20/24 MPG vs 21/26 MPG... When Did Ford Change The Ranger MPG?

jjohn931

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Wow. I’m doing something wrong. I went from Indy to Denver for Christmas and averaged a whopping 17.1 mpg. I put the cruse control 9 over the speed limit. The adaptive cruse control is the coolest thing ever by the way. I do have a leveling kit and1 size bigger tires on the truck but didn’t think that wood hurt the Milage by 9 mpg. I used 89 octane fuel with every tank. Maybe the Milage on computer isn’t reading right cause the tires. I never really cared about Milage but if I’m slacking that much maybe I should.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. I’m doing something wrong. I went from Indy to Denver for Christmas and averaged a whopping 17.1 mpg. I put the cruse control 9 over the speed limit. The adaptive cruse control is the coolest thing ever by the way. I do have a leveling kit and1 size bigger tires on the truck but didn’t think that wood hurt the Milage by 9 mpg. I used 89 octane fuel with every tank. Maybe the Milage on computer isn’t reading right cause the tires. I never really cared about Milage but if I’m slacking that much maybe I should.
Larger tires will hurt mileage a bit and the computer calculations will be off. The leveling kit will also reduce mileage a bit. If you have a 4WD it wouldn't be 9 MPG, it would be at best 7. With a lift and larger tires, I always assume a loss of 2 MPG. On my trip up north with lots of up and down hills, doing 70+ most of the way, and a loaded truck I got 18-20 which I'm happy with. Hills and 60+ MPH seems to cut the MPGs significantly in my experience. Some others varies, but that is what I've experienced.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
FWIW, adaptive cruise won't get you the best MPG if you end up following someone who's driving like an ass (constant brake & accelerator) because the truck will end up doing the same thing. The closer the follow distance the worse it will be. You'll also see much better mileage if you anticipate hills, speeding up gradually ahead of time and letting it bleed off to avoid using turbo to hold the speed. That said, I usually use adaptive cruise because it's worth a couple of bucks to just sit back and relax and keep my blood pressure low. :cool:

Robert Jay

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT and 2008 Porsche Carrera 4S
Occupation
Retired Antique Dealer
Well I was getting 16 around town if I banged my 4x2 Ranger and 27 on a trip. I have 5k miles on my truck and I purchased a Tune that promised more power and better gas mileage. They did state To give it 2 weeks for the computer to be reprogrammed and to only use Shell or Chevron Premium gas with the time. So I am on my second tankful of Shell premium and it is much faster when I hit it and I notice that it actually goes into 10th gear! This is why I am getting 28 plus mpg on the highway but around town stop sign to stop sign where I live in NJ, I am now getting 13mpg. it is disappointing but I am sticking with it because well, I miss my 2018 Mustang GT so a little zoom zoom is worth the price of gas.

Onlyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4, 2019 Jeep Rubicon on 37's
I’ve been averaging right at 20 mpg. Running from Eagle, Co to Grand Junction, Co and back. The computer is about .5 mpg off vs hand calculated. I set the cruise at 80. I have a small leveling kit and bigger tires.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I’ve been averaging 18mpg, ride to work is pretty clear on the freeway. About an hour of traffic on the way back. With the occasional stomping on the skinny pedal I was expecting more but it is what it is.

Truckee Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Supercrew 4 x 4; 2015 Nissan Murano; 2019 Honda CRF 250F; 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan;
Occupation
Construction Consultant
FWIW, adaptive cruise won't get you the best MPG if you end up following someone who's driving like an ass (constant brake & accelerator) because the truck will end up doing the same thing. The closer the follow distance the worse it will be. You'll also see much better mileage if you anticipate hills, speeding up gradually ahead of time and letting it bleed off to avoid using turbo to hold the speed. That said, I usually use adaptive cruise because it's worth a couple of bucks to just sit back and relax and keep my blood pressure low. :cool:
I tested adaptive cruise control vs. human cruise control on a 300-mile trip (each way) recently. The human got 27 mpg vs. 21 for the computer. But I agree, it's not as much the computer as other vehicles - especially trucks - causing a lot of braking and acceleration.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I tested adaptive cruise control vs. human cruise control on a 300-mile trip (each way) recently. The human got 27 mpg vs. 21 for the computer. But I agree, it's not as much the computer as other vehicles - especially trucks - causing a lot of braking and acceleration.
There are definitely also differences in ability to anticipate (like when adaptive cruise hits the brakes at the bottom of a hill right before starting up again).

Jqueen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Supercrew XLT 2wd
Everybody mentions that they are with traffic or use cruise or whatever, but very few state what speed they run on the highway. In Texas most highways are 70mph and interstates are almost all 75. In many other states interstates are 65 or 70 and other highways can be 55. In my experience over 55 or 60 is where your mileage goes to crap. For the Ranger, mine gets 26 or better cruising Arkansas roads with hills at 55-60. But when I cross back into Texas and bump it up to 75, I'm down to 22 or so.

Also, everybody has a different definition of driving with a "light foot". Personally for me one of the biggest impacts on city mpg is minimizing the use of the brake. Let off the gas and coast to the red light, drop 10 to 20% of your speed before you ever hit the brakes.

Edit- and I also forgot to mention.. I generally run pretty closely to the speed limit, so 75-78 in a 75 zone and 56-57 I'm a 55 zone.

Last edited:

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I’m in New England so get the gambit of terranes. After 7K getting pretty close to factory specs. It is a learned experience to bump it up. For me with stock tires there is a difference between computer and Fuelly of about 1.5 mpg. Factory is more generous

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
As you can see by my Fuelly in my sig I'm getting 21.9 for an average. I'm happy with that and that's with larger tires and 2.5" level. My best was going back n forth to MX last fall where I averaged 26.1 with the cruise set to 75.

IMG_3382.jpg

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I have the Lariat FX4 and get every bit of the EPA ratings. 20-21 city only, 22-23 mixed and 24-26 highway. Long trips between 55-65 mph, I'll see 27-28 mpg. It certainly got better with the higher mileage (7,500).

Very Happy with the MPGs.
I am getting the same fuel mileage in my XLT FX4. And that suer beats the fuel mileage I got out of my 97 4x4 extended cab F150 with the 4.6L V8, it got 14 MPG no matter how I drove it.

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Happy for y'all getting great mileage. I'm getting 19.2 average with what I consider normal to conservative driving. (On board computer calculated) FX2 with 4k miles. 55 and under mph around my rural area.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Sport mode, in d i lock out higher gears. I am in a pickup not a prius, gas mileage last thing on my mind, put it in sport mode, or tow mode tow that trailer, ride the autobahn, 2020 xlt 4x2 i average 17mpg 13 or less depending on trailer
Sponsored