Rough Country Rear Differential Skid Plate Works!

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Does it have mounting bolts on the rear? Only see the bolts on the front side.

Link to product?
Sponsored

daniel3507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4

Link to product?
There should be a link in the first post. It has the collar like clamp thing on the front but it also uses the bottom 4 bolts of the diff cover. It does come with new hardware for those 4.

OP
OP
Wasatch

Wasatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Supercab
Mine arrived as well -- thanks again for sharing.

Before I install it, another question :) How close was the diff's bolt pattern to that of the skid plate's, as you tightened it down?
I'm wondering about applying non-designed forces to the differential (eg if something were to hit the plate), if the bolt pattern isn't exact.

Also, did your diff leak at all when you removed the bottom 4 bolts? Anything unexpected during installation?
The skid matches perfect and rests flush on the bottom of the axle.

No leaks , and the bolts go through the diff cover and into the axle housing (they're all through bolts. I wouldn't worry as jeep guys have been using these for years without issue.

OP
OP
Wasatch

Wasatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Supercab

Link to product?
Yes. It comes with 4 longer bolts and washers for mounting the skid on the rear of the axle. Link is in the first post.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
The differential is 'unsprung weight' therefore your ride height will not be effected. Personally, I saw zero difference in ride quality or notice anything different.
Thanks for verifying...how much does it extend below diff?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Wasatch

Wasatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Supercab
So that means loosing .5" - 1" clearance?:frown:
In that particular area, yes. But, if I am heading over a rock and the clearance is that tight, I'd rather drag a 1/4" skid over it instead rather my differential.

Also, it protects the driveshaft and u-joints as well.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
In that particular area, yes. But, if I am heading over a rock and the clearance is that tight, I'd rather drag a 1/4" skid over it instead rather my differential.

Also, it protects the driveshaft and u-joints as well.
That's true...l think I will still install that...where did you get the spacers?

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
For installation, was lifting the back end needed?

Jacking the rear is in the instructions, but I'm not sure why -- there's plenty of clearance.

Maybe it's for unloading the diff, etc, so just curious if anyone knows.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
In trying to install this as well, I'm seeing some concerning behavior from the front top bracket.

The instructions say to torque front two bolts (that hold the top bracket in place) to 130 ft-lb. This is a large torque.

I'm only at 50 ft-lb, and the top entire bracket assembly is distorted. It's been a constant 50 ft-lb now for quite a few turns, but the assembly just continues to distort; no increase in torque. This doesn't seem right, given how far from the 130 ft-lb I'm at.

Is this an error in the documentation? Design error? Working as expected? If the latter, why is the bracket distorting so significantly?

I'm concerned that this will harm the diff somehow (especially the bearing, eg crack the iron), or the plate.

The top bracket used to be straight, now it's bent in the middle
20210515_203442.jpg

The bottom mating surface (of the top bracket half), used to be straight. Now it's bent quite a bit. Similarly, the bottom mating surface used to be flat, and is also starting to bend a bit.
20210515_203453.jpg

Again, I'm only at 50 ft-lb, and the target is 130...

OP
OP
Wasatch

Wasatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Supercab
Is this an error in the documentation? Design error? Working as expected? If the latter, why is the bracket distorting so significantly?
Also important to note this was not designed for the Ranger, so you have to take instructions with a grain of salt. The bracket is distorting because it isn't made for our axle, and the JL most likely has a slightly different height (shorter) than our housing. I found with spacers or a stack of washers, the bracket fits really well.

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
In trying to install this as well, I'm seeing some concerning behavior from the front top bracket.

The instructions say to torque front two bolts (that hold the top bracket in place) to 130 ft-lb. This is a large torque.

I'm only at 50 ft-lb, and the top entire bracket assembly is distorted. It's been a constant 50 ft-lb now for quite a few turns, but the assembly just continues to distort; no increase in torque. This doesn't seem right, given how far from the 130 ft-lb I'm at.

I'm concerned that this will harm the diff somehow (especially the bearing, eg crack the iron), or the plate.

The top bracket used to be straight, now it's bent in the middle
20210515_203442.jpg

The bottom mating surface (of the top bracket half), used to be straight. Now it's bent quite a bit. Similarly, the bottom mating surface used to be flat, and is also starting to bend a bit.
20210515_203453.jpg

Again, I'm only at 50 ft-lb, and the target is 130...
I pulled up the instructions and torque spec for that 3/8 bolt is 30 ft lbs not 130. Using a 9/16 socket is not a 9/16 bolt... The did write it in a confusing way.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Ah :( That is indeed written a bit confusingly.

I will have to order another top bracket from rough country -- this one is surely ruined, and the torque specs no longer apply.
Sponsored