First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
Here is the two replacement connectors. The male is on top, still assembled. The new female down below depinned.
20200124_122010.jpg

Here is the broken female connector
20200124_123004.jpg

Halfway through transfering pins.
20200124_124152.jpg

The first truck complete and reassembled.
20200124_125211.jpg

This is the male connector about to be installed on my truck. Not all cavities in the connector are used in this one so a few wires are trimmed and heat shrink over the ends.
20200124_133018.jpg
Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of this one while it was apart. The male pins are way harder to remove and install in the hard shells. After repinning a total of 64 tiny pins in somewhat fragile hardshells i was a bit frustrated.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
Sorry for the two extra pictures at the end. I couldn't figure out how to fix it.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Here is the two replacement connectors. The male is on top, still assembled. The new female down below depinned.
20200124_122010.jpg

Here is the broken female connector
20200124_123004.jpg

Halfway through transfering pins.
20200124_124152.jpg

The first truck complete and reassembled.
20200124_125211.jpg

This is the male connector about to be installed on my truck. Not all cavities in the connector are used in this one so a few wires are trimmed and heat shrink over the ends.
20200124_133018.jpg
Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of this one while it was apart. The male pins are way harder to remove and install in the hard shells. After repinning a total of 64 tiny pins in somewhat fragile hardshells i was a bit frustrated.
Nice work. It looks like you really take the time to complete the repair nicely so it looks and functions like it came from the factory. A guy like me (long time 12 volt installer) really appreciates this level of detail when it comes to wiring!

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
Matt... thanks very helpful. In my case they sent 10 of the “correct” part number, but wrong gender inside. They are not quite sure why Ford sent 10 when they ordered one... I did forward your comment to the Service manager....
Back in Oct when i had to deal with this they noted on the service ticket about incorrect part #'s and that it was supposed to be fixed:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/tail-lights-not-working.3555/page-3#post-68958

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
Nice work. It looks like you really take the time to complete the repair nicely so it looks and functions like it came from the factory. A guy like me (long time 12 volt installer) really appreciates this level of detail when it comes to wiring!
Thank you! I try to make every job look just as good or better than factory. Even when we get 20 year old vehicle in, I try to make it look like no one has ever touched it.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
There's a lot of that gender confusion going around these days.
LOL...I think they'd have a melt down with this recall..."what you mean there a problem with male/female connector?!:LOL::LOL::LOL:"

SRAces

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2015 Mercedes-Benz GLA, 2004 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Special Edition
Occupation
USAF (retired)
Vehicle Showcase
Had my Ranger into the dealership to inspect. They said I was good.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My dealer has no parts but fortunately my Lariat passed. The service advisor mentioned they expect less than 1-2% of the vehicles to fail.

Mscaff12

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger lariat
My dealer has no parts but fortunately my Lariat passed. The service advisor mentioned they expect less than 1-2% of the vehicles to fail.
Well mine didn't pass and the dealer has had my truck for almost a month! Hope they get the part soon.
Unacceptable

Pat Herbert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 corvette and a 2019 Ranger
Well mine didn't pass and the dealer has had my truck for almost a month! Hope they get the part soon.
Unacceptable
I am still waiting on the connector also. I have a good service dept. He rewired the connector after it failed so I could drive it. I knew better than to buy a first year new model but hindsight is 20/20.

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
I am still waiting on the connector also. I have a good service dept. He rewired the connector after it failed so I could drive it. I knew better than to buy a first year new model but hindsight is 20/20.
I can't think of any model year Ford that hasn't had at least one recall in the last 20 years. Connectors part numbers have now been sorted out as of January 31st and they should be getting it shortly.

Pat Herbert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 corvette and a 2019 Ranger
I also bought the first year Focus with the transmission problem. I really like my Ranger but first year problems are going to come up more often. I worked for Ford 31 years and it is a great company!

Mscaff12

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger lariat
I can't think of any model year Ford that hasn't had at least one recall in the last 20 years. Connectors part numbers have now been sorted out as of January 31st and they should be getting it shortly.
That good to here hoping it won't be much longer.

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
I also bought the first year Focus with the transmission problem. I really like my Ranger but first year problems are going to come up more often. I worked for Ford 31 years and it is a great company!
Went to London in '98 or '99 and was like "Man, that Focus sure is sweet looking."

then Ford brought it over and i got a ZX3 5speed. Man i loved driving that car....except for all the recalls. And the recalls OF the recalls. Pretty sure when i bought it, by the time i got home it had a recall notice in my mailbox. After that Focus, swore off buying another 1st year Ford.

But took a chance on the Ranger...thinking Ford & its suppliers must have their act together right?

NOPE! I didn't make it a block from the dealership when my tail lights went out. Couldn't even it make it home. Sat in service bout a month while they tried figuring out the harness issue that is now in recall.

Now watch my dumb ass go get the Bronco...

John McElroy had a scathing rant on Ford's recent financial performance and their criticism of Tesla's production woes. He brings up Ford's 100+ years of making cars and they still botch the launch of an important vehicle like the Explorer.

It pained me to listen to him bash Ford but he's right.
Sponsored