First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I will check it again at above 70 mph..mine stays in 8th@ 60mph in sport mode..
Update...traction control off...stop start off...sport mode automatic...60 mph 8th gear...70 mph 9th...78 mph 10th gear..this is my truck though your maybe different..

Also my sport mode stopped shifting automatically if the plus sign is engaged , only goes to manual..hmm
Sponsored

Last edited:

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I run mine in S around town because it's more fun. I'll drop it back to D on the highway so it settles into the 9th and 10th gears. I don't push the side +/- at all. If you are in D and press + it shows your gears in the Lariat on the right screen. If you are in S it manually shifts as well. No need to use those buttons generally speaking though, just shift the lever between D and S.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I run mine in S around town because it's more fun. I'll drop it back to D on the highway so it settles into the 9th and 10th gears. I don't push the side +/- at all. If you are in D and press + it shows your gears in the Lariat on the right screen. If you are in S it manually shifts as well. No need to use those buttons generally speaking though, just shift the lever between D and S.
Is it ok to do that on the move?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Update...traction control off...stop start off...sport mode automatic...60 mph 8th gear...70 mph 9th...78 mph 10th gear..this is my truck though your maybe different..

Also my sport mode stopped shifting automatically if the plus sign is engaged , only goes to manual..hmm

It will go back to auto mode if you hit plus and hold it, or it will up-shift at 7K if you're still in S mode on the manual setting.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Will it spin off the line in both
It will, but only with traction control disabled. It still 'spins' a tiny bit with the traction control enabled, but it's almost not noticeable.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It will, but only with traction control disabled. It still 'spins' a tiny bit with the traction control enabled, but it's almost not noticeable.
That’s why I got a locker....after a tune and Dyno it’s going to the track !

Michael Bailey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape SE 2.0 4x4, 1974 Norton Commando 850, 1967 Norton P11 750
Occupation
Trout Fisher, Layabout, US Army SGM (Ret)
Vehicle Showcase
If "S" lowers shift points, there is no way it does not reduce fuel economy, at least marginally.

That is just physics.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
In sport auto..how do you know if it went to 10?
By shifting out of sport back into D to see what gear it's in. No change in RPM and it shows 10th gear. Mine will settle in to 10th at around 65 mph. Must be a transmission learning thing since mine has literally only been driven in S since day one.

Reactions: Doc

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
this is overdrive gearing 101.

if you run higher RPM, you're burning more fuel.

so cruising at a set speed on the highway in 8th gear vs 10th gear will undoubtedly use fuel at a different rate. this is why they get fuel economy numbers that they do with 10 speed transmissions. you're not running such an rpm spread with every shift. you keep the motor in as low an RPM range as you can.

in town, zipping around wanting to throw your ass into the seat at every light chirping the tires at the old lady in the Fusion beside you...who cares about your fuel economy or your shift point, you're trading fuel for fun times.
I'm no expert, but it has to be more than just RPMs that affect MPG. If you are turning low RPMS but have to step on the pedal hard to go up a hill (for example), it seems like I would use less gas (less pedal anyway) if it shifted to a lower gear. But maybe the computer figures all that out.

I'm amazed at the torque this engine has - it likes to stay in a high gear and even when I push down on the pedal it does keep up usually. The other thing I noticed is that it seems like it has a high idle speed (if the digital tach is accurate) - it looks like it idles at 1100-1200 RPM. I'm used to engines idling in 7-900 range.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
this is overdrive gearing 101.

if you run higher RPM, you're burning more fuel.

so cruising at a set speed on the highway in 8th gear vs 10th gear will undoubtedly use fuel at a different rate. this is why they get fuel economy numbers that they do with 10 speed transmissions. you're not running such an rpm spread with every shift. you keep the motor in as low an RPM range as you can.

in town, zipping around wanting to throw your ass into the seat at every light chirping the tires at the old lady in the Fusion beside you...who cares about your fuel economy or your shift point, you're trading fuel for fun times.
10/4

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
Is it ok to do that on the move?
I don't see why not! The shifter isn't even locked in S, you can nudge it right back to D without squeezing the trigger. If you squeeze you need to make sure you don't skip D and go to Neutral.
Sponsored