Poor towing experience

Return Ranger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 Rapid Red
That appears to be a problem exclusive to 4WD Rangers??
The 2WD set up is perfect for towing IMO. This is the first truck I have ever owned which left completely stock out of the box.
Fact is Good shocks were always my first mod until now.
In fairness, I think it would have towed fine with stock shocks. I changed out the FX4 shocks due to the bounciness of everyday driving. The load on the rear would have only helped that I'm sure.
Sponsored

OP
OP

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
Made a video on how to get tongue weight using CAT scales (includes pricing). I think everyone should go to a CAT scale, even if they’re not towing. Surprising how many rigs are overloaded.

Flymac1

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT SPORT
Occupation
Retired
i would LOVE to find one of those scamps used at a decent price LOL
Might be selling this one lol. Have a line on a 17’ casita. Gross weight is 3500. Trying to find out who had towed that much.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Might be selling this one lol. Have a line on a 17’ casita. Gross weight is 3500. Trying to find out who had towed that much.
I have been active in Fiberglass RVs for a couple of decades.
The Casita 17 is a little heavier than most of the small Fiberglass trailers, but It rides on a single 3500 pound axle and balances pretty well with about 350 pounds of tongue weight.
They usually leave the driveway at around 3000 pounds loaded plus or minus.
it is a great trailer and shares an aero design which is CRAZY better to tow than an equivalent sized stick built trailer, It would be a GREAT match for the Ranger and is commonly towed by less.

My Scamp is of a similar aero shape ( as an example) and fully loaded it tows like an order of magnitude better than an empty box utility trailer of even a smaller size.

You will pay quite a bit more for a used fiberglass trailer, but they last forever and hold their value better than just about anything else you can buy.

If weight is a concern check out a Scamp 16 ( deluxe or standard) it is a bit smaller without sacrificing roominess or comfort.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
As many have mentioned already. I have the same problem pulling my 6x12 converted cargo trailer. The problem is the $2 shocks Ford installed from the factory. Any aftermarket shock will make things much better. When I was a teenager my brother and I took our LTD station wagon for a ride without shocks. It was a very similar experience as the Ranger with its $2 shocks.
4X4 CrewCab right?
Sponsored