Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
20200807_153418.jpg

20200807_154418.jpg
20200807_161602.jpg

I took it all apart and added more acoustic foam around the vents to go with my closed cell sleeping mat.

Also added a molle panel for more storage.

It's quieter than it was with just the bed mat and the plywood. I think it's about what it sounded like with the stock seats in place. Everything else still seems to work fine.
Nice work.

Did you notice if those vents are baffled so air can only travel out from the cab ?

The interior would be remarkably quiet without the noise from those vents.

Wonder where those vents are located in other vehicles . . .
Sponsored

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
Nice work.

Did you notice if those vents are baffled so air can only travel out from the cab ?

Yes, it looks like the flaps act as out only valves, but they're so light that anytime the fan is on, there's an open hole to the outside for road noise and exhaust noise to get in.

Funny how well the seats work to block the noise!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Yes, it looks like the flaps act as out only valves, but they're so light that anytime the fan is on, there's an open hole to the outside for road noise and exhaust noise to get in.

Funny how well the seats work to block the noise!
When air bags deploy the cab pressure increases dramatically. That's the main function of the vents on the back of the cab, to dissipate air pressure.

If the vents are blocked in any way that increase in pressure is a danger to the occupants of the vehicle.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
How do the seats come out? I don't even see any screws on mine. Can you post some more details on how and where they are attached, and if you have some suggestions / warnings to avoid breaking stuff, that'd be very welcome. Interior work always scares me because even when you're doing it the right way, it always feels like it's on the edge of breaking. I want to be able to reinstall the seats occasionally if that even makes sense.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
How do the seats come out? I don't even see any screws on mine. Can you post some more details on how and where they are attached, and if you have some suggestions / warnings to avoid breaking stuff, that'd be very welcome. Interior work always scares me because even when you're doing it the right way, it always feels like it's on the edge of breaking. I want to be able to reinstall the seats occasionally if that even makes sense.
I'm not interested to remove the seats but would like to know this, too. I know there is a bolt at the top of the seat back behind the straps for seat carriers.... in the 'hole' at the top of the seat. I removed that bolt and tugged and pulled, but couldn't get the seat back off. Some other people said to remove the bolt and then lift up on the seat back. I haven't gone back to try again.

OP
OP
charwest

charwest

First Name
char & tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL FX4 Supercab
Occupation
Healthcare
its been a while, but from memory i think you take that top bolt out and then pull the top of the seat into the car and the rest is straightforward. i think the lower side just clipped in.

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger Ë‹19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
When air bags deploy the cab pressure increases dramatically. That's the main function of the vents on the back of the cab, to dissipate air pressure.

If the vents are blocked in any way that increase in pressure is a danger to the occupants of the vehicle.
these vents were there before airbags get common. They made it easier to close the doors while windows are closed… had the experience with a 90s mercedes sprinter without these (or with poor dimensions) U had to slam the doors like a lunatic every time to get them fully closed…

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Nice work.

They are usually in the trunk in an inner quarter-panel so they are not visible to the outside.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my version. You are a better carpenter than I am so this cost $47 more for the top trim piece which snapped right in. This required 3 countersunk sheet metal screws into the seat back bracket to attach the plywood There's no wires or anything behind it and there's no harm to the truck. If you do this don't drill below this bracket or you will have a hole to the outside! Learned the hard way not to use stainless screws as that's some tough steel sheet metal.

I also used 1/2 plywood but went all the way to the bottom and slotted for the u-bolts. It's just tight enough the bottom is wedged in, there's actually a little grove along the bottom it fits into so no further fasteners are needed and it can be removed in 30 seconds. Added the same carpet I used to cover the lids on the storage boxes using the same 3M adhesive and staples on the backside. Before I did this I installed the bare plywood and when for a sound check drive. Just the plywood kills about 85% of the road noise. I had an old carpet remnant that I used on the backside for sound insulation. I think it's quieter than before.

My wife said it looks professional so you can't get a better compliment than that! I plan to add some tie downs or webbing too. The cool part is someone can still sit back there in a pinch and they actually have more room.

