First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
Registered nurse Workers Comp Case Manager
You would actually be suprized on how well the Ranger does with transmission temps when towing. Yeah it wouldn't hurt to do something like replace the transmission pan for a fined one. Other than that it does very well at controlling temperature.
Yes, I did that about a month ago. I replaced the factory plastic pan with a PPE aluminum finned pan as well as replaced the transmission filter. I was surprised at how dirty it looked with only 2k moles on it. The pan has a plug in the side for a temp sensor so I added a trans temp gauge from Maxtow gauges. It’s nice to know the actual temp in real time. You are right about the temps it rarely reaches 170 degrees.

8DB51658-DEC5-4AF9-97FB-900661AB8F7F.jpeg

F863BF9F-7179-44FB-B418-A7015457F4D6.jpeg

746CF3C9-B6B0-46E8-B705-7EE3231A5E31.jpeg
Sponsored

joseywales

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Research scientist
Vehicle Showcase
I never towed with stock shocks - I have a full Eibach suspension but i moved a buddy of mine with a fully loaded enclosed Uhaul trailer, it drove great, felt fully in control of the trailer etc. I would buy a good set of rear shocks. The FX4 stock shocks are flimsy haha and changing out the back shocks are fairly cheap. A good pair of rear shocks run about $200-$250. Totally worth it if you plan on towing a lot! Easy swap and go!

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I have already installed the "Factory" accessory trailer brake controller and plan on towing a small RV camper next summer (under 6000 lbs.). But, before I tow anything I am going to upgrade the rear shocks, and add a set of Timbren SES rear bump stop spring helpers. Then finally the Hellwig rear sway bar kit just for some added stability. I have already upgraded the factory tiny box transmission cooler to a remote located Derale cooler with an inline thermostat and cooling fan.
You do realize the the "factory box" cooler is intended to help the transmission "heat" up. It uses engine coolant to do this.. The 10R80 is intended to run at 200-210 degrees. This is not your dad's automatic transmission.

joseywales

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
Research scientist
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I did that about a month ago. I replaced the factory plastic pan with a PPE aluminum finned pan as well as replaced the transmission filter. I was surprised at how dirty it looked with only 2k moles on it. The pan has a plug in the side for a temp sensor so I added a trans temp gauge from Maxtow gauges. It’s nice to know the actual temp in real time. You are right about the temps it rarely reaches 170 degrees.

8DB51658-DEC5-4AF9-97FB-900661AB8F7F.jpeg

F863BF9F-7179-44FB-B418-A7015457F4D6.jpeg

746CF3C9-B6B0-46E8-B705-7EE3231A5E31.jpeg
This is an awesome setup! Did you install and wire the gauges yourself? do you have any photos or possibly a resource you got the information on how to install it by chance? How muhc was the gauge cluster if you dont mind me asking? I want to something very similar. Looks great! i want to install a boost gauge as well as trans temp as well.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I just pulled this, loaded about 200 miles with no problem. I shouldn’t have, but at times I hit 80mph. I also have lots of gear under those battery assist trikes with 4 bundles of fire wood. This is a 2019 Ranger. Go figure.

1C60305E-0923-43F4-A9D8-DF5A9421AF96.jpeg
Pretty much ditto! About 9000miles so far twice to Sebring plus MI, WI,MN etc.

benton.jpg

Shaneb72

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is an awesome setup! Did you install and wire the gauges yourself? do you have any photos or possibly a resource you got the information on how to install it by chance? How muhc was the gauge cluster if you dont mind me asking? I want to something very similar. Looks great! i want to install a boost gauge as well as trans temp as well.
I fabricated the base and trimmed down the gauge pod side. They the gauge pod and gauges are from Maxtow made by Glowshift gauges. I have the trans temp, the oil temp, and coolant temp. The Maxtow series is mainly for Diesels so they didn't have a specific set. I had to purchase them individually. I think all three with the pod is under $300 with tax. I removed the tray that sits on the dash and fabricated a 3/4 thick plywood base and covered it with black felt. The Maxtow/ Glowshift company has some videos on Youtube. I should have taken more pictures but I had limited time off from work and threw it together one day. I tried to find something similar to what the Tremor Auxillary switch panel looked like but couldn't fin anything.

