Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Hi John,

Your experience is limited. I can speak to Mazda and they had their version of the Ranger in the Mazda version...they were always on deleting options etc to save cost. Can't speak for Sabaru, but we were aware of Toyota, GM, Chrysler, Honda of similar take away. That is one reason I bought a 2019 Ranger...no cost reductions.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
20201020_182512.jpg

Sammyboy808

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Porsche Macan S
Occupation
Wholesale Distribution
Hi John,

Your experience is limited. I can speak to Mazda and they had their version of the Ranger in the Mazda version...they were always on deleting options etc to save cost. Can't speak for Sabaru, but we were aware of Toyota, GM, Chrysler, Honda of similar take away. That is one reason I bought a 2019 Ranger...no cost reductions.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Subaru already has sub-par interiors for the most part. They don't try to be a luxury competitor regardless of trim, and I'm sure you along with many on this forum have noticed, Subaru doesn't really "try". They've openly admitted to being proud of the technologies in their cars, and keeping costs down elsewhere (such as minute details some of us like to point out) to mitigate for the cost of the tech. I could argue their tech is a little dated in trend, but their AWD system is still top of its game, and I was a big WRC Subaru fan growing up, but other than that, I love my Ranger, along with any and all its shortcomings.

daddy let me drive

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 jeep TJ wrangler, 2021 ford ranger FX4 sCrew
Occupation
retired
I didn't bump this older topic to the top of the list. Someone else did. I got up early, made a cup of coffee, and logged into ranger5g...and there at the top was a headline that interested me.

I didn't even have to "search" for it.

my 2021 XL FX4 doesn't have console shifter backlight. I noticed it the first time I cranked the truck in the dark. My instinct was to look down at the shifter, where my hand was actually doing something...not up at the center cluster.

I might have eventually brought this up myself in my own discussion topic. It's just an observation from someone who switches to an unfamiliar vehicle...not complaint.

ok, to put this to rest and solve the real world problem of this...how many of us are so inept that we .... and literally holding our hand like our mom used to do???
I like that ranger pride fella. He reminds me of me. Sooner or later we're going to agree on something. Even though he doesn't like me...I'm gonna give him another "like". ?

Sanford & Son Salvage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4WD, SCab
Had to check after reading this... 2020 Lariat built 10/20 and the PRNDS... does not light up.. nor does the circle dial with 2WD/4WD...

Guess I wont be able to Reverse/Nuetral/Drive/Sport mode at night now.. unless Siri can change my selector!

Is is possible to change SIris name to... Hal...

1619087682779.png

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I read in the owner's manual that the HVAC can be controlled by voice commands, I tried to command it to change the temp settings after pressing the voice button but it didn't obey, with hvac auto systems I much prefer the old style dials, have had auto ACC since 1986 and they still have their issues.
I've tried the voice commands too for the HVAC and same as you nothing. I just chalked it up to that it didn't like my voice. :giggle:
You've probably already resolved this by now, but just in case, the voice command for the truck won't work if you have a phone connected as the system will now default voice commands to Siri or Google.

Unplug your phone and voice command of HVAC works fine.

That said, I truly despise the tiny and near impossible to find HVAC buttons.

Ford should either dump the multiple media FF/RWD buttons or move them into the radio surround and use that space to put a couple of round knobs there to adjust temp and fan speed.

Please Ford! Change this!

2019-Ford-Ranger-Climate-Controls.jpg

Sanford & Son Salvage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4WD, SCab
I recall reading that the word Ranger on the rocker panel was illuminated with the illumination package? Does anyone have that and does it work? Mine does not.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
You've probably already resolved this by now, but just in case, the voice command for the truck won't work if you have a phone connected as the system will now default voice commands to Siri or Google.

Unplug your phone and voice command of HVAC works fine.

Ford should either dump the multiple media FF/RWD buttons or move them into the radio surround and use that space to put a couple of round knobs there to adjust temp and fan speed.

Please Ford! Change this!

2019-Ford-Ranger-Climate-Controls.jpg
Thanks Dennis I'll have to try it again. I rarely use CarPlay so I know that's not the issue.

I agree these controls are the worst I've ever had in any vehicle! Sometimes I'll turn on the parking lights just so it lights up the panel but usually I just use the touch screen controls.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Agreed. The HVAC controls are awful. Even after a year and a half, I still have to take my eyes off the road way too long to adjust the system. They are dark, small and seemingly well hidden.

If I were to redesign this, I'd move the airbag warning lights over to the passenger side panel, get rid of the audio control buttons that I've never used, move the HVAC controls up in their places and with larger buttons that can easily be identified by touch.

Also, one of the nicest features of my '98 Mountaineer's HVAC system were temperature and fan control buttons on the steering wheel. Perhaps add HVAC controls to the left phone & entertainment screen on the Lariat.

Last edited:

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Perhaps add HVAC controls to the left phone & entertainment screen on the Lariat.
There actually are some HVAC features on the rightmost cluster LCD that you can turn on using FORScan, but they don't function properly :'(

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
You can feel where the selector is right?

Three or four clicks down and you're where you want to be. Up two or three to back into a spot, up one to get out.

Pretty simple.

You can even feel by the release button if you're in in D or S. In S the button is slightly depressed.

As far as HVAC, just set to desired temp and let it do the work. The only button I ever hit is MAX Defrost, then back to auto.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
If I were to redesign this, I'd move the airbag warning lights over to the passenger side panel, get rid of the audio control buttons that I've never used, move the HVAC controls up in their places and with larger buttons that can easily be identified by touch.
I (and passengers) use the audio controls way more than the temperature controls. This is why it's hard to make a car that suits everybody.

Also, one of the nicest features of my '98 Mountaineer's HVAC system were temperature and fan control buttons on the steering wheel. Perhaps add HVAC controls to the left phone & entertainment screen on the Lariat.
This is definitely something that ford should have done, probably one of the things that skimped on when they were updating for the US market. That whole panel on the instrument panel is a missed opportunity/largely a waste of space.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
As far as HVAC, just set to desired temp and let it do the work. The only button I ever hit is MAX Defrost, then back to auto.
A lot of variance between individuals sense of temp changes and comfort as well as some variance in the ability of these systems to maintain a constant temp . I tend to be sensitive to temp changes and frequently adjust the temp controls and find it can be a distraction, albeit momentary from the road. My experience with these auto systems goes back to 1986 and the best of the lot was in a 1991 Taurus SHO - one of the few things that didn't have issues on that car. Had a few sub zero days in Denver and found myself having to raise the temp level several degrees to maintain a comfort level.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
A lot of variance between individuals sense of temp changes and comfort as well as some variance in the ability of these systems to maintain a constant temp . I tend to be sensitive to temp changes and frequently adjust the temp controls and find it can be a distraction, albeit momentary from the road. My experience with these auto systems goes back to 1986 and the best of the lot was in a 1991 Taurus SHO - one of the few things that didn't have issues on that car. Had a few sub zero days in Denver and found myself having to raise the temp level several degrees to maintain a comfort level.
I rather like the separate controls for heat and AC. I always turn it into a refrigerator on the passenger side just to play with the wife! ? Because I can!... I know the payback is always a B, but still fun!!!
Sponsored