SSM 49264 - Climate Control Temperature Will Not Adjust With Clicking/Snapping Noise From The Dash

Jfleming

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4wd Supercab, 1996 Ranger XLT 2WD
Occupation
Fireman
FYI-

SSM 49264 - 2019-2020 Ranger - Climate Control Temperature Will Not Adjust With Clicking/Snapping Noise From The Dash - Built On Or Before 30-Jul-2020

Some 2019-2020 Ranger vehicles built on or before 30-Jul-2020 may experience poor and/or no temperature change when the temperature is adjusted in the climate control system. There may also be a clicking/snapping noise from behind the instrument panel. Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) B1082 and/or B1081 may also be retrieved from the front controls interface module (FCIM). This may be due to an issue with the blend door and its controls. To avoid repeat repairs, it is recommended to replace the climate control housing assembly (service base part# 18478). Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 412-00.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2019 - 2020 TRUCK: FG P375N RANGER
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jfleming

Jfleming

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4wd Supercab, 1996 Ranger XLT 2WD
Occupation
Fireman
Lets hope that this is a very rare issue with any of our Trucks.
That's for sure! It is a huge job. You have to recover the AC, drain the coolant, and pull out the whole dashboard - console, steering column, etc... I have done this on other vehicles, it is never easy.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Lets hope that this is a very rare issue with any of our Trucks.
Pretty common issue on other ford vehicles. They use plastic gears in the blend door. The one in my wife's Focus groans when moving but hasn't broken yet

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Well mine he's going to be fixed here in the next month. I just had the dealership do the verification because oh we have to go through that lovely process. If anything is really the air distribution box and not the HVAC box. I got to see the diagram from a parts department to verify this. The only thing I hope is that the HVAC box doesn't have to come out as an assembly. I won't hold my breath on that but one can only hope.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Well, I think my Ranger might have this issue. I have noticed recently that I can't turn the heat down once the Ranger is fully warmed up and the air coming out of the vents is hot. Its cold here so I have the heat set to 80ish until it is good and warm in the cab, but I can turn the temp all the way down to low and the air coming out is still hot. If I turn the passenger's side temp down, it will blow cooler air out of the 2 passenger's side vents, but nothing will make the driver's side cool down now.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want the dealership to have to pull the entire dash out of my vehicle. I have very little faith in them and can guarantee they will break/scratch/ruin something they won't take the blame for. They already have while "fixing" other problems.

berlow94

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 1987 BMW 325IS Track car, 1979 Mazda RX7
I believe it’s a different blend door, but I have noticed that I don’t hear anything happen when I press the button that switches from outside air to recirculate.

Also when I press the button, it lights up, but then turns itself back after 5-10 minutes...
This is on a 2020 Lariat.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I think my Ranger might have this issue. I have noticed recently that I can't turn the heat down once the Ranger is fully warmed up and the air coming out of the vents is hot. Its cold here so I have the heat set to 80ish until it is good and warm in the cab, but I can turn the temp all the way down to low and the air coming out is still hot. If I turn the passenger's side temp down, it will blow cooler air out of the 2 passenger's side vents, but nothing will make the driver's side cool down now.

I REALLY REALLY REALLY don't want the dealership to have to pull the entire dash out of my vehicle. I have very little faith in them and can guarantee they will break/scratch/ruin something they won't take the blame for. They already have while "fixing" other problems.
HI Troy,

Something is wrong if drivers side won't adjust...do you have dual driver/passenger settings and did not adjust driver's side. I have had this happen to my wife on her MKX of old. She kept adjusting the passenger temps but not the driver side....

Dash removal is a nightmare and guaranteed to result in rattles. We NVH engineers dreaded the need to remove the dash...tracking down the squeaks and rattles was so time consuming and likely not going to occur in a Dealer environment.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Accountant
HI Troy,

Something is wrong if drivers side won't adjust...do you have dual driver/passenger settings and did not adjust driver's side. I have had this happen to my wife on her MKX of old. She kept adjusting the passenger temps but not the driver side....

Dash removal is a nightmare and guaranteed to result in rattles. We NVH engineers dreaded the need to remove the dash...tracking down the squeaks and rattles was so time consuming and likely not going to occur in a Dealer environment.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Yeah I can adjust the driver's side temp and the air coming from the vents will still be very hot. I guess its better than too cold this time of year. I will look around and see if I can figure out where the mechanical parts are that control temp for each side and see if something is just stuck.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Yeah I can adjust the driver's side temp and the air coming from the vents will still be very hot. I guess its better than too cold this time of year. I will look around and see if I can figure out where the mechanical parts are that control temp for each side and see if something is just stuck.
The mechanical parts that make it work are the temp actuator and the distribution box. The distribution box holds the temp doors and has to be replaced as an assembly.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I had a problem recently...at about 27k. All the sudden a/c wasn't blowing cold on the driver's side of my dual climate controls on my 2019 Lariat, passenger side blows cold. Fixed under warranty, it was an actuator sensor for the driver side a/c panel door.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Accountant
I had a problem recently...at about 27k. All the sudden a/c wasn't blowing cold on the driver's side of my dual climate controls on my 2019 Lariat, passenger side blows cold. Fixed under warranty, it was an actuator sensor for the driver side a/c panel door.
In your case, was it a simple fix? Honestly if mine requires pulling the dash I don't know if I'd have them do it.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
In your case, was it a simple fix? Honestly if mine requires pulling the dash I don't know if I'd have them do it.
Honestly, they had it all day and I have no idea what it took to fix it.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry I didn’t get my update back into this thread. My Ranger is back at the dealer having the entire dash pulled to change the climate control module. Sad but true! At least I’m getting it done before the 3/36 is up...I’m at 34K.
The 5/125K warranty kicks in next but there is a $100 deductible. Full comprehensive though.
Sponsored