Suspension list (from softest to firmest)

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
By chance did you consume any canned spinach immediately prior to installing the Fox 2.0s? I recall hearing about Sailors using this trick prior to completing a particularly challenging task. On an unrelated note, I am what I am. lol
No, no I did not. I did set my pipe down to perform the install though. Lol.
Sponsored

MrAnalog

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Not necessarily true. Depending on steel temper and diameter can definitely change things. My suspicion is one has less travel then the other in compression so it could possibly be slightly stiffer but also allow easier extension. That depends on valving too
Diameter - yes

Temper - no

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Diameter - yes

Temper - no
Every spring in a lot goes through the entire length of the furnaces. This means that each bar, and therefore each spring, gets a consistent heat treatment and is not dependent on its position in the furnace. This is a distinct advantage over batch processes where each spring receives a different heat treatment depending on where and when the material is placed in the furnace.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I just got the FP Fox 2.0 and have been enjoying it. It seems to be better in any and all ways than stock was. I was also all for the extra two coils in the springs and the FP tuning, for a slight price difference. It could be that Fox was trying to hit a certain price point with theirs and made it cheaper whereas the FP clearly did not.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
So (from a rear shock perspective) I can now say that the Eibachs are actually damped a bit firmer than the Fox 2.0s.

When installing the Eibachs there was no way in hell I could compress them by hand. The Fox 2.0s were pretty tough but I was able to do it. I can say for certain that I'm not getting any stronger so there's your anecdotal proof. ?
I'm not so sure about that. Everything I've read over the years and learned from guys who tune suspensions is that hand cycling a shock will not tell you which one is more firm than the other. The extremely slow compression by hand is only giving you an idea of how the oil travels through the various ports at such a slow speed. ?‍♂

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not so sure about that. Everything I've read over the years and learned from guys who tune suspensions is that hand cycling a shock will not tell you which one is more firm than the other. The extremely slow compression by hand is only giving you an idea of how the oil travels through the various ports at such a slow speed. ?‍♂
Hi Shea,

You are correct....Shocks are velocity devices and hand cycling cannot be at a velocity by hand to tell anything about relative "stiffness". You need curves for all the shocks off the shock dyno to compare.... Used to be called Football curves. May be different now....do not know....

MrAnalog

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I was told that the seals are tight when new and it has nothing to do with the valving or the oil.

cbull

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda civic hatchback CVT 2017 ram cummins
Occupation
Farmer
Seems to be knowledgeable suspension talk going on here, so I wanna ask here. Got a 21 tremor which comes with fox shocks of some sorts, I want to level the front, but don't want to stiffen the ride any or mess up the handling. What components should I be looking at, don't think spacers is the right way to go. Thanks!

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Seems to be knowledgeable suspension talk going on here, so I wanna ask here. Got a 21 tremor which comes with fox shocks of some sorts, I want to level the front, but don't want to stiffen the ride any or mess up the handling. What components should I be looking at, don't think spacers is the right way to go. Thanks!
Can you post a picture I'm curious to see them. I've read that the new coils add a 20mm lift to the truck and that there are remote reservoirs.

cbull

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Farmer
There is reservoirs on the rear shocks but nothing on the front. As far as the front being lifted a bit more than the others Maybe but there's still about a two and a half inch difference between the front and rear of the truck.

DSC_1423.JPG

DSC_1422.JPG

DSC_1421.JPG

DSC_1420.JPG

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I can't speak on the Fox 2.5 DSC out of the box, mine were custom tuned by Accutune and they are indeed in the softest setting far softer riding than the stiff bouncy FX4 suspension.
There is so much confusion and opinions with shocks and springs. I thought FX4 was the softest around?

wilsoN_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor 2022 Kawasaki ZX-14R
Occupation
Logistics
There is so much confusion and opinions with shocks and springs. I thought FX4 was the softest around?
The front is terrible it’s like riding in a 1990 Cadillac with worn out shocks it never settles it’s constantly wallowing up and down and feels sketchy on twisty roads, the rear is stiff enough that it feels as if the rear axle is leaving the ground over joints in bridges. The Fox 2.5 DSC fixes the front wallow and makes the handling much more confidence inspiring without making it stiff and the rear is far softer than the fx4 shocks the rear feels much better and planted however the rear springs generally suck too they aren’t very forgiving which is my I’m going with a progressive multi leaf pack.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
After seeing the Tremor front shocks it doesn’t look like it has an adjustment collar. Is there clip grooves for changing the length of the spring compression? If that’s what it is ??‍♂

cbull

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Farmer
After seeing the Tremor front shocks it doesn’t look like it has an adjustment collar. Is there clip grooves for changing the length of the spring compression? If that’s what it is ??‍♂
No, the tremor doesn't have adjustable shocks. From what I have read and can see.

Metalshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT
Spacers are the way lift it without affecting the spring rate and stiffness.
Sponsored