Suspension list (from softest to firmest)

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
More coils will equate to softer ride and easier compression in general spring theory.
Not necessarily true. Depending on steel temper and diameter can definitely change things. My suspicion is one has less travel then the other in compression so it could possibly be slightly stiffer but also allow easier extension. That depends on valving too

Metalshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Not necessarily true. Depending on steel temper and diameter can definitely change things. My suspicion is one has less travel then the other in compression so it could possibly be slightly stiffer but also allow easier extension. That depends on valving too
" in general spring theory" I would suggest you look at variable rate coils like Metalcloak or Moog.
One won't have less travel because the springs do not limit travel in any engineered strut as this would induce coil bind and kick out or catastrophic failure.
1615743748085.jpeg

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Has anyone listed the various suspensions available for our vehicles based on how stiff/soft they are? I'm trying to pick one that gives a leveled stance, good road manners, but can also do the forest road/rock crawling safely.

From reading here and doing my own research, this is what I've come up with, but trying to see if someone with experience with one or more can weigh in (also aware there is some subjectivity in this):

SOFTEST
FX4 factory
Regular 4x4 factory
Bilstein
Eibach Pro Truck
Fox 2.0
Ford Fox 2.0
Old Man Emu
Fox 2.5 (adjustable!)
Icon
King
STIFFEST
So the first 2 on your list use factory coils and then Bilstein is just a shock so I've only seen people use their factory coil as well. Eibach through Icon on your list I believe all use eibach coils. Then I believe King uses their own coil.

I personally noticed the greatest impact when I changed the rear shocks to Bilstein 5100's.

Then when I put the Bilstein's up front I put them at the highest setting (so greatest preload) with the factory coils. This was a small improvement relative to the improvement in the rear. By improvement I mean less body roll and overall smoothness on road. After a while though, I believe using the highest setting is really stressing my coils so I ordered Eibach coils from stage 3 which are longer (same comparison of length to the fox vs. ford fox someone put on here) so I can put the Bilstein's at the lowest setting (so no adjusting of the preload), and they provide a 3" lift up front from the coil alone, and they have a slightly higher spring rate.

Remark: This is only an opinion because I haven't looked up spring rate of the king, fox, icon, but I believe the spring rate of these Eibach coils that I ordered would be similar to the ford fox coilovers if not the same. I also like the increased stroke of the Bilstein shocks up front which have a stroke length of 4.6 something like 4.67 off the top of my head. I'll be pairing up the Bilstein 5100 with Eibach coils which cost, 389 (before tax) plus 175 (tax included), respectively for all 4 corners. I ordered the Bajakits LT kit so I'll put them on the LT kit when it comes in. I won't actually feel the ride of the Bilsteins on Eibach coils with factory control arms because I'm putting on the coilovers when I put on the LT kit so my opinion then will be based off of the addition of the LT kit.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
So the first 2 on your list use factory coils and then Bilstein is just a shock so I've only seen people use their factory coil as well. Eibach through Icon on your list I believe all use eibach coils. Then I believe King uses their own coil.

I personally noticed the greatest impact when I changed the rear shocks to Bilstein 5100's.

Then when I put the Bilstein's up front I put them at the highest setting (so greatest preload) with the factory coils. This was a small improvement relative to the improvement in the rear. By improvement I mean less body roll and overall smoothness on road. After a while though, I believe using the highest setting is really stressing my coils so I ordered Eibach coils from stage 3 which are longer (same comparison of length to the fox vs. ford fox someone put on here) so I can put the Bilstein's at the lowest setting (so no adjusting of the preload), and they provide a 3" lift up front from the coil alone, and they have a slightly higher spring rate.

Remark: This is only an opinion because I haven't looked up spring rate of the king, fox, icon, but I believe the spring rate of these Eibach coils that I ordered would be similar to the ford fox coilovers if not the same. I also like the increased stroke of the Bilstein shocks up front which have a stroke length of 4.6 something like 4.67 off the top of my head. I'll be pairing up the Bilstein 5100 with Eibach coils which cost, 389 (before tax) plus 175 (tax included), respectively for all 4 corners. I ordered the Bajakits LT kit so I'll put them on the LT kit when it comes in. I won't actually feel the ride of the Bilsteins on Eibach coils with factory control arms because I'm putting on the coilovers when I put on the LT kit so my opinion then will be based off of the addition of the LT kit.
Old Man EMU makes thier own springs out in Australia. One of the few that done use Eibach springs. As for the rest i belive is correct

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4

Thanks for weighing in! You've got quite a unique setup compared to most it would seem. Your assessment of Eibach springs on most of the aftermarket kits is correct I believe. They are varied in spring rates and the valving in the shocks will impact each differently as you've noticed.