Shaneb72

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You do realize the the "factory box" cooler is intended to help the transmission "heat" up. It uses engine coolant to do this.. The 10R80 is intended to run at 200-210 degrees. This is not your dad's automatic transmission.
Yes I realize the optimal operating temp. I have an inline trans fluid thermostat that limits the flow until it reaches a specified temp. Do to my OCD, I wanted something that was a little overkill just in case I am towing through Houston TX and its 113 degrees with 85% humidty and bumper to bumper traffic. I also appreciated the 210 degree fluid temp when you have to add or check the fluid while its running when the dipstick is literally 3 to 4 inches from the Catalytic converter. I do appreciate the comment though. I am not an expert and take any opportunity to get a different viewpoint or learn something.

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Just picked up my 2022 Intech Flyer Pursue. 1600lbs dry weight, tongue weigh about 200lbs

IMG_2291.jpeg

I drove from VT to KY to IL. the owing experience is horrible (stock equipment: only light bedding added). I'm towing with 2020 Ranger FX4 with tow package (7500lbs capacity) and every time I go over bumps or even slight undulations on highway it's bouncing so much that it feels like the car is misfiring (feels like a back and forth push-pull).

I've towed a Bantam T3-C (no shocks) for a year and that bounces all over the place, but I've never felt it in the truck (half the weight though). Hitch height is perfectly set, and I have a 2-inch WeighSafe ball hitch for the trailers 2-inch receiver.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Mark
Replace shocks in rear, maybe front also since the weight is shift/bouncing fore to aft. Start w/ rears. I have BDS lift Kit and BDS Rear shocks, less float / wallow. Folks like Fox and Bilstein for zero lift replacements. Rancho also makes upgrade shock RS55024.

Trunkafunk

First Name
Gray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Ford Ranger XLT
I towed an Rpod travel trailer (~3600 lbs) as well as a fairly full bed (genny, propane, inflatable canoe) this summer on my FX4 and experienced very few issues other than some slight sway that may be from wiggle room in the hitch.
I don't have anything to compare it to as it's my first setup, but after I raised the ball hitch to a more appropriate height, the bounciness lessened. I feel like it's somewhat to be expected though.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I was looking for a place to post this, so sorry if I post a positive towing experience here. I brought my UTV up to the mountain today. There is a 3/4 mile stretch in a 2 lain road, uphill of course and there as a tractor tailor. I got a clear shot and punched it. It was like butter. Love me some Ranger, more and more every day.

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
So went Camoibg again this morning. Fridge in slide out kitchen was full. Weighsafe read about 280. Weighted truck with and without trailer on car scales. Difference was 340lbs, so weighsafe is over 20% off. Towing still terrible. Ordered anti rattle hitch lock

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
As of now, just what do you mean by towing is still terrible. I know a lot of advice has been thrown your way, but what have you tried to tame the towing ?
I still maintain that your trailer could be easily towed by our previous 2013 Subaru Crosstrek, so I don't think the problem is with the truck and it's capability.
What is Intech's recommendation for tire pressure ? Maybe lowering the psi will get rid of the "bounce".
And, as silly as it sounds, check the trailers frame and axle for proper orientation...that all measurements on one side match the other side. Frame might not be "square" or wheel base of the trailer axle (from coupler to axle center on each side) might be off a bit.
Also, that trailer appears to have been designed/built for some serious off road traveling, so I would take it that the suspension is very stiff.
Also, have you contacted Intech....maybe they have some recommendations .

Last edited:
OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
As of now, just what do you mean by towing is still terrible. I know a lot of advice has been thrown your way, but what have you tried to tame the towing ?
I still maintain that your trailer could be easily towed by our previous 2013 Subaru Crosstrek, so I don't think the problem is with the truck and it's capability.
What is Intech's recommendation for tire pressure ? Maybe lowering the psi will get rid of the "bounce".
And, as silly as it sounds, check the trailers frame and axle for proper orientation...that all measurements on one side match the other side. Frame might not be "square" or wheel base of the trailer axle (from coupler to axle center on each side) might be off a bit.
Also, that trailer appears to have been designed/built for some serious off road traveling, so I would take it that the suspension is very stiff.
Also, have you contacted Intech....maybe they have some recommendations .
No change from original post

jpisdamaged

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
As many have mentioned already. I have the same problem pulling my 6x12 converted cargo trailer. The problem is the $2 shocks Ford installed from the factory. Any aftermarket shock will make things much better. When I was a teenager my brother and I took our LTD station wagon for a ride without shocks. It was a very similar experience as the Ranger with its $2 shocks.
Sponsored