Ranger Vs 2.3 Mustang

• Thread starter Deleted member 773
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0

Deleted member 773

Last week I was over in Kauai working so we rented the a “work truck,” a silver convertible mustang with the 2.3 (they were out of GTs.) It was a lot of fun to say the least. Track mode with mommy turned off was a riot, it has just enough power to beak lose off the line and keep the rears spinning until 2nd. Rallied it in a field and got suck after a while, did a number of burnouts, etc. It had a 6 speed and compared to the ranger 10 speed, it feels underpowered, the throttle response/gear selection wasn’t as quick as the truck. It was an interesting experience to drive two very different vehicles essentially back to back that share (almost) the same engine.

C1371101-435B-4483-9E2C-0E69E7D98681.png
Sponsored

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Haha! And THAT is why you don't buy rental cars folks! :LOL:

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
Last week I was over in Kauai working so we rented the a “work truck,” a silver convertible mustang with the 2.3 (they were out of GTs.) It was a lot of fun to say the least. Track mode with mommy turned off was a riot, it has just enough power to beak lose off the line and keep the rears spinning until 2nd. Rallied it in a field and got suck after a while, did a number of burnouts, etc. It had a 6 speed and compared to the ranger 10 speed, it feels underpowered, the throttle response/gear selection wasn’t as quick as the truck. It was an interesting experience to drive two very different vehicles essentially back to back that share (almost) the same engine.

C1371101-435B-4483-9E2C-0E69E7D98681.png
You made the news the other week. Something about destroying native protected land

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I just drove a EB covertible mustang this past weekend too haha I agree, it felt way slower than the Ranger and much less responsive, even with the 6 MT!

I was curious why it was so slow, because I've been in other EB Mustangs before (albeit coupes). Turns out a EB coupe Mustang has a 0-60 of 5.5 and a EB vert Mustang has a 0-60 of 6.1. That soft top adds a lot of weight!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I just drove a EB covertible mustang this past weekend too haha I agree, it felt way slower than the Ranger and much less responsive, even with the 6 MT!

I was curious why it was so slow, because I've been in other EB Mustangs before (albeit coupes). Turns out a EB coupe Mustang has a 0-60 of 5.5 and a EB vert Mustang has a 0-60 of 6.1. That soft top adds a lot of weight!
I think the 10 speed is a key reason the 2.3 works so well in the Ranger. It has enough gears to pick from to keep the engine in its power band. And they did a good job with the programming so it isn't hunting for gears.

OP
OP

Deleted member 773

I think the 10 speed is a key reason the 2.3 works so well in the Ranger. It has enough gears to pick from to keep the engine in its power band. And they did a good job with the programming so it isn't hunting for gears.
Agree with both of you, the mustang is faster than the ranger on paper but as far as drivetrain feel and responsiveness the ranger felt quicker and more refined.

808 Matt- I figured, I’m jealous of your life out there!

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Probably so in everyday driving, but nothing will meet the responsiveness of punching the throttle in a stick shift at peak torque. I tried all sorts of throttle/gear combinations but it just wasn't the same.

OP
OP

Deleted member 773

Probably so in everyday driving, but nothing will meet the responsiveness of punching the throttle in a stick shift at peak torque. I tried all sorts of throttle/gear combinations but it just wasn't the same.
Heck yeah! I really miss having a manual transmission in traffic. Sport helps a little with providing some engine breaking in the ranger, dang thing rolls too good in drive!

Hllll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 XLT 302A with Sport package

so interesting...I had the opposite reaction, I thought the Ranger was very underpowered - granted it was a crew cab.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
so interesting...I had the opposite reaction, I thought the Ranger was very underpowered - granted it was a crew cab.
I think you're the first person to think that the Ranger is underpowered haha. This whole forum and all the reviews are very happy with how responsive the engine is, especially with the low to mid range torque. Of course this is all relative - the comparison is based off of all the other midsize truck engines. This truck is no hot rod/Lightning.

Spiritfish

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Supercab, Lightning Blue
I think you're the first person to think that the Ranger is underpowered haha. This whole forum and all the reviews are very happy with how responsive the engine is, especially with the low to mid range torque. Of course this is all relative - the comparison is based off of all the other midsize truck engines. This truck is no hot rod/Lightning.
He must have the dreaded "Canadian Version." Don't get your panties bunched HLLLL, just funnin' ya.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
I agree. I owned a 2015 pp 2.3 and traded it after 5 months for a 2016 pp gt because of the the 2.3 fell on its face after 4500rpm and just did not have the v8 rumble. But I do remember thinking with its low end torque it would be a great truck motor. The mustang had 3.73 rear with manual 6 speed. The 10 speed auto makes a difference for sure.
Sponsored