Sport Mode

MajorDomo

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT
I can't find anything in the Owners manual so I thought I would ask here. When I select sport mode the release button on the drive select lever does not lock in place. So I can bump it forward back into D without depressing the release button. Is this normal? No big deal it just seems like a stupid design choice.
Sponsored

Oscar Grouch

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Occupation
Engineer
That’s pretty standard for automatic transmissions. Typically, you can use positions past “D” to lock out the higher gears when you want more engine braking, such as going down steep hills. You typically don’t need to press the lever to shift out of these gears.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
It's just the way the shift lever is in the Ranger. Do be careful though. If you just slap it back towards (D)rive while it's in (S)port. It's easy to knock it all the way past and into neutral before the detent catches.

OP
OP

MajorDomo

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT
That’s pretty standard for automatic transmissions. Typically, you can use positions past “D” to lock out the higher gears when you want more engine braking, such as going down steep hills. You typically don’t need to press the lever to shift out of these gears.
Don't agree with this being a "standard". I have owned many German cars that do not behave this way. Sport is a mode just like Drive. I don't get why it doesn't have a detent.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I can't find anything in the Owners manual so I thought I would ask here. When I select sport mode the release button on the drive select lever does not lock in place. So I can bump it forward back into D without depressing the release button. Is this normal? No big deal it just seems like a stupid design choice.
Why is that a stupid design?

You can push it up without depressing the button. If you had to press the button to do so, you COULD put it all the way to park or neutral.

In all your design experience, how would you have ensured this without doing it this way?

OP
OP

MajorDomo

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT
;
Why is that a stupid design?

You can push it up without depressing the button. If you had to press the button to do so, you COULD put it all the way to park or neutral.

In all your design experience, how would you have ensured this without doing it this way?
Obviously you have never driven a German designed vehicle. They use a bump switch. Much better IMHO.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Obviously you have never driven a German designed vehicle. They use a bump switch. Much better IMHO.

The only German cars I've ever driven have been track prepped, three pedals.

Why is this design you speak of superior?

Obviously you've never driven a truck?

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I actually like it for a run up on the highway here in Houston. Sitting at a stop, select S... because who knows if Ill need WOT and some extreme stuff to get on the ramp.... or can I just putz on up to highway speed. Not that it would take much to push the button but I like that I can just bump it into D once the sport mode isn't needed to get into the flow of traffic safely.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
I actually like it for a run up on the highway here in Houston. Sitting at a stop, select S... because who knows if Ill need WOT and some extreme stuff to get on the ramp.... or can I just putz on up to highway speed. Not that it would take much to push the button but I like that I can just bump it into D once the sport mode isn't needed to get into the flow of traffic safely.
What he said…. What no paddle shifters??

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It's normal and the only time I find it bothersome is when I'm in S mode off road. When I'm going up a steep incline or down a steep decline I like to use S to keep it in a lower gear. I'll have my hand on the shifter and going over a bumpy area it'll push it forward into D. Luckily D has a detent that stops it from going further but there are times I wish S had this too.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I actually like the TM mode and speed control but it’s more of a novelty than a necessity..

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Self throttle and brake modulation has always been my go to but in sport mode it can get ridiculous from the revs…
Sponsored