Rough Country Rear Differential Skid Plate Works!

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Installed mine today and fits great.

Shout out to the OP again, great find, thanks for the share!!! :)

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
just ordered mine. Thanks for being the test mule OP. The one time I went wheeling, the only thing that touched rock was the diff. Barely kissed, but I definitely want to protect it.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Would i be able to slide a jack and jack up the rear of the ranger by the skid plate? Will it handle ?
Take this for what it's worth, but the manual says specifically not to jack under the diff. They recommend under the shock supports.

Installing mine yesterday, I held it in place using a floor jack. Once all the bolts were started, I lifted it tight to the bottom of the diff before torquing it all down. It didn't move after, and IMO it is definitely strong enough jack under it.

But, I don't recommend doing anything not in the manual ;)

Polaris130

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Take this for what it's worth, but the manual says specifically not to jack under the diff. They recommend under the shock supports.

Installing mine yesterday, I held it in place using a floor jack. Once all the bolts were started, I lifted it tight to the bottom of the diff before torquing it all down. It didn't move after, and IMO it is definitely strong enough jack under it.

But, I don't recommend doing anything not in the manual ;)
Thank you!

codestp202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
This product looks decent but after my run in with awful Rough Country Rear Dampers both in quality and missing parts I'm very apprehensive about buying any RC products even though they are so inexpensive.

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
This product looks decent but after my run in with awful Rough Country Rear Dampers both in quality and missing parts I'm very apprehensive about buying any RC products even though they are so inexpensive.
Normally I'm not a big fan of RC in terms of lifts and such. This seems pretty well built and tough.

Reactions: Doc

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I am not a big RC fan either. It's not designed for the Ranger, so expectations for a perfect fit were low, but I am happy with it. I don't love the forward collar, but certainly good enough for what it does.

litalien26

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger FX4 2020 / Ford Galaxie 1968
Occupation
Peace officer
For those who install it!!!
I just received the skid plate, but it didn't fit??? The mechanic guy say that the plate doesn't come clean to the diff... say that it's missing like 1/4 inch... for the back of the plate to be on the diff cover lip
So he saying that it won't seal the diff cover... did you have anything special to do....everything fit? Or you had some trimming to do?

• Sad

Iowa Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion SE, 2021 XL Ranger Supercab STX 4x4
Occupation
Automotive Tooling Engineer
I wanted to keep my differential cover stock, but still add protection from rocks. So, took a gamble and ordered the Jeep JL (with the Dana M220 Rear Axle) diff skid.

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-jl-m220-diff-skid-plate-10628.html

It fits!

PXL_20210510_201201352.jpg

PXL_20210510_201230071.jpg

Note the front bracket is angled, this is how it was in the instructions too, but I went ahead and added a metal spacer in-between:
PXL_20210510_203220234.jpg
Looks Great, Did it fit to stock mounting holes, does it come with the required mounting hardware?

DanaBovender

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
From the Florida Panhandle Residing in Germany
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Gov Employee
For those who install it!!!
I just received the skid plate, but it didn't fit??? The mechanic guy say that the plate doesn't come clean to the diff... say that it's missing like 1/4 inch... for the back of the plate to be on the diff cover lip
So he saying that it won't seal the diff cover... did you have anything special to do....everything fit? Or you had some trimming to do?

Something must not be right...Mine fit snug right up against the pumpkin cover. I'd double check what that mechanic is saying

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Anyone have some guidance on torque specs for this install? The included documentation is unclear to me??

litalien26

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger FX4 2020 / Ford Galaxie 1968
Occupation
Peace officer
Something must not be right...Mine fit snug right up against the pumpkin cover. I'd double check what that mechanic is saying
I don't think there's a difference but just to be sure, do you have the electronic diff lock on yours to?

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Just installed on my 2021 Tremor this morning (and changed diff oil while there). Went on super easy and fit tight. Seems well made. Don’t know if this is necessary but will definitely give me some added comfort when/if I smack this in a rock.

292A124C-1203-4434-8A91-6574B6F82536.jpeg

DC294EF4-41A3-4050-B2C8-AAC3A814CFA9.jpeg

C992EB6B-1D5F-4870-93BF-38C1649C2C51.jpeg

FFD2E6B1-4726-4F53-A5CD-C83EFEF51320.jpeg
Sponsored