SSM 49264 - Climate Control Temperature Will Not Adjust With Clicking/Snapping Noise From The Dash

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Dash still has to.come out. The blend door is in the distribution box and the box is what warps. Still have to replace the box assemblie
Right. I just hope they do a good job.
Sponsored

HAMMERTIME

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Hawk Topper
Occupation
Retired
Further update: A/C is still working great. Got a call from Ford Corp. yesterday and after telling them about the $500 I'm still out of pocket for an issue that should have been fixed before my warranty expired, they have stepped up with $500 worth of FordPass Reward points. Works for me as I can pay for my LOF services to use the points. The advise I can pass on is if you find you need this repair and are over but close to the end of your mileage warranty, involve Ford Corp right away. They have been amazing to deal with. Be patient as it will take time. Mine was 3 months from first issue to final repair and my costs reimbursed.

SteelWheelDeplorable

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
My Ranger has a click (deck of cards type noise) but ONLY when changing to the air position from any setting to the face setting. More WHEN THE CABIN IS HOT.

All air positions work just fine and air blows cold/heat hot.

I noticed the blower motor is pretty weaksauce on our trucks, it's basically useless til about 80%-100% knob turned up with recirc on.

I noticed when I shift the air position to floor/face it's just a bunch of noise and very little air to the face.

Is my HVAC case shot? Anyone experience this with their truck?

Trying to gauge the severity of this as my bumper to bumper is coming to an end soon based on mileage and I don't need a green tech taking my entire dash out.

Last edited:

HAMMERTIME

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Anthony, the clicking you are hearing is the actuator trying to move a blend door that is sticking. Get your truck into the dealer and get it fixed before your warranty is up. The dash out is not as bad as one would think as it comes out in one piece. That said you do want a good tech doing it. What month was your truck built? The TSB for this is from 2019 to July 2020 built trucks.

SteelWheelDeplorable

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Anthony, the clicking you are hearing is the actuator trying to move a blend door that is sticking. Get your truck into the dealer and get it fixed before your warranty is up. The dash out is not as bad as one would think as it comes out in one piece. That said you do want a good tech doing it. What month was your truck built? The TSB for this is from 2019 to July 2020 built trucks.
It’s a 2020

SteelWheelDeplorable

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
I ended up finding this one at my work, before I buy it can anyone confirm this is the proper actuator, it looks very similar to the one in the YouTube video. Both are "Mode" actuators, @dmeyer302

774B87E7-9623-4E1A-8A04-4C5971AF6388.jpeg

71086619-32B5-4F1B-AB13-974B159F8D50.jpeg

3AD3A1D4-3458-4BF5-8E9F-33D84BA84F59.jpeg

Last edited:

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I ended up finding this one at my work, before I buy it can anyone confirm this is the proper actuator, it looks very similar to the one in the YouTube video. Both are "Mode" actuators, @dmeyer302

774B87E7-9623-4E1A-8A04-4C5971AF6388.jpeg

71086619-32B5-4F1B-AB13-974B159F8D50.jpeg

3AD3A1D4-3458-4BF5-8E9F-33D84BA84F59.jpeg
My understanding after reading the thread here is that they swap out the whole assembly because there's something warped or a defect in the design that causes the door to catch. Swapping out just the actuator might lead you right back to where you are today.

HAMMERTIME

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It will. The heater box gets warped at the doors catch. I had new actuators installed in both sides and they both failed again within 3 weeks. If the doors are sticking, the heater box must be changed. I know it sucks but it is the only long term fix.

SteelWheelDeplorable

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Doors don't stick since all air positions do work and the temps adjust perfectly without any noise, mainly just a little gear type noise only when the position is changed.

SteelWheelDeplorable

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
Little update for anyone with this noise that’s following. I went to Ford they said the noises are normal from the actuators and my Vin didn’t fall within the build date for a warranty hvac case.
I went and got the mode actuator I replaced it myself, the is noise gone! I didn’t need to drill the dash frame support like the YouTube video though. To remove that last screw I used a set of ultra low pro Japanese screwdrivers found on eBay. Saved the dash pull ? if the noise returns I’ll post again.
E4A55C86-EE59-476E-967D-938917B928A8.jpeg

5EEAE2F9-171A-48F3-A8DA-8F57135001AC.jpeg

Last edited:

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
For those of you who have had this repair done, did Ford run into other issues with your Ranger? If so, did they give you a loaner or rental vehicle while they fixed it?

Of course they ran into problems with something completely unrelated when performing this warranty repair on my Ranger last week. I dropped my Ranger off at the dealership Monday June 25th at 830 am, and I still don't have it back. They said the heater box went fine, but they were trying to reprogram the BCM for some reason, and now my Ranger is all messed up. They can't get all of the error codes to go away. They said when the driver's door is open, the Ranger thinks it is closed, but when the door is closed, it thinks the door is open. Also the airbag light is on and won't go away. Finally today they called me with an update that the Ford engineers they have been in contact with told them to order a new GEM module, which I really hope fixes these issues.

I'm supposed to be taking a small road trip out of town this weekend and pulling my boat along with us, but it is sounding highly unlikely that my Ranger will be done before I leave. They claim they don't have any loaner vehicles because they are so short on used vehicles to sell, which I can understand. I'm thinking about calling up Ford's customer service and see if they will pay for a rental vehicle, at least for the weekend so I can bring my boat on our adventure. It doesn't even need to be anything big since my boat with trailer weighs less than 2000lbs. Suggestions anyone?

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
They claim they don't have any loaner vehicles because they are so short on used vehicles to sell, which I can understand.
I had a CEL for the EVAP sensor an they wouldn't schedule my repair until they had a loaner come back to give me. My truck was drivable with a non critical CEL though.
Sponsored