First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
In the big picture, I haven't heard anything overly positive about saving any worthwhile fuel with these systems.
Sponsored

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
I was all over getting rid of this before I got the truck and now that I have it I gotta tell ya that it really doesnt bother me at all.

I can count on two hands the amount of times Ive noticed it shutting off in 3000km, but I do think that may depend on where you live. Id say its much more likely to happen in the city and I definitely dont live there, lol.

It requires everything to be just right to shut off, temp, steering wheel angle, load on engine, how much brake is applied, etc, etc. Im not thinking about fuel savings here either as Im sure its minimal, just thinking about the annoyance factor.

I get the extra wear and tear as that was my thought too, but I first experienced this on a VW diesel van I rented in France way back in 2012 and havent heard much about excessive failure on the many different vehicles that have it now.

Anyway, everyones different and I may change my mind yet as it does still surprise me the rare times it happens, but time will tell.

Cheers, Todd

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Somewhere I recall hearing the starter, etc was engineered to handle the additional starting cycles that occur with the auto start/stop. Time will tell if that pans out in the real world. My only experience with it was when we rented a car on a trip and I got a really nice v8 Charger that had the auto start/stop on it. It took me a bit to get used to it but once I did, it didn't really bother me.

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
Ya, Im sure starter tech has come aways since my 79 F-150 and the like, in the days when it was just regular maintenance to have a starter take a dump every couple years. I got to be a pro at it, but I cant remember the last time I did one.

Back in those days of carburetors, we used to say it takes more fuel to start then leave it idling for a bit, but total different tech now.

Im sure its just another gimmick to save a tenth of a gallon a month to satisfy EPA ratings or whatever , but until it bothers me Im not going to worry about it at this point.

mURmECH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor, 2019 Ranger
On my Raptor, I can't even tell the auto start/stop engaged and it takes a split second to start right back up and with the stereo on, you'll never know it even happened. I heard that Ford uses a upgraded starter or an additional starter for the auto/start stop. I haven't dug that deep to find out, but everything seems fine and works like it is supposed to.

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
Didn't mean to upset anyone but this is the way is and it won't change for the better. Just like seat belts one day if you don't wear it the car will call the cops on you. I have a mustang gt 350, I do three things seat belt turn off start stop and the mufflers, screw the neighbors. Mark my words one day you ain't gonna be able to turn it off. So take the one second to push the button.

OP
OP
Desert_5G

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
pre ordered the auto start/stop eliminator. :D

kep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I was all over getting rid of this before I got the truck and now that I have it I gotta tell ya that it really doesnt bother me at all.

I can count on two hands the amount of times Ive noticed it shutting off in 3000km, but I do think that may depend on where you live. Id say its much more likely to happen in the city and I definitely dont live there, lol.

It requires everything to be just right to shut off, temp, steering wheel angle, load on engine, how much brake is applied, etc, etc. Im not thinking about fuel savings here either as Im sure its minimal, just thinking about the annoyance factor.

I get the extra wear and tear as that was my thought too, but I first experienced this on a VW diesel van I rented in France way back in 2012 and havent heard much about excessive failure on the many different vehicles that have it now.

Anyway, everyones different and I may change my mind yet as it does still surprise me the rare times it happens, but time will tell.

Cheers, Todd
yup, I have found it to pretty much be a non issue

Godzilla_Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger Super Crew
yup, I have found it to pretty much be a non issue
Ditto. My commute has some stops and I decided to use it this week. I get a bit of a dim with the headlights when it starts sometimes but now I barely notice it. I may hit the switch or drive in Sport though just because like a lot of others I worry about wear and tear.

Now the F-150 I rented this summer... that you could tell when it started and stopped.

Tra1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 501A and Tow
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I think the eliminator would be nice. You can always turn it on, when you wanted too.

Marc F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4
I got my truck yesterday and today was my first day commuting home from work in the Ranger. I live in a city with stop and go traffic and it 100% needed to be turned off on my drive home. To me it was way too harsh on the start up. I had a loaner F150 immediately before this and never felt the need to disabled on the exact same commute.

I’ll probably give it some time and see if I get used to it. Otherwise I’ll be coming back to this thread to figure out how to permanently disable the damn thing!

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
Auto start stop wiring diagrams for those that are curious...
Auto Start pg2.jpg
Auto Start pg3.jpg
Auto Start pg1.jpg

technological_marvel

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black Ranger LARIAT FX4
I have read that the easiest way to disable auto-start-stop is to hook up the trailer wiring. The "auto-start-stop eliminator kit" is just a trailer wiring harness that tricks the truck into thinking a trailer is attached, automatically disabling start-stop.

edit: That being said, I live in a rural enough area and my commute is such that I don't think the feature will be bothersome to me. Time will tell, still have a little more wait until I take delivery.
Sponsored