I agree that changing rear shocks makes a world of difference, with many noticing huge gains with Eibach, Bilstein, Fox, etc (really anything better valved than stock). Excited to hear a writeup once your setup is all installed!

wilsoN_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor 2022 Kawasaki ZX-14R
Occupation
Logistics
I can't speak on the Fox 2.5 DSC out of the box, mine were custom tuned by Accutune and they are indeed in the softest setting far softer riding than the stiff bouncy FX4 suspension.

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't speak on the Fox 2.5 DSC out of the box, mine were custom tuned by Accutune and they are indeed in the softest setting far softer riding than the stiff bouncy FX4 suspension.
It's interesting you mention the FX4 as stiff. I found them to be too soft/compliant which is why you get the wallowing/swaying/body roll. The FX4 rear shocks are way too soft IMO which leads to those leaf springs snapping back (e.g. speed bump) way too fast and being quite jarring.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Thanks for weighing in! You've got quite a unique setup compared to most it would seem. Your assessment of Eibach springs on most of the aftermarket kits is correct I believe. They are varied in spring rates and the valving in the shocks will impact each differently as you've noticed.

I agree that changing rear shocks makes a world of difference, with many noticing huge gains with Eibach, Bilstein, Fox, etc (really anything better valved than stock). Excited to hear a writeup once your setup is all installed!
Yes I have a ton of research and time in the seat to do to better understand suspension in general. I'm also reading a book called chassis engineering which I see has been referred to in the off-road racing community to better understand suspension setups (although it was written for car racing I look through desert racing forums which is where I found it).

I also want to be able to feel the difference between soft/firm compression, valving, and rebound. I can only presume that the 3 get confused a lot on here because most of us don't know the difference and just call it too soft or too firm and I myself don't know crap about it so I'm learning.

But yeah the rear is definitely worth an upgrade to keeps our heads from bouncing side to side on uneven ground lol.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I also want to be able to feel the difference between soft/firm compression, valving, and rebound. I can only presume that the 3 get confused a lot on here because most of us don't know the difference and just call it too soft or too firm and I myself don't know crap about it so I'm learning.
This may sound odd or ironic, but ride a mountain bike, and learn to setup the suspension on that. Then you'll understand, and have a feel for, what these settings are doing. Most mountain bike shocks have variable firmness (spring rate, usually based on air pressure - they use an air spring, though some have real coil springs). Valving again, is often variable via a a couple of knobs - low speed compression, high speed compression. Then rebound: high and low speed rebound.

:)

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So (from a rear shock perspective) I can now say that the Eibachs are actually damped a bit firmer than the Fox 2.0s.

When installing the Eibachs there was no way in hell I could compress them by hand. The Fox 2.0s were pretty tough but I was able to do it. I can say for certain that I'm not getting any stronger so there's your anecdotal proof. ?

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
So (from a rear shock perspective) I can now say that the Eibachs are actually damped a bit firmer than the Fox 2.0s.

When installing the Eibachs there was no way in hell I could compress them by hand. The Fox 2.0s were pretty tough but I was able to do it. I can say for certain that I'm not getting any stronger so there's your anecdotal proof. ?
This is actually a great comparison. Thanks. I have Fox 2.0’s rear only and I’m really happy with them for the street. Haven’t done much off-road.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet

That was my experience too. The stock ones were no problem to cycle. I had to jack the Eibach's up to get the lower bolts in. If I ever catch a super deal on Bilsteins or fox rears I may swap them out.

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That was my experience too. The stock ones were no problem to cycle. I had to jack the Eibach's up to get the lower bolts in. If I ever catch a super deal on Bilsteins or fox rears I may swap them out.
Agreed! Those stock FX4s feel like they're better suited for a mountain bike than a truck. Very little resistance at all.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase

By chance did you consume any canned spinach immediately prior to installing the Fox 2.0s? I recall hearing about Sailors using this trick prior to completing a particularly challenging task. On an unrelated note, I am what I am. lol
Sponsored