above 60 drag down MPG quite significantly in my experience. Glad to see you are getting good results. I'm not unhappy with my MPG, but the best I've ever done (hand calclulated) was 23.1 back in the summer. My normal driving which is a mix of town/highway hovers right around 20.

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
You are in Florida which doesn't have much in the way of hills. Hills and speeds above 60 drag down MPG quite significantly in my experience. Glad to see you are getting good results. I'm not unhappy with my MPG, but the best I've ever done (hand calclulated) was 23.1 back in the summer. My normal driving which is a mix of town/highway hovers right around 20.
Hmm... I live in Central Colorado. Lot's of hills here. Averaging 25 mpg. I think 95% is driving style. I'm also a cruise control fanatic and rarely use sport mode. And FWIW I always run 91 octane top tier fuel.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm... I live in Central Colorado. Lot's of hills here. Averaging 25 mpg. I think 95% is driving style. I'm also a cruise control fanatic and rarely use sport mode. And FWIW I always run 91 octane top tier fuel.
I drive with a light foot most of the time. Maybe there is some other variable. I know hills make a big difference in my MPG, but I don't run 91. I run 87 usually getting top tier gas. Maybe I should try running a couple of tanks of 91 to see what it does for my mileage. Maybe that helps with the hills.

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Also here in Colorado if you’re not going 80 you get run over. Lol
You're from Eagle... Yeah, but you have I-70 running through your back yard.

We have to drive an hour just to get to an interstate... which we avoid, like the plague. :like:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Also here in Colorado if you’re not going 80 you get run over. Lol
There is a section of freeway we traveled this week that is that way. It goes over 3 low passes - from a couple hundred feet to over 2,000 feet, back down to a couple hundred and then repeats two more times. It is kind of like a huger roller coaster. That section of road is really interesting/weird. You either travel in the right lane and go 40ish (behind the semis) up the hills, or you travel 80 in the left lane otherwise you get run over. There isn't much of a middle ground.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Somewhat true however, the best mileage I've gotten was a trip thru North Carolina, Virginia and back.

dan1431

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Checking in from Central Florida and I am averaging around 22MPG combined (thought mostly city driving). Living about 10 minutes from a Costco that is my go to for gas (do not think the Ranger has any other brand so far) and since their Premium is about the same cost as regular on the street, I go with Premium (for whatever that is worth or not).

Really no complaints at all, it is truck I am not expecting Honda levels of gas mileage, the fact that wife actively want to ride in it is a win in my book.
Sponsored