Rough Country Rear Differential Skid Plate Works!

Polaris130

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Would i be able to slide a jack and jack up the rear of the ranger by the skid plate? Will it handle ?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Would i be able to slide a jack and jack up the rear of the ranger by the skid plate? Will it handle ?
Hi Mike,

I wondered the same thing...great question!

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
Sweet! I was wondering if it would load up those fasteners on the diff cover. Might pull the trigger on one of these, if I find myself hitting trail a lot this year. Thanks for sharing.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mud doesnt ever come off the bottom side...lol...no matter how i wash...
Hi Sid,

Back story on mud. I managed Ford's Off Road Racing for about 25 years....we had our desert program, and decided to venture into Short Course mid West Offroad racing. At the time called SODA. The pinical event was Crandon Wisconsin. So after a while the desert racers thought they would come back and clean the clocks of these backyard Mid West "farmers"... Did not quite work out as planned as the desert teams could not deal with the mud. Seems the Mid west folks were a bit more savvy and not so slow either. Spray the undercarriage with WD40 from a 55 gallon drum...go race and pressure wash afterwards. Lesson learned was the desert racers were on a very step learning curve. Rob McCachren got it figured out and did well...many teams gave up as it proved too hard to try to win... So just store a 55 gallon drum of WD40 and use a pressure washer... So we had our house teams, Jeff Dorr in Class 4 (4x4) and Scott Taylor in Class 2. Both won their fair share of short course races. Jeff was a great guy with which to work...Scott was a great fabricator. Both had their talents and were always teams to be in the top to win.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Sid,

Back story on mud. I managed Ford's Off Road Racing for about 25 years....we had our desert program, and decided to venture into Short Course mid West Offroad racing. At the time called SODA. The pinical event was Crandon Wisconsin. So after a while the desert racers thought they would come back and clean the clocks of these backyard Mid West "farmers"... Did not quite work out as planned as the desert teams could not deal with the mud. Seems the Mid west folks were a bit more savvy and not so slow either. Spray the undercarriage with WD40 from a 55 gallon drum...go race and pressure wash afterwards. Lesson learned was the desert racers were on a very step learning curve. Rob McCachren got it figured out and did well...many teams gave up as it proved too hard to try to win... So just store a 55 gallon drum of WD40 and use a pressure washer... So we had our house teams, Jeff Dorr in Class 4 (4x4) and Scott Taylor in Class 2. Both won their fair share of short course races. Jeff was a great guy with which to work...Scott was a great fabricator. Both had their talents and were always teams to be in the top to win.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Great idea Phil! Amazing story... ?

SpaceGhost

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Thanks for the write up, mine just arrived! Is that spacer approximately 1/2 an inch?

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
This is great. I like this way better than just a different cover. The only skid i was able to find was $300 so this is great news
Yep, same here. That's why I was holding out. $300 for a diff skid is just ridiculous. Ordering this one now.

Jms81661

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT Ranger Sport
Occupation
Truck Driver
I like it! That’s the easiest spot to bottom out for sure. The shock mount protection caps with this is definitely a keeper! Nice mod!!!

Just curious as to what the spacers do? Was the guard in contact with the axel casting other than mount points?
Shock mount protection caps? Where can I get those?
Sponsored