Sport Mode Uphill, Tow Mode Downhill

TICKLE ZOMBIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT 2WD Sport
As the title suggests from what I gathered from intel is best to use sport mode uphill and tow mode downhill for better engine braking even if I am not towing/hauling anything?
I am going on a road trip soon that will take me up and over the Blue Ridge Parkway. I know I can just keep it in “regular” mode the whole time also.
Sponsored

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
As the title suggests from what I gathered from intel is best to use sport mode uphill and tow mode downhill for better engine braking even if I am not towing/hauling anything?
I am going on a road trip soon that will take me up and over the Blue Ridge Parkway. I know I can just keep it in “regular” mode the whole time also.
I think that sounds like a good strategy for a trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Where I live all the roads are flat and straight. A spirited drive on the BRP sounds great to me. I'd be in S mode mostly, and I can see tow mode helping with downhill/braking needs. Locking out gears would help if your using D, but if your using S and tow mode, there shouldn't be much lugging into higher gears. Enjoy the trip!

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
You might be over thinking this. I suggest you try what Rick ( @Trigganometry ) says or just put it in Sport mode from the start and leave it there. Either way, the truck will react to hills (going up or down) in a way you will appreciate.

I just finished a 2,500 mile east coast trip - most of it in Sport mode because it seems to me that the truck reacts quicker to inclines when I’m using Cruise Control. When I’m in “D” the truck seems to lag before adjusting throttle when starting to climb. It’s similar when cruise is off so I use Sport mode because I hate losing speed on hills. Maybe others have experienced this, maybe it’s just me.

As far as using tow mode goes, that’s the overthinking part I started this reply with. This truck’s ten-speed transmission does a good job of downshifting for declines without having to go that extra step. Personally, if I tried the technique you‘re considering, at the crest of every hill, I’d be like Desi Arnaz in The Long, Long Trailer, “TOW MODE FIRST!!!” (Boomers be laughing, everyone else be like, Whaaaaaat?)

Maybe try your sport/tow mode idea one way and on the return, try one of the other suggestions. Then you can make an informed decision that is unique to your personal driving style.

OP
OP
TICKLE ZOMBIE

TICKLE ZOMBIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I should have edited better before I wrote the initial message…I meant going up and over the Blue Ridge Mountain via interstate 40.

I know coming down the mountain towards Raleigh is steeper than heading west.

the plan is to put it in tow mode then, but sport mode is sufficient?

You might be over thinking this. I suggest you try what Rick ( @Trigganometry ) says or just put it in Sport mode from the start and leave it there. Either way, the truck will react to hills (going up or down) in a way you will appreciate.

I just finished a 2,500 mile east coast trip - most of it in Sport mode because it seems to me that the truck reacts quicker to inclines when I’m using Cruise Control. When I’m in “D” the truck seems to lag before adjusting throttle when starting to climb. It’s similar when cruise is off so I use Sport mode because I hate losing speed on hills. Maybe others have experienced this, maybe it’s just me.

As far as using tow mode goes, that’s the overthinking part I started this reply with. This truck’s ten-speed transmission does a good job of downshifting for declines without having to go that extra step. Personally, if I tried the technique you‘re considering, at the crest of every hill, I’d be like Desi Arnaz in The Long, Long Trailer, “TOW MODE FIRST!!!” (Boomers be laughing, everyone else be like, Whaaaaaat?)

Maybe try your sport/tow mode idea one way and on the return, try one of the other suggestions. Then you can make an informed decision that is unique to your personal driving style.

Old NaCl

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger 2X4
Occupation
Mechanical Designer
I40 maybe S mode between Canton and Newport, but avg speed west of Asheville is 85.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
For me, it’s sufficient - YMMV. I feel my truck downshift when in Sport mode coasting downhill on steep grades. More so when using Cruise Control as it tries to maintain the chosen speed, but yeah, I also when just coasting along a long rest area exit ramp as I slow from 120 to 40.

I can’t compare my experience to Tow mode because I’ve never used it. You might find it helpful. I’m happy with how Sport works for me, others prefer to lock out gears, you may find you LOVE Tow mode.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TICKLE ZOMBIE

TICKLE ZOMBIE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
coming back towards Asheville however would you keep it in sport or tow mode better for engine braking.
every other car I owned was Honda Fit sized…easy to slow down ?

I40 maybe S mode between Canton and Newport, but avg speed west of Asheville is 85.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
coming back towards Asheville however would you keep it in sport or tow mode better for engine braking.
I thought I hit a pothole with my Ranger, it turned out to be a Honda Fit.

? ?

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Locking out gears sounds like more work. ?
The other way I just move lever into sport and/or press a button. ?‍♂
Once you are in Tow Mode, the truck remembers.
Shift into S whenever you like, and when you shift back to D, it'll still be in Tow Mode.

For additional reading (and maybe more than you actually want to know) here's a set of articles about the 10R80 and its ratios and shift strategies.
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/12/exclusive-inside-look-fords-new-10-speed-transmission/
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/12/saturation-dive-ford-10-speed-transmission-power-flow/

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Once you are in Tow Mode, the truck remembers.
Shift into S whenever you like, and when you shift back to D, it'll still be in Tow Mode.
This , every day... when I put the key in and start it I hit the ASS and the TOW buttons at the same time , don't even look anymore as it's a reflex ...

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
The only "mode" that supplies braking is tow mode, unless you manually down shift to lower gears.
In sport, your going to be constantly down or up shifting depending on the terrain....will get old quickly.
As some others have posted, don't over think....just put it in tow mode and drive. On an interstate there will be no lag, plenty of acceleration, and braking. Sport mode, you may find that the rpm's are high when there's no need.
Sponsored