First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda civic hatchback CVT 2017 ram cummins
Occupation
Farmer
Got a defect with my passenger side front door.
Ford has sent a complete door for replacement. All great, I'm thinking. But then I find out it's not painted and that the dealer will have to paint the door plus paint some of the back door and front fender so they can blend in the new paint as it may not match up just perfect.
Pretty nervous that the job may not be done just right and may leave my clean new interior dirty. May have over spary on the truck somewhere and concerned of paint issues that may surface down the road, such as peeling or fading paint and such.
The door in one Spot that is not lining up really does bother me on an over $40,000 new truck. But I'm also afraid of the possible outcome to fix it.

DSC_1405.JPG

IMG_20210511_163902.jpg
Sponsored

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what you're worried about. Who do you think does these types of repairs on relatively new accident damaged vehicles, if not the dealer? The majority turn out just fine. Auto dealers also do pre-delivery prep work which may include cosmetic repairs.

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
What are your options? None, really unless you want to paint it yourself. Either the dealer will do it (if they do body work) or they'll farm it out to a local body shop. Either case, they have experience in doing this. They'll probably return it with a clean interior, or even if not, it can be cleaned. Quit worrying.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I certainly would not like a non factory paint job. But, stuff happens. Worrying about it before it happens wont help. If after it happens you aren't happy, then complain to them and hopefully get it resolved.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That's a tough call. On one hand it could be worse than it is now but you need to ask yourself "can I live with the way it is now"? Is there a way you can see some of their repair/paint work? That would ease my mind knowing they are a qualified body shop because some dealers cant even apply the Ford Pass points let alone blend in a complete side.

If it were me and they do good quality work I'd get it done. I'm way to OCD to live with it the way it is. I guess just prepare yourself for a battle with the dealer if it turns out bad and demand that they make it right. It's a tough decision but in the end is it really worth the aggravation, only you can decide that one. Good luck!

Mackman

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Got a defect with my passenger side front door.
Ford has sent a complete door for replacement. All great, I'm thinking. But then I find out it's not painted and that the dealer will have to paint the door plus paint some of the back door and front fender so they can blend in the new paint as it may not match up just perfect.
Pretty nervous that the job may not be done just right and may leave my clean new interior dirty. May have over spary on the truck somewhere and concerned of paint issues that may surface down the road, such as peeling or fading paint and such.
The door in one Spot that is not lining up really does bother me on an over $40,000 new truck. But I'm also afraid of the possible outcome to fix it.

DSC_1405.JPG

IMG_20210511_163902.jpg
how long have to had the truck

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat,MB GLK250,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I would leave it alone.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
we have debated spot/area repainting in other threads. jmo. but its a personal call. i have ocd and eye for paint from my time in a body shop..some of us see wht others dont. id just tell them nicely that you are 'that' guy and please put their best guy on the job because you dont want to be in a position to refuse a sloppy job. That and a well placed $20 to the guy doing it will make a difference..
again jmo.

SICKQK

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.saddlebrookcontrols.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab FX4
Occupation
Automation Applications Engineer
A good paintless dent person can work miracles. I had 18 acorn dings taken out of the hood of my last F-150 and couldn't tell where any of them were afterwards.
Also ran over a heavy branch that levered up and dented the wheel arch on the rear 1/4 panel on another F-150 I owned. That came out nearly perfect.
I would have a qualified paintless guy look at that, they might be able to massage it to something that will be acceptable to you.
I also agree that keeping the factory paint would be best if possible.
Let the dealer pick up the tab.....it'll be much less than the other solution.

VegasP11

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I feel your pain. My wife was at work at Barnes and Noble years ago and some woman came in nearly in tears and asked if anyone drove the Infiniti G20 in the parking lot because she hit the drivers front fender and put a nice dent in it. My wife said it was hers (actually mine) and the woman gave my wife her insurance info. My wife said she was scared to tell me that someone hit my baby but I was actually shocked that someone had the decency to come in and admit they hit my car.
The dealer replaced the fender and the headlight and repainted the entire front end to make sure the colors matched. When I picked it up there were runs all over the hood and I made them repaint the car again. When I did end up getting the car back it looked brand new.
Stick to your guns and make sure the work is done right and don't be shy about making them fix anything you don't deem as acceptable.

OP
OP

cbull

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 honda civic hatchback CVT 2017 ram cummins
Occupation
Farmer
Thanks for everyones opinions.
I'm sure most wouldn't worry about the way it is now, not a huge deal, I could live with it. But it's not right and I can't help but want it right. After all it is a very expensive truck and it's brand new, has right at 1000 miles on it.
I'm leaning towards having them do the repair has of now, but like mentioned, I will inform them if it's not done right I'll be one that notices and be very pushy at getting it right. Seen lots of shady body and paint work done, even from higher end places.
It is 100% my bad for not catching this before I bought it. Even so I probably would have bought it anyways, not many options these days and this, wannabe little truck is pretty neat, at this point I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
That's a tough call. On one hand it could be worse than it is now but you need to ask yourself "can I live with the way it is now"? Is there a way you can see some of their repair/paint work? That would ease my mind knowing they are a qualified body shop because some dealers cant even apply the Ford Pass points let alone blend in a complete side.

If it were me and they do good quality work I'd get it done. I'm way to OCD to live with it the way it is. I guess just prepare yourself for a battle with the dealer if it turns out bad and demand that they make it right. It's a tough decision but in the end is it really worth the aggravation, only you can decide that one. Good luck!
This I must agree with. It really boils down to which one bothers you the most. Tough decision I know. Good luck.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
It has been my experience that most body shops tend to not do an adequate job or skip steps entirely when repainting. Namely proper surface prep, wet sanding prior to applying clear coat or glazing polish afterwards. The result is a dull finish or excessive orange peel in the paint. Looking at the paint on the door and fender your truck's paint has minimal orange peel so they will need to really work to match that. If this is of any concern, I would ask the dealer if they do the paint work there or send the jobs to an outside vendor. Then go to that location and ask to view some of the completed paint jobs to see the quality of work. If they send the work out and is not up to your standards see if the dealership will pay to have it completed at a body shop of your choosing that will do the work correctly. If they do the work in-house then you may not have a choice.

Even after the paint work is complete it may still not be as smooth as the factory paint and have more orange peel to the finish. You can mitigate this to some degree by using a glazing polish or wet sanding if you are up to the challenge.
Sponsored