Scary towing experience

ExplorerRich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f-150
I bought a Wolf Pup 16HE Saturday. It weights 3500ish empty with 420 TW according to FOREST River.
The dealer installed a E2 WDH, with 8000 lb bars for some reason, and lowered the L brackets down all the way.
Left there and went straight to the campground. Every time a truck passed us, it saved like we were getting sucked into his lane, and the rear of the truck seemed to randomly dart around. It didn't bounce around, which was good.
I have a 2021 FX2, and I didn't pump the tires up any, I did when we left coming home. It helped some but not alot.
I am thinking that I need to look at the WDH adjustment to see if it's way off.
Or is this just how towing a single axle trailer with the Ranger will always be?
If so, I may be camping in my yard alot.
I have hulled many trailers with a lot of different configurations. I don't like addon sway devices, I have seen trailers flip with them. I do recommend a WDH with sway control built into it. Here's a helpful link to some good info about hitch and sway. I hope you find it useful. How Equal-i-zer Works - Equal-i-zer® Hitch (equalizerhitch.com)
Sponsored

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a Wolf Pup 16HE Saturday. It weights 3500ish empty with 420 TW according to FOREST River.
The dealer installed a E2 WDH, with 8000 lb bars for some reason, and lowered the L brackets down all the way.
Left there and went straight to the campground. Every time a truck passed us, it saved like we were getting sucked into his lane, and the rear of the truck seemed to randomly dart around. It didn't bounce around, which was good.
I have a 2021 FX2, and I didn't pump the tires up any, I did when we left coming home. It helped some but not alot.
Or is this just how towing a single axle trailer with the Ranger will always be?
Suspension is a little soft (I like it that way) Not sure what load range tires came stock on your truck. Probly not E's. / 10PR, so maybe pump rear tires up to max inflation pressure. With the trailer you may find the wandering calms a bit.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
did i ask about safety?
I asked about fuel mileage.
Sorry RP...re-read your post, but even considering mpg, I can't think of any regular sized travel trailer (not the little R Pods) that would come in under 55 sq feet in area. The smaller rigs that are 7 feet wide are still 8 feet or more in height. Mine is gonna come in at 80 sq feet.
But, as I used to tell members on the RV web sites I was on, if you have a camper/travel trailer/motor home, and have to worry about fuel mileage, best to just buy a Prius and stay at a Motel 6.

OP
OP

drvred

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX2
Occupation
Trucker
Sorry RP...re-read your post, but even considering mpg, I can't think of any regular sized travel trailer (not the little R Pods) that would come in under 55 sq feet in area. The smaller rigs that are 7 feet wide are still 8 feet or more in height. Mine is gonna come in at 80 sq feet.
But, as I used to tell members on the RV web sites I was on, if you have a camper/travel trailer/motor home, and have to worry about fuel mileage, best to just buy a Prius and stay at a Motel 6.
If you just measure the box itself, my camper is 7 ft wide, and a shade over 7 ft tall. So 49 square feet, and some of that hidden behind the truck

Reactions: EJH

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If you just measure the box itself, my camper is 7 ft wide, and a shade over 7 ft tall. So 49 square feet, and some of that hidden behind the truck
The more I think about the measurements, I think we're both right in a way.
I believe the measurements from my unit, as far as height, are taken from the ground....still 8 feet wide, but probably a "box" height of 8 to 8 1/2 feet. So yeah, mine is more toward 65-70 feet. Add in turbulence and a dozen other factors...roof ac unit, vents, ect.
We're still dragging a big box behind us and we're still gonna get lousy mileage.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
The more I think about the measurements, I think we're both right in a way.
I believe the measurements from my unit, as far as height, are taken from the ground....still 8 feet wide, but probably a "box" height of 8 to 8 1/2 feet. So yeah, mine is more toward 65-70 feet. Add in turbulence and a dozen other factors...roof ac unit, vents, ect.
We're still dragging a big box behind us and we're still gonna get lousy mileage.
The only real place the frontal area affects is fuel mileage. The side area is what really affects handleing. Thats where winds and traffic affect you the most. As a side note, frontal area is the total area expose to a direct head wind. So, it just take the high of your trailer from the ground including ac and multiply by the width. Not even a Rpod falls under the 55 sqr ft number. Travel trailets are big bricks being pulled through the air. 60 to 65 seems to be the sweet spot between mileage and not getting run over or causing road rage on the freeway. Over that and you milage goes south exponentually. Weight doesn’t seem to make a big difference as long as you within the ratings.

DISCLAIMER ON PREVIOUS POST:
I never intended to say a WDH is required for the Ranger to pull it's full rated weight. The intent of my post was that when towing a TT it will make for a much more enjoyable and less stressful experience. Yes, the weight of the hitch does add to the tongue weight the truck sees and is addition to the 10-15 percent of trailer weight. But, it does allow distributing that weight on the truck for better handling, something air bags do not.

The OPs bad experience is obviously due to an improperly sized and setup hitch and possibly an improperly balanced trailer.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford describes it differently and identifies it as the vehicle and trailer.

1640654108066.png
What is so different about this than what I said? It also says the the chart shows the maximum TRAILER FRONTAL AREA,which is what the calculation I gave is.

