First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
@VegasRanger glad that the shims helped resolve the shudder. Mine also had a little hint of shudder after shimming the center bearing. What struck me as odd was it was inconsistent and seemed to do it more when the truck was cold vs if I had been driving for more than 30 min. When looking up issues with this transmission and torque converter shudder led me to discover that Ford has had issues with properly filling the 10R80 by as much as two quarts. This is well documented on multiple different forums and TC shudder along with some of the other issues I had like erratic, harsh shifting, random delays shifting into reverse as well slamming into reverse from drive are all possible symptoms of low fluid. I checked the fluid level (pain in the butt) and found it to be underfilled and took it to the dealer and had them re-check it and they confirmed it was about 1.5 quarts low and topped it off. Since doing so, the inconsistent shudder is gone, as are the other issues I had been having. So it might be worth checking the fluid level or have the dealer check it the next time you take it in.
I've started to notice many of the shifting issues you've mentioned. The ones that really started to worry me are the random delayed shift into reverse and sometimes being very harsh when doing so.

Is there a way to check the fluid level easily at home?
Sponsored

OP
OP
VegasRanger

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I've started to notice many of the shifting issues you've mentioned. The ones that really started to worry me are the random delayed shift into reverse and sometimes being very harsh when doing so.

Is there a way to check the fluid level easily at home?
Someone on here posted how to do it. Do a quick search. Basically the tranny has to be a certain temp, fully warmed if I recall correctly. You then pull the dip stick and check level. The dip stick is a pain to get to though and you’ll probably burn your hand lol

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Someone on here posted how to do it. Do a quick search. Basically the tranny has to be a certain temp, fully warmed if I recall correctly. You then pull the dip stick and check level. The dip stick is a pain to get to though and you’ll probably burn your hand lol
Pretty much this. Another thing to note the dipstick plug is torqued down and there's limited room to get a wrench on it to break it loose. You can also get a Kevlar sleeve to keep from burning your arm against the cat that is just a few inches away from the transmission.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
Pretty much this. Another thing to note the dipstick plug is torqued down and there's limited room to get a wrench on it to break it loose. You can also get a Kevlar sleeve to keep from burning your arm against the cat that is just a few inches away from the transmission.
A tech said if you were to check it yourself, crack the aluminum dipstick cap loose when the truck is cold to avoid burning yourself on the exhaust pipe and cat. Don't remove it until trans is up to temp and engine is running.

Last edited:

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Yes sir. Tried three different shops. Two did road force balancing and one did old school spin balancing. That was with the old tires. Haven’t rebalanced these new ones yet. I just got them installed two days ago.
Good to hear, well man good luck. Sounds like you at least resolved the majority of it. Wonder how much could be axle wrap or something along those lines since Ford changed to multi-leaf on the Tremor?

Someone on here said the Tremor had a different driveshaft but I haven't compared it an fx4 one. Wonder if some of those items may be points of interest at all for you.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I was sitting under the truck wondering how i could possibly remove the dipstick without burning the crap out of myself. With the gloves I have this may not be possible.

ChiefQM

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
@VegasRanger glad that the shims helped resolve the shudder. Mine also had a little hint of shudder after shimming the center bearing. What struck me as odd was it was inconsistent and seemed to do it more when the truck was cold vs if I had been driving for more than 30 min. When looking up issues with this transmission and torque converter shudder led me to discover that Ford has had issues with properly filling the 10R80 by as much as two quarts. This is well documented on multiple different forums and TC shudder along with some of the other issues I had like erratic, harsh shifting, random delays shifting into reverse as well slamming into reverse from drive are all possible symptoms of low fluid. I checked the fluid level (pain in the butt) and found it to be underfilled and took it to the dealer and had them re-check it and they confirmed it was about 1.5 quarts low and topped it off. Since doing so, the inconsistent shudder is gone, as are the other issues I had been having. So it might be worth checking the fluid level or have the dealer check it the next time you take it in.
I am having the 20K mile service performed on Friday. I will ask them to check the trans fluid again (they checked it when I first reported my issue and swore it was perfect) but I have no faith they will actually do it. There is no way I can get under there to do it, I will have to take it to a shop to have it checked after they give it back if they say it is full.

Meangreen92lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Ford/Lincoln Technician
For sure going to get burned checking the trans fluid. Very little room to get in there with the exhaust right there. Ask me how I know lol.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
For sure going to get burned checking the trans fluid. Very little room to get in there with the exhaust right there. Ask me how I know lol.
I bought some welding gloves to avoid getting burned, i just dont have a short enough ratchet to get in there on the dipstick. I pondered how this is the worst possible location for a dipstick for about 20 mins just shaking my head.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I bought some welding gloves to avoid getting burned, i just dont have a short enough ratchet to get in there on the dipstick. I pondered how this is the worst possible location for a dipstick for about 20 mins just shaking my head.
I cracked my nut cold. Then just snug it. Drive until warmed up and it loosens up easy. Let it cool off and snug it back down. Really need a piston pump to add or remove fluid though

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
I cracked my nut cold. Then just snug it. Drive until warmed up and it loosens up easy. Let it cool off and snug it back down. Really need a piston pump to add or remove fluid though
I am going to try your technique tommorow morning. For a fluid pump I typically use...
thing.PNG

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Did you remove all the weights first?
Hi Steve,

You make a very good point....I have seen this time and time again on field diagnostics for vibrations that the weights were not removed before starting again with balance. The real red flag was rim weights crimped on the rim and tape weights inside the wheel. Unfortunately, you the customer has to intervene with the service center... One time, I recall so much tape weight in the inside of the wheel, It could not really be balanced. The tech was "so what...balance is balance"... I had him remove all the weights and it balances with a couple oz-inches... He said...Who would have thought... Another incident was my RV...The tech would not remove the weights from the wheels as he put these "beads" in the tires. So I grabbed channel locks and pried the weight off the 6 tires and handed them to him... He shrugged his shoulders and said "okay man!"....sheesh

BTW... For those RV folks...I use Centramatic Balance rings.... Excellent devices...

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
VegasRanger

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Hi Steve,

You make a very good point....I have seen this time and time again on field diagnostics for vibrations that the weights were not removed before starting again with balance. The real red flag was rim weights crimped on the rim and tape weights inside the wheel. Unfortunately, you the customer has to intervene with the service center... One time, I recall so much tape weight in the inside of the wheel, It could not really be balanced. The tech was "so what...balance is balance"... I had him remove all the weights and it balances with a couple oz-inches... He said...Who would have thought... Another incident was my RV...The tech would not remove the weights from the wheels as he put these "beads" in the tires. So I grabbed channel locks and pried the weight off the 6 tires and handed them to him... He shrugged his shoulders and said "okay man!"....sheesh

BTW... For those RV folks...I use Centramatic Balance rings.... Excellent devices...

Best,
Phil
Yes sir, whenever I have my wheels balanced, I make sure the tech starts over and removes old weights.

Phil since I have you on here, wanted to pick your brain regarding my highway vibration issue. I just remembered, that when my buddy let me borrow his stock Ford wheels and tires, for the first test I only swapped out the rears only and took for a test drive. My truck appeared to ride smooth. Then I went back and added the front and it went to crap. I just remembered that his were smaller tires than mine, since my front ones were taller and his rear ones smaller, did that possibly make an angle change in my driveline which corrected my vibration? Just a thought since I’m running out of ideas. Going to try this test again soon.
Sponsored