Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes sir, whenever I have my wheels balanced, I make sure the tech starts over and removes old weights.

Phil since I have you on here, wanted to pick your brain regarding my highway vibration issue. I just remembered, that when my buddy let me borrow his stock Ford wheels and tires, for the first test I only swapped out the rears only and took for a test drive. My truck appeared to ride smooth. Then I went back and added the front and it went to crap. I just remembered that his were smaller tires than mine, since my front ones were taller and his rear ones smaller, did that possibly make an angle change in my driveline which corrected my vibration? Just a thought since I’m running out of ideas. Going to try this test again soon.
Hi Steve,

It is bit puzzling, but the force difference between your bigger tires and his smaller tires will be minimal...What might bubble up is an out of round tire or rim.... Really need the frequency of the vibration as is will lead to the culprit. If you can determine which end of the vehicle is generating the imbalance, it might also help. As an NVH technical expert, you can now see how difficult these problems are and the time we invested in the field to resolve. You walk in blind and have to figure out what is going on...Dealer Tech and the customer think you will solve it in a minute or two...Simply not the case.

In your case...do some home work...drive at a steady speed...vibration? Okay...increase speed? Vibration at the same level? Your assometer might sense the change in frequency. In all cases, note the vehicle speed and engine RPM if you can.... a bit of work and may not help, but please consider giving it a whorl.

Responed to me with @P. A. Schilke so I get the flag to read the post...otherwise I might not see your answer as I cannot devote the time to this website due to the number of posts and my change in my family situation that limits my time on these forums.

So far the @P. A. Schilke has limited success..... I simply cannot do PMs...it flooded my mailbox...

best,
Phil
Sponsored

OP
OP
VegasRanger

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Hi Steve,

It is bit puzzling, but the force difference between your bigger tires and his smaller tires will be minimal...What might bubble up is an out of round tire or rim.... Really need the frequency of the vibration as is will lead to the culprit. If you can determine which end of the vehicle is generating the imbalance, it might also help. As an NVH technical expert, you can now see how difficult these problems are and the time we invested in the field to resolve. You walk in blind and have to figure out what is going on...Dealer Tech and the customer think you will solve it in a minute or two...Simply not the case.

In your case...do some home work...drive at a steady speed...vibration? Okay...increase speed? Vibration at the same level? Your assometer might sense the change in frequency. In all cases, note the vehicle speed and engine RPM if you can.... a bit of work and may not help, but please consider giving it a whorl.

Responed to me with @P. A. Schilke so I get the flag to read the post...otherwise I might not see your answer as I cannot devote the time to this website due to the number of posts and my change in my family situation that limits my time on these forums.

So far the @P. A. Schilke has limited success..... I simply cannot do PMs...it flooded my mailbox...

best,
Phil
No worries Sir! I appreciate any time you give. Below is my latest NVH report. You can see it’s saying my vibrations are 75+ with the worst being at 83. It’s spots on, that’s exactly when I start feeling it and see everything in my seats shaking.

Attachments

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No worries Sir! I appreciate any time you give. Below is my latest NVH report. You can see it’s saying my vibrations are 75+ with the worst being at 83. It’s spots on, that’s exactly when I start feeling it and see everything in my seats shaking.
Hi Steve,

Since it is flagging your driveshaft you might want to follow the hose clamp procedure to see if you can improve it.

Mark the driveshaft and put two hose clamps on the driveshaft with the screw at the mark, drive the vehicle and note the vibration... Then clock the pair of clamps around the shaft at about a 45° rotation. Evaluate each time you move the pair of clamps. determine the best location for the pair and mark in a different color. Now split the clamps one going clockwise and one counter clockwise. Again evaluate make the clocking about 10° each time. you should see a real improvement if driveshaft balance is your concern. You can leave the clamps in the best position for the life of the vehicle after done.... Time consuming process but I have used it several times with great results...

best,
Phil

OP
OP
VegasRanger

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Hi Steve,

Since it is flagging your driveshaft you might want to follow the hose clamp procedure to see if you can improve it.

