First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
hi folks. i removed the seats and rear center panel in my supercab to free up some room for storage. i have a piece of 1/2” plywood cut to fit the metal rear wall, and i am going to put a layer of foam over the vents and a layer of synthetic blanket to fill in the bottom space.

the top however has an empty space between two layers of metal. see orange arrow pointing to this area. there appears to be an empty gap around 1.5-2” deep back there.

i was thinking about putting some spray foam in there to dampen road noise. or are there wires back there and i will make it impossible to access them again? any other ideas?

55BFBAAD-8071-4FC5-BD62-83CEC238FE3F.jpeg
Sponsored

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Do a search on rear seat delete. There's a thread where someone looked into doing that and came up with the Ford parts list to cover that rear panel. Rear seat delete is an option on some trim levels. Alternatively a Lowe's or an auto parts store sells 1/4 inch thick pliable foil coated insulation in a roll as used on an autos firewall. It looks like a roll up sunshade, actually I use some as one.

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
Do a search on rear seat delete. There's a thread where someone looked into doing that and came up with the Ford parts list to cover that rear panel. Rear seat delete is an option on some trim levels. Alternatively a Lowe's or an auto parts store sells 1/4 inch thick pliable foil coated insulation in a roll as used on an autos firewall. It looks like a roll up sunshade, actually I use some as one.
i read that thread. doesn’t mention anything about soundproofing or what is hiding behind that sheet metal.

i didn’t get the factory seat delete because i wanted structural plywood so i can screw things into it. plan to put a bunch of t nuts in and some daisy chain webbing so i can add and subtract storage and gear securing options as i please.

i was guessing the factory seat delete panel is plastic and some sound deadening and wouldn’t hold up for any load bearing modifications.

i don’t mind that my home made project won’t be as pretty.. (although my wife might;)

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I would spray foam away! Just be ready for it to come out in wierd places.

Maybe tape up all the holes or at least some of them and the rest as you spray along.

There may be wires in there but spray foam, while annoying, isn't permanent.

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
I would spray foam away! Just be ready for it to come out in wierd places.

Maybe tape up all the holes or at least some of them and the rest as you spray along.

There may be wires in there but spray foam, while annoying, isn't permanent.
the mess i can deal with. ill just shave whatever oozes out off with a razor blade.

what i worry about is that it would stop me accessing some mystery harness or wire in there i might need one day. digging spray foam out with the tip of a coat hanger over the course of a few days sounds miserable.

but i’m hoping that is an unnecessary fear. i’m guessing if there was something in that panel it would have some access options other than the slots for plastic clips etc?

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Considering the rear seat is basically a panel that covers the metal I would think some insulation cut to the same shape as your plywood panel would be sufficient. So basically just duplicate what you removed, which it sounds like you did with the plywood. If still too noisy you could always add additional sound deadening, Spraying foam into the holes may just transmit the road noise from outside through the panel.

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
Considering the rear seat is basically a panel that covers the metal I would think some insulation cut to the same shape as your plywood panel would be sufficient. So basically just duplicate what you removed, which it sounds like you did with the plywood. If still too noisy you could always add additional sound deadening, Spraying foam into the holes may just transmit the sound through the panel.
yeah. but the seat is 3-4” thick compared to my thin panel.

didn’t think of the spray foam as a conductor. that would be an absolute disaster if it made it worse. interesting thought.

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt super cab
Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I doubt that section contributes much if anything to road noise, especially compared to the vents

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Dynamat Extreme is some very high quality sound deadening material that you can add on. It is commonly used for car stereo applications that rattle a car like crazy, but is also used for road noise and vibration damping. You can find it on Amazon or at a local car audio shop.

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Dynamat Extreme is some very high quality sound deadening material that you can add on. It is commonly used for car stereo applications that rattle a car like crazy, but is also used for road noise and vibration damping. You can find it on Amazon or at a local car audio shop.
we posted at the same time, this is what I bought.

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
hi folks. i removed the seats and rear center panel in my supercab to free up some room for storage. i have a piece of 1/2” plywood cut to fit the metal rear wall, and i am going to put a layer of foam over the vents and a layer of synthetic blanket to fill in the bottom space.

the top however has an empty space between two layers of metal. see orange arrow pointing to this area. there appears to be an empty gap around 1.5-2” deep back there.

i was thinking about putting some spray foam in there to dampen road noise. or are there wires back there and i will make it impossible to access them again? any other ideas?

55BFBAAD-8071-4FC5-BD62-83CEC238FE3F.jpeg
Please follow up with whatever you wind up doing! The road noise is a bit much as anyone thats driven with their back seat removed can vouch for but the parts from ford to make it as close to like you ordered the "back seat delete" option are pricey.

Avoid the spray foam at all costs is my 2 cents. I imagine the vents or whatever those actually are hiding behind the seats serve a purpose and weren't installed for their looks.

T-Wrecks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 XLT FX4 S Cab, FX4, 301A, Tow, Technology
Haven't been here in awhile and I'm literally doing to same thing. About to head out for supplies. How are you attaching the plywood? I was thinking some sheet metal screws would be needed. For the gap I was going to find some thick foam to trim. Not the spray kind although you could use plastic wrap so it won't stick to the cab.
Sponsored