Should my console gear selector illuminate at night? 2020 Lariat

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
This forum is great - fifty posts to discuss if the console gear selector lights up. This forum keeps me entertained everyday. Love it!

But, this thread has managed to include only a couple of damper posts. Come on, we can do better than that! I need my daily damper laugh.
Sponsored

TrebMaxx

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4 Ford Ranger
I think by how many of us had to check to see if their gear selections light up says "We don't need it". But I did have to check this morning when it was dark and mine does light up. I never noticed since I look at the dash to see what gear the rig is in.

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I honestly have no idea if mine light up or not. I'm so use to just pulling it back 3 clicks (4 for fun mode) it's second nature.
So I checked this morning on our way out and yes it lights up. I doubt I'll ever notice it again since I haven't in the past 15 months. ?

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I found this easy conversion kit to adapt your damper for glow in the dark: https://amzn.to/351lXX4
I'm waiting for AZScorpian to start a damper mods thread. If he doesn't do that soon, I think I might.
I mean we already have the velcro wrap for the cable and now glow in the dark damper, we can discuss what cleaning products work best for the damper. May a tune to make it drop faster (or slower if you prefer), dual dampers... I'm sure there are plenty of other creative damper mods just waiting to be documented. :like:

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I'm waiting for AZScorpian to start a damper mods thread. If he doesn't do that soon, I think I might.
I mean we already have the velcro wrap for the cable and now glow in the dark damper, we can discuss what cleaning products work best for the damper. May a tune to make it drop faster (or slower if you prefer), dual dampers... I'm sure there are plenty of other creative damper mods just waiting to be documented. :like:
We probably need to give them a name. "Okay, Fred, let her down now." :turkey:

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I was beginning to think that my truck was the only one with the gear selection clearly visible in the center bottom of the instrument panel, but I see others have mentioned it. Don't even have to look at the gear shifter. ?

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Alright! Now we are cooking with gas. I have my damper fix for the night! :like:

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
We probably need to give them a name. "Okay, Fred, let her down now." :turkey:
That's the spirit Tracy! Voice activated tailgate damper! Not just waving your foot under the bumper trying to get the tailgate to lower while balancing on the other foot with your arms full of the latest haul from the home improvement store. Just say 'Okay Fred, let her down', the tailgate opens slow and controlled and you empty your armload of goods into the bed! Genius! :turkey:

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
And back on topic, I had to go out and check, it lights. I really never looked before, I just shift by feel.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
My 2020 lights up as well. What I would really like, though, is some outlining around the HVAC controls. I simply can't see them, especially if I'm wearing sunglasses.
I read in the owner's manual that the HVAC can be controlled by voice commands, I tried to command it to change the temp settings after pressing the voice button but it didn't obey, with hvac auto systems I much prefer the old style dials, have had auto ACC since 1986 and they still have their issues.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I read in the owner's manual that the HVAC can be controlled by voice commands, I tried to command it to change the temp settings after pressing the voice button but it didn't obey, with hvac auto systems I much prefer the old style dials, have had auto ACC since 1986 and they still have their issues.
I've tried the voice commands too for the HVAC and same as you nothing. I just chalked it up to that it didn't like my voice. :giggle:

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
I've tried the voice commands too for the HVAC and same as you nothing. I just chalked it up to that it didn't like my voice. :giggle:
Been a while since I've done it but I've used the voice commands to adjust the temp and change the radio without issue. Doesn't work to change gears or open the tailgate though.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
...and for @AzScorpion ...no tailgate Damper, I mean come on, $50K CAD and no *&^ng damper? WTF. :LOL:
To get the Tailgate Damper, you have to get the "Gearshift Indicator Light: delete" option, only available with Pepper Ped, which is discontinued.
squinty grin.jpeg
Sponsored