Mark the driveshaft and put two hose clamps on the driveshaft with the screw at the mark, drive the vehicle and note the vibration... Then clock the pair of clamps around the shaft at about a 45° rotation. Evaluate each time you move the pair of clamps. determine the best location for the pair and mark in a different color. Now split the clamps one going clockwise and one counter clockwise. Again evaluate make the clocking about 10° each time. you should see a real improvement if driveshaft balance is your concern. You can leave the clamps in the best position for the life of the vehicle after done.... Time consuming process but I have used it several times with great results...

best,
Phil
Thanks Phil. Where am I marking? Where should I start? Should I do both drive shafts or just one?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil. Where am I marking? Where should I start? Should I do both drive shafts or just one?
Hi Steve,

Choose the rear shaft about the middle. Just mark the starting point do you can keep track of where you are. Where to start is not an issue...pick a spot and start the process. Make sense???

best,
Phil

OP
OP
VegasRanger

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
Hi Steve,

Choose the rear shaft about the middle. Just mark the starting point do you can keep track of where you are. Where to start is not an issue...pick a spot and start the process. Make sense???

best,
Phil
Yes Sir! Thank you

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Hey, kinda curious why you didnt just take it to ford and have it done under warranty?

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Most driveshaft vibrations are a result of improper angles, sure it can be out of balance even if it's a new shaft, for the cost I think anyone that is dealing with a vibration issue should get a digital angle meter, it will allow proper measurement of the working angles, through that it can be determined if it is the center support or the pinon that needs adjustment, for the $37.90 it is worth it.

The easiest way is to zero it on the front shaft, then measure the flange or yoke at the trans, that will tell you the front working angle, then measure the rear shaft, that will tell you the working angle through the center joint, zero on the rear shaft, then check the pinon flange, that will give you all 3 working angles

And yes, if you call driveshaft shops you may get different answers (I did) on what is considered proper working angles, most everybody agrees that you want them as equal as possible and no more than 1 degree split between angles.

Just my 2 cents, only worth a penny!!

Here is the gauge link;

https://www.amazon.com/Inclinometer...ds=digital+angle+meter&qid=1629213937&sr=8-12

Here are some confusing at times driveline articles, the top one is very comprehensive;

https://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Driveline-101.shtml?utm_source=pocket_mylist

https://spicerparts.com/anglemaster/measuring-angles?utm_source=pocket_mylist

https://4xshaft.com/blogs/general-tech-info-articles/driveshaft-angles?utm_source=pocket_mylist

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Hey, kinda curious why you didnt just take it to ford and have it done under warranty?
This is what I'm doing.
Dropping it off this Thursday to hopefully get a diagnosis of my problem.

OP
OP
VegasRanger

VegasRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STX Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Damper Salesman
I may do that, but my past dealership experience, they’ll take a look at my truck and just blame my lift or tires and won’t bother looking at it.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I may do that, but my past dealership experience, they’ll take a look at my truck and just blame my lift or tires and won’t bother looking at it.
I'm hoping to avoid that issue, but you never really know, do you.
Ford did my leveling kit, so we're going to start there, with Ford, and work our way through while the truck is still under warranty. I'm only at 26000 miles and shouldn't be having any vibration/shuddering. The truck is a pavement princess/daily driver for me, and has not been abused in any way that would cause such a thing to happen (or so I'd like to think).

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Call me anal but I’ve always removed the wheel weights and cleaned the rims before replacing tires or re-balancing. I also use a Sharpie and outline the new weights so I can tell if one or more is thrown off.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Haha thats funny u say that. Getting my fox installed soon so taking it into dealer before hand to try to get mine solved without any excuse that it is due to the lift.

First time i mentioned it they said no issue found. Taking to new dealer and referencing the tsb this time hopefully get better results.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
BTW... For those RV folks...I use Centramatic Balance rings.... Excellent devices...

Best,
Phil
Apologies to the OP for the thread jack but Phil - this is the first time I've heard of these but looking at how they work it seems like a fantastic solution. I have a Class C RV and tow a 20' enclosed and will be doing a 5000 mile trip soon so I just ordered a set for every wheel of my RV/Trailer. Thanks man.

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Did you remove all the weights first?
Yes I did, it feels like square tires on the first few miles but it smooths out quite fine. If you let your vehicle sit over 2 weeks then it take a few miles to get smooth again. It's pretty good stuff and works as advertised.
Sponsored