DSC_0467.JPG

DSC_0461.JPG

DSC_0465.JPG

DSC_0466.JPG
Awesome job. Did you save the dimensions of the plywood??

lex1125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
nuthin'
Here's my version. You are a better carpenter than I am so this cost $47 more for the top trim piece which snapped right in. This required 3 countersunk sheet metal screws into the seat back bracket to attach the plywood There's no wires or anything behind it and there's no harm to the truck. If you do this don't drill below this bracket or you will have a hole to the outside! Learned the hard way not to use stainless screws as that's some tough steel sheet metal.

I also used 1/2 plywood but went all the way to the bottom and slotted for the u-bolts. It's just tight enough the bottom is wedged in, there's actually a little grove along the bottom it fits into so no further fasteners are needed and it can be removed in 30 seconds. Added the same carpet I used to cover the lids on the storage boxes using the same 3M adhesive and staples on the backside. Before I did this I installed the bare plywood and when for a sound check drive. Just the plywood kills about 85% of the road noise. I had an old carpet remnant that I used on the backside for sound insulation. I think it's quieter than before.

My wife said it looks professional so you can't get a better compliment than that! I plan to add some tie downs or webbing too. The cool part is someone can still sit back there in a pinch and they actually have more room.

DSC_0467.JPG

DSC_0461.JPG

DSC_0465.JPG

DSC_0466.JPG
This looks great! I am thinking about something similar. I have read quite a few of these threads and it appears that (almost) no one removes the seat belts...I don't see a good reason to keep them and want to take them out, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Just to check, It looks like you covered the back vents, I'm curious if the noise level is less now (vrs. stock) and if you have issues closing the doors due to the tighter seal in the cab.
Really nice job on this, It looks like a stock build!!!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
This looks great! I am thinking about something similar. I have read quite a few of these threads and it appears that (almost) no one removes the seat belts...I don't see a good reason to keep them and want to take them out, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Just to check, It looks like you covered the back vents, I'm curious if the noise level is less now (vrs. stock) and if you have issues closing the doors due to the tighter seal in the cab.
Really nice job on this, It looks like a stock build!!!
I agree, @T-Wrecks did a great job!

Some folks said they left them in place to use as needed to keep items from launching during sudden stops.

I saw wires attached to them and didn’t know what they were for. I didn’t want to risk causing an issue with the SRS if I removed them, so I left them in.

My truck was quieter after my rear seat delete because of the think high-density foam I put in place as well as the rubber-backed utility carpet I used to cover the back wall. I didn’t cover my vents with the foam but even with the heavy carpet, closing the doors was no different than when the seats were in.

In fact, when I recently reversed the delete, I installed p sound deadening foam against the back wall before putting the seats back in place.

Rear Seat Delete Post: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...eed-advice-on-sound-proofing.7976/post-153541

Rear Seat Delete Reversal Post: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-ranger-today.3511/post-452741

Good luck with your project.

lex1125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
nuthin'
I agree, @T-Wrecks did a great job!

Some folks said they left them in place to use as needed to keep items from launching during sudden stops.

I saw wires attached to them and didn’t know what they were for. I didn’t want to risk causing an issue with the SRS if I removed them, so I left them in.

My truck was quieter after my rear seat delete because of the think high-density foam I put in place as well as the rubber-backed utility carpet I used to cover the back wall. I didn’t cover my vents with the foam but even with the heavy carpet, closing the doors was no different than when the seats were in.

In fact, when I recently reversed the delete, I installed p sound deadening foam against the back wall before putting the seats back in place.

Rear Seat Delete Post: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...eed-advice-on-sound-proofing.7976/post-153541

Rear Seat Delete Reversal Post: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-ranger-today.3511/post-452741

Good luck with your project.
Thanks. I lined the doors with Kilmat (Dynamat) and I wish I could get inside the rear wall cavity and do the same, but I think your approach is a good one, so I'm going to do the same. I was worried that the seat back might not go back in correctly afterwars, so thanks for mentioning that!

I'm tempted to just cut those wires running inside the seatbelt buckles , but like you said, I think this might cause some issues.

Anyone know how to take the seat belt buckles (the reciever bit) apart to discconnect the cable without cutting it?

Thanks for the reply and great pictures, btw. Very helpful.
Sponsored