Sound: 2.3 vs 3.0

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I think I recall discussing this previously and using some motorcycle engine designs as examples.

The great sound you are seeking is sitting in crossplane crank engine designs - and neither of these trucks are getting it. It's the the engine firing order that gives it that sewing machine sound.

All cylinders fire at 180 degree intervals, giving even combustion sounds - meh. Crossplane cranks have alternating cylinders firing at 90 degrees - giving uneven combustion sounds. This results in an uneven lope at idle, and at high revs a secondary lower pitch frequency in the exhaust. basically that engine is going to roar. Not only that, the engine is going to be better balanced and have a more linear power delivery.

In the motorcycle world, This is the late model Yamaha R1, which freakin ROARS, and everything else which sounds like a screaming sewing machine. Example video timestamped:

So why don't we all get engines that have this crank design? Crossplane cranks are harder to manufacture and cost a lot more. That's it. Everyone's sewing machine engines are a result of manufacturers cheaping out.

RangerRandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paint and Body
They both sound like poop to me but if I had to choose, I'd go with the new Raptor v6.

Max Crafter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
What's up guys, max crafter here.

I choose neither.
I'm a solid V8 fanboy.
Should be laws against any kind of aftermarket exhaust on anything but a V8

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Well I guess this is an option if you can get your truck to Australia for the conversion.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
While I think the 2.3 actually sounded better, what I am personally looking for is more flow and still quiet. That is how I know I am getting old I think :crazy:

I just like being able to smash on it for whatever reason and not advertise I am doing that. What I do want to hear more of is the turbo (the stock BOV is enough for me though).

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer not to hear it at all to be honest...

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer not to hear it at all to be honest...
I went with middle ground, only exhaust component I have is cutting out the factory tub of a muffler and installing a Flowmaster 40 series.

Sounds great on warm up, but otherwise pretty timid rumble outside of WOT.

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
I love everyone ragging on the sound of a 4 cylinder... Yeah they're no V8 or even V6, but if you carefully choose your exhaust you can get a nice refined sound. Problem is a lot of people just throw cheap exhausts on 4 bangers, so they all sound like weed-eaters with diarrhea, but if you buy a quality kit then you'll get a nice sound, more akin to a rally car (only 4 bangers i can think of that sound cool). That being said, the ecoboost is probably the least inspired sounding 4 banger, but nonetheless with a good exhaust it'll sound pretty solid.

Granted my Ranger has stock exhaust, hasn't been high on my priority list, but I got my Focus ST sounding pretty amazing back in the day with the catless downpipe and Thermal R&D exhaust. Still hoping those guys make a kit for the Ranger, but not holding my breath...

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I went with middle ground, only exhaust component I have is cutting out the factory tub of a muffler and installing a Flowmaster 40 series.

Sounds great on warm up, but otherwise pretty timid rumble outside of WOT.
My cheapo MBRP cat back sounds like that too...rumbles at startup and after that I don't hear it while driving...then there's that glorious V34 sound coming out of the speakers at WOT...thankfully no one outside can hear that lol...

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
My cheapo aftermarket cat back sounds like that too...rumbles at startup and after that I don't hear when driving...then there's that glorious V34 sound coming out of the speakers at WOT...thankfully no one outside can hear that lol...
On a rare occasion someone had to borrow my truck to run down the street some time back. I told him to gas it a bit on the way out so I could actually hear what it sounded like. So a couple of streets away on the main road I heard it and the fun PSHHHHHSSSSSSSS from the boomba adapter when he let off the gas.

I was always wondering if what I heard in the cabin was the fake crap, but it sounded the same listening from the outside.