First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger FX2 XLT
Occupation
Retired
I have a 22 Ranger XLT FX 2 . The dealership did a TSB repair to correct this shutter on takeoff. It had no effect on the problem. Has anyone had this issue and did it get fixed ?
Sponsored

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
This topic is discussed on multiple threads here. As far as I know the TSB hasn’t fixed many with this issue. I have it on my 19’ FX4 Lariat….I’ve learned to live with it. Might eventually get the one piece drive shaft

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
There is the driveshaft issue and then the lugging issue. If they have already shimmed it, see if putting it in tow/haul or sport solves it. I generally only drive country roads and D is fine but if I'm in town, I use tow/haul and don't have that shudder or lugging issue. Then once back on the open road, I go back to D. I've also noticed that since I've started doing this, the issue itself has become less pronounced.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
As said, there are a few different things that this could be.

Lugging, aka your engine/ trans for some reason are at 1,000 RPMs with a full load. (This is bad transmission programming thanks to the EPA and CAFE standards). My Ranger loooovvvesss to do this in my hilly neighborhood.

Shuddering: could be rear pinion angle, which shims can help

Also shuddering: could be an out of balance driveshaft, two-piece DS issues, or driveshaft angle issue with the two piece connector. To fix a one piece aftermarket driveshaft from Woodys or Adams.

Last edited:

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
The only time I notice it is when backing up.

Canuckian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Crew Cab Lariat Blackout
I have this problem as well between 10 and 20kph. 1200 km on the truck. Dropping it off next week to get it looked at for TSB on the pinion angle.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 22 Ranger XLT FX 2 . The dealership did a TSB repair to correct this shutter on takeoff. It had no effect on the problem. Has anyone had this issue and did it get fixed ?
Hi Liam,

The TSB fix unfortunately does not fix 100% of the units on which it is performed. But there are a few folks that found the dealer tech did not perform the fix correctly. I recommend you try another dealer to verify the pinion angle is within the TSB spec. Correct as necessary if findings are it is out of spec. Depending on how handy you are, you can try to shim the center bearing about 1/8". It has helped a few folks... Unfortunately this is inheritant with two piece drivelines and some vehicles are worse than others for the original condition.

Good luck!

Used to fish Sebastion Inlet off A1A with my dad... You are just across the Indian River...

best,
Phil
Sponsored