First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
Here's my version. You are a better carpenter than I am so this cost $47 more for the top trim piece which snapped right in. This required 3 countersunk sheet metal screws into the seat back bracket to attach the plywood There's no wires or anything behind it and there's no harm to the truck. If you do this don't drill below this bracket or you will have a hole to the outside! Learned the hard way not to use stainless screws as that's some tough steel sheet metal.
Yours looks great. Way prettier than mine. If I were to do this again maybe I’d buy that trim piece to hide the plastic interface trim on the top sides. I’d have to sacrifice the middle though to use the original top seat bolts. Those are the workhorses of my design and I want my heavy boxes to bolt/strap to this so if I crash the truck they stay in the back!

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
Ya'll need some hook points higher on the board so you can bungee strap cargo in place. Or use big plastic tubs with lids to throw gear in.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I did my own rear seat delete because I needed room for tool cases. I used large high-density foam floor tiles (the interlocking type from Home Depot) cut it to shape to fill all those recessed areas and the vents, then doubled up the whole rear panel afterward. Used a large rubber-backed utility mat (Home Depot) to cover the back - slipped it under the plastic trim panels in the corners, cut slits for the old seat brackets. Used black plastic trim push-plugs where old seats were fastened - re-used the child seat mounting bolts and made panels for the sides and on top of the storage compartments - dropped the short seatbelt straps into the storage bins. Made a simple loop of the utility mat to cover where the plastic panels end at the top of each corner (tucked behind panel and velcro'd in place) Side panels and storage cover are velcro'd in place as well. I can fit more than a dozen DeWALT tool cases back there and nothing gets scratched up! Can't drill or screw into it to mount things but that wasn't my intention. All-in Cost: $72 CAD/~$50 USD.

IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1077.JPG
IMG_1079.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG

Updated: Pics showing how my tool cases fit in.

IMG_1615.JPG

IMG_1616.JPG

IMG_1613.JPG

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I did my own rear seat delete because I needed room for tool cases. I used large high-density foam floor tiles (the interlocking type from Home Depot) cut it to shape to fill all those recessed areas and the vents, then doubled up the whole rear panel afterward. Used a large rubber-backed utility mat (Home Depot) to cover the back - slipped it under the plastic trim panels in the corners, cut slits for the old seat brackets. Used black plastic trim push-plugs where old seats were fastened - re-used the child seat mounting bolts and made panels for the sides and on top of the storage compartments - dropped the short seatbelt straps into the storage bins. Made a simple loop of the utility mat to cover where the plastic panels end at the top of each corner (tucked behind panel and velcro'd in place) Side panels and storage cover are velcro'd in place as well. I can fit six or eight DeWalt tool cases back there and nothing gets scratched up! Can't drill or screw into it but that wasn't my intention. All-in Cost: $72 CAD/~$50 USD.

IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1077.JPG
IMG_1079.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG
So you blocked the vents?

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
So you blocked the vents?
Not completely "blocked". I left them open at first but there was WAY too much road noise. I figured if the seat backs and people sitting in them can restrict the vents, so could the foam, so I covered the vents with the foam. The road noise disappeared and the foam is loose enough to still allow the cabin air to be discharged when shutting doors or when an airbag deploys.

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
As somebody who has found expanding foam shot into various places inside of cars, I do suggest you stay away from expanding foam. It goes in easily enough, but after that it's a ticking time bomb. Dead baby rats, insects, mold, you name it, i've found it inside pockets where expanding foam had been eaten away, or water had leaked into it for who knows how long....

That being said, the odds of a modern car such as this being on the road in 50-70 years is minuscule.

I just don't think anything positive will come from using expanding foam here. The sound deadening mats are so good and will dampen that better than foam will. Or you could look into painting Por15 onto the metal panels. It will prevent rust, soundproof and provide you the surface protection you're looking for in one go of it. That stuff has been around for decades (with improvements and an expanded product line).

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Not completely "blocked". I left them open at first but there was WAY too much road noise. I figured if the seat backs and people sitting in them can restrict the vents, so could the foam, so I covered the vents with the foam. The road noise disappeared and the foam is loose enough to still allow the cabin air to be discharged when shutting doors or when an airbag deploys.
Is road noise improved from stock configuration ?

Also, how much depth did you gain ?

Last edited:

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Is road noise improved from stock configuration ?

Also, how much depth did you gain ?
No noticeable improvement in road noise from stock - could be better, could be worse. I did the conversion within days of buying the truck, so I didn't have a chance to get any true sense of a baseline. The depth and height I gained was three to four inches each way. The issue for me wasn't just the extra room but the ability to have flat surfaces for plenty of tool cases and to use the area without ruining the seats and side panels.

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
No noticeable improvement in road noise from stock - could be better, could be worse. I did the conversion within days of buying the truck, so I didn't have a chance to get any true sense of a baseline. The depth and height I gained was three to four inches each way. The issue for me wasn't just the extra room but the ability to have flat surfaces for plenty of tool cases and to use the area without ruining the seats and side panels.
seat:

image.jpg

3 to 5” height gained.

seat back:

image.jpg

3 to 4” depth gained.

minus an inch in my configuration for half inch plywood and half inch insulation.

my road noise seems same as stock.

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
Ya'll need some hook points higher on the board so you can bungee strap cargo in place. Or use big plastic tubs with lids to throw gear in.
yup. here is the current modular bolt-on version.

three milk crates accessible from right rear door and driver/passenger seats, plus as many ring bolts and bungees as needed. my toolbox sits centered and back and the cooler has straps bolted on and opens to the left rear door.

ain’t pretty but it works and things won’t go anywhere on a rough road. and we can move things around depending on how we like the storage.

we could bolt the milk crates up higher but that would obscure the rear view

the lower crate is raised enough off the seat bottom that i can open and get into the under seat storage easily.

we’ll see how it goes.

87AAC2A7-492F-48CC-B6DF-DAAE87C4CF19.jpeg

edit: no idea why my photos keep uploading sideways. oh well.

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
20200802_010851.jpg

I attached jump seats to my plywood. The seats rest on the storage compartments in the down position.

For road noise, I put acoustic egg crate foam between the vents and the board. It's not working very well and I'll have to block off the vents a little more. I'm not convinced any sound deadening will work because it's mostly sound from the vents that I'm hearing..

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
yup. here is the current modular bolt-on version.

three milk crates accessible from right rear door and driver/passenger seats, plus as many ring bolts and bungees as needed. my toolbox sits centered and back and the cooler has straps bolted on and opens to the left rear door.

ain’t pretty but it works and things won’t go anywhere on a rough road. and we can move things around depending on how we like the storage.

we could bolt the milk crates up higher but that would obscure the rear view

the lower crate is raised enough off the seat bottom that i can open and get into the under seat storage easily.

we’ll see how it goes.

87AAC2A7-492F-48CC-B6DF-DAAE87C4CF19.jpeg

edit: no idea why my photos keep uploading sideways. oh well.
All fixed . . .
Image 1088.png

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
20200807_153418.jpg

20200807_154418.jpg
20200807_161602.jpg

I took it all apart and added more acoustic foam around the vents to go with my closed cell sleeping mat.

Also added a molle panel for more storage.

It's quieter than it was with just the bed mat and the plywood. I think it's about what it sounded like with the stock seats in place. Everything else still seems to work fine.
Sponsored