Ford also states that a WD hitch is not required.
I am sure it can assist you in certain circumstances, but they say you can tow the max amount without needing one.

1640654398181.png
I never said a WDH was REQUIRED to tow the maximums. Only that in my opinion it will give you a better towing experience. You are always able to do what ever you want.

SkyLord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
For a normal, but slightly smaller TT the Apex Nano series campers are about as small of a frontal area as you can get and they are pretty light. I have a 208BH (3890 dry, TW is about 500 dry). It’s 24’11’’ hitch to tail. I measured the frontal area and it’s still 60 sq Ft. It’s got a good aerodynamic front that seems to help with fuel economy. After looking around for a year it was the best I could do on frontal area. It’s my first camper, had it about 3 years. Is there anyone with a TT that is inside of the 55 sq ft Ford recommendation? I couldn’t find one when I was in the market.

Raygunn

First Name
Reagon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Building Automation
I'm no trucker, but I'll give my two cents. I use my '20 FX4 S-Crew to tow a 1-axle TT that's 20ft long, 3500 dry, and 450 tongue weight. I use the basic EAZ-lift WDH (800/8000lb) and friction sway bar that came used with the trailer. I too experience the pull-in/push-away sensation when big trucks pass on the freeways at speed (about 65mph for me). I think this is mainly due to the fact that my full rig, completely loaded, still weighs less than 10,000lbs. yet catches a lot of wind. I believe the WDH helps alleviate the "lightening" of the front wheels so as to maintain steering control, and the sway bar, of course helps keep the tail from wagging the dog when those big vehicles pass. I find it helps if I know they're coming and just keep my distance within the lane... definitely think the sway bar helps though.

OP
OP

drvred

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX2
Occupation
Trucker
I just got off the phone with the hitch manufacturer, according to him, the 8000 lb bars are fine.
He did say it an adjustment issue with the L brackets being too low, but I tried raising them up 1 hole(as opposed to the 2 that he told me) but I couldn't get the bars over the bracket, so I need to remove a spacer washer or 2.
He also mentioned ball height may be too high,but my head is all the way down, and it's 1-1.5 " higher than the top of the trailer coupler.
I didn't think was such an 8ssue with single axle trailers.

So now I don't know whether to send the 6000 lb bars back or not

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just got off the phone with the hitch manufacturer, according to him, the 8000 lb bars are fine.
He did say it an adjustment issue with the L brackets being too low, but I tried raising them up 1 hole(as opposed to the 2 that he told me) but I couldn't get the bars over the bracket, so I need to remove a spacer washer or 2.
He also mentioned ball height may be too high,but my head is all the way down, and it's 1-1.5 " higher than the top of the trailer coupler.

This is begining to make more sense. The dealer did not do you any favors with this hitch setup. One of the worst things you can do is tow with the trailer high in the front. You need a hitch bars with more drop. Not uncommon with Rangers high rear end. The trailer should be level or slightly nose low when towing. Yes you may need to remove washers to adjust the bar angles, but first you need to get the hitch hight correct. I still think you will be better off with the 6000 pound bars also, for your weights. Get the hitch manual and go through the setup procedure set by step. You should be able to get the bars on the step brackets easily by using the tongue jack to lift the back of the truck with the trailer coupled.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
As Big Blue posted, your hitch sounds like it needs to come down. The hitch shank you got with your set up probably has 6 holes like the one pictured. Sounds like you need a longer one to drop the ball, maybe a 9 or 10 hole as pictured.
And like Blue, I still think the 8000 bars are too stiff.

download.png

6e9d0361-a7cc-4310-8f23-5d7f9ec7bd42_1.c5f18b41bb563db7ca5dc4ff728d165f.jpeg

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer

I would stick to 6000 lbs bars. I have the same hitch, and use the second lowest drop setting on my stock height Ranger. Although my trailer might be higher clearance than the Wolf Pup? You want the trailer as close to level as possible when hitched up.

If you can't get the bars over the L bracket, try to use the tongue jack to raise the trailer (when connected to the ball), then slide the bars on. You may need to use the helper tool. The YouTube video from Fastway on the E2 goes over this, and full setup.

Edit, does not look like the video link is working. Search YouTube for this video "How To Install Your Fastway e2 Round Bar Sway Control / Weight Distribution Hitch*"

More pictures of you rig hitched up might be helpful.

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
Use the tongue jack to lift the rear of the truck up some, that will help get the bars on.

The bars should be hard to get into place, you’re putting tension on them.
If they go on easy they aren’t doing anything for you.

Montana Ranger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Every time a truck passed us, it saved like we were getting sucked into his lane, and the rear of the truck seemed to randomly dart around. It didn't bounce around, which was good.
That's just the nature of the beast with a travel trailer getting pushed by the air pressure from a big rig passing you. It's probably a bit worse with a single axle vs double axle trailer. It startled me too the first few times it happened. I am now in the habit of checking the rear-view mirror every so many seconds or so to prevent being surprised.

We have a '19 Lariat 4x4 towing a 24' Jayco around 6,500 loaded. Have the E2 with 8,000 bars. It's set up so everything is level. The only thing that scares me is getting passed by big vehicles while on curves going downhill.

2020-07-12 13-56-17_1.jpg
Sponsored