Sound: 2.3 vs 3.0

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
What's up guys, superdannyboy here.

What do you guys think sounds better?

A 2.3 ranger with a downpipe and catback exhaust or the new ranger raptor with the 3.0 in Baja exhaust mode?

Sponsored

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Is neither an option?

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
I like the 2.3 better, its more distinct. The 3.0 sounds like most f-150s, which kind of remind me of the 350/370z.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
No offense to anyone who does these type of mods but personally they all sound like a fart can. Maybe growing up listening to the real sounds of a roaring V8 with headers has spoiled me. Like Dave @navsnipe this is all all hear day and night racing around our streets. It sounds like a continuous lawnmower race going on!

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
No offense to anyone who does these type of mods but personally they all sound like a fart can. Maybe growing up listening to the real sounds of a roaring V8 with headers has spoiled me. Like Dave @navsnipe this is all all hear day and night racing around our streets. It sounds like a continuous lawnmower race going on!
So with you. Man I get tired of the fart can/bumble 🐝 mufflers. It's a freaking 4 cylinder! Just keep it quiet. Can't even really make a 6 sound good. Just is what it is. But OMG at the sound of a V8. Music. Pure music.

Last edited:

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
crack.jpg

To the OP: the 2.3 sounded better to me, but I don't like either to be real. A four banger is just that and no exhaust mods will ever make it, or any V6 variant for that matter, sound any more enticing than what I imagine when I see this...
P&S.jpg

OP
OP
Superdannyboy

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Lol I agree. I personally love the mid-size for off-road high speed. I have a 2017 f150 5.0 and love hearing it roar. But with the 2.3 the downpipe is one of the biggest performance bolt ons with the intake and exhaust and a tune. Without those mods the ranger is just slow and not fun to me.

There are times where I'm getting on the highway or just need to floor it, if I want to get ahead of the car coming, and the f150 just doesn't pull like the ranger. Granted everything on the f150 is stock to last long.

Having a long travel mid size truck is fun so I think I'm gonna end up getting the ranger raptor even though it doesn't look as custom as a widebody 5g. I was just comparing the 2 and yea I think the 4 cylinder sounds better when they are at their strongest setup (2.3 with bolt ons/3.0 in Baja mode). I'm guessing that the 2.3 how I have it is about as fast as the 3.0 TT stock but the 3.0 stock should last way longer.

I was content with keeping the 5g and replacing the engine with a built 2.3 when it went but now that the RR is out welllll..

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
I personally never understood exhaust mods on a production truck or regular vehicle. I do understand the performance enhancement aspect but I'm always annoyed at the sound of exhaust modifications on a four cylinder engine. Especially that of a freaking mid size truck. Or those rice burners the kids drive. If it's a track car, yeah, mod away. These days I think the manufacturers are doing a good job with the stock exhaust systems, even or especially the ones with different modes such as the Mustang and of course what they're doing with the Ranger Raptor is totally badass.
To each their own I guess.
And as for my 22 Ranger, I like how quiet it is under normal driving conditions. Wide open throttle? Well it just is what it is. I didn't buy this truck to pretend it's a street racer even though it does have a decent amount of power and can accelerate rather quickly.
There is NO substitute for the sound of a V8.

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
So with you. Man I get tired of the fart can/bumble 🐝 mufflers. It's a freaking 4 cylinder! Just keep it quiet. Can't even really make a 6 sound good. Just is what it is. But OMG at the sound of a V8. Music. Pure music.
I'm with ya on that all the way.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
I was close to getting an exhaust. Then I saw a Frontier 4cyl go by me as I got gas with a modified exhaust. It just seemed weird for a small truck to sound like a small car and changed my mind for now.

Also it's fun to move as quick as I can with the tune while not making much noise.