First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
I have read a lot of post talking about sport mode and even went to the owners manual and read about it. It states that the truck will hold the gear a little longer. I'm wondering, is it supposed to auto shift? Mine doesn't, I let 1st gear red line before I finally shifted. Then I threw it back in drive. The way I read the manual, I would assume it would shift in it's on; unless I'm missing something.
Sponsored

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I have read a lot of post talking about sport mode and even went to the owners manual and read about it. It states that the truck will hold the gear a little longer. I'm wondering, is it supposed to auto shift? Mine doesn't, I let 1st gear red line before I finally shifted. Then I threw it back in drive. The way I read the manual, I would assume it would shift in it's on; unless I'm missing something.
If you press the +/- button it puts it in manual shift mode. If you shift to sport mode and do not touch the button it will shift automatically.

OP
OP
Bproctor

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
NC National Guard
If you press the +/- button it puts it in manual shift mode. If you shift to sport mode and do not touch the button it will shift automatically.

Thank you!!!

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2020 Escape AWD Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
It's all in the owner's manual.

OP
OP
Bproctor

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
NC National Guard
Well I missed that part. It happens, if not we wouldn't really need this forum now would we? ??

I appreciate those of you who actually offer help and advice within here. I've enjoyed having this as a resource and have learned a lot.

And, then again seasoned mechanics miss items in the manuals sometimes also. I know I work with them every day. ?

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
I just tried sport mode - Ive always been happy with the normal D mode, the truck has plenty of power (surprised since its only a 4 cyl -I have always been a V8 person) but the S mode really does make it more responsive I haven't played with it much because it only had a few thousand miles on it so I didn't want to rev it to much .... but now its good and broken in. the more I drive this thing, the more I get to like it

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
I love sports mode. But man it seams wasteful. As it drops mileage considerably. 22 vs 18mpg on my truck.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Just so you know....

When you install the Ford supported performance package, sports mode thangs its colors! Remembering that the powertrain module uses fuzzy logic, the upgrade becomes a beast of its own. Whether in Drive or Sports mode, the powertrain learns your driving habits, and adapts to them. While the stock tune adapts too, not nearly as noticeable as the upgrade does.
Sponsored