First towing experience with my 2021 Tremor

OHTREMOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Not new to towing as I pulled a 30 ft camper for several years with full size trucks and smaller trailers with my most recent GMC Canyon Denali moving my kids in and out of college dorms.

Just wanted to share an experience towing with my Tremor Today. Pulled a 4x8 enclosed trailer today for just under 200 miles. Figure with passengers, trailer, and all the stuff in the truck and trailer I was pulling about 2500 lbs. Not a heavy load but was still impressed.

Truck pulls like a little diesel and I averaged 17.3 mpg traveling between 70 and 75 mph. My normal highway mpg is 20-21 So very little drop off In mpg.
Very stabile and the fox shocks made for a smooth ride even with a single axle trailer behind me.

Pulled the same route, trailer and similar load with my 2018 canyon late last year and I have to say the Ranger pulled way better, bounced way less, and was a much more enjoyable experience.

The more I drive this truck the more I like it. Its the right size and can do some real work if needed. Not the same as my old full size diesel truck but still pretty capable.
Sponsored

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
That is good to hear. Max i have pulled has been 7k lbs. A backhoe. My biggest complaint is mirrors and brakes. Once you hit about 2000 lbs of weight, the brakes are very tiny.

And the trailer you pulled tows easy with our rangers, single or dual axle.
Lots of power from a 4cyl engine.

Keep on truckin, and keep the rubber side down!

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
That is good to hear. Max i have pulled has been 7k lbs. A backhoe. My biggest complaint is mirrors and brakes. Once you hit about 2000 lbs of weight, the brakes are very tiny.
I agree with you on the mirrors. I just put the Clearview extendable tow mirrors on mine to fix that issue.

As far as the brakes the Ranger is only rated to pull 1650 pounds without trailer brakes. That's right in the manual.

BassRanger

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab STX, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Goodyear
Seriously hope you didn't have 7000lbs hitched behind your truck without working trailer brakes.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
The brakes are lacking in my experience for towing anything in the 2k lb range and up. I suspect that is why Ford requires trailer brakes over 1650 lbs. The Colorado ZR2 I had came with much better brakes and did not sweat with 2500lbs behind it without trailer brakes. It did have larger 4 piston fron brake calipers though which are preferred over a standard 2 piston sliding brake caliper.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Seriously hope you didn't have 7000lbs hitched behind your truck without working trailer brakes.
I had trailer brakes. But i have had no brakes with trailers about 3 to 4 thousand pounds. And a little more braking time is required. Just the nature of most trailers my family has here, only have trailer brakes for car trailers. The utility trailers have none and the enclosed trailers are single axle, and with brakes on the dual axle. I wont go 4k without brakes. Law in texas is 4500 need brakes
Or 4500 to 12000 no brakes needed if driving below 30mph. Lol
Sponsored