Rough Country Rear Differential Skid Plate Works!

Wasatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Supercab
I wanted to keep my differential cover stock, but still add protection from rocks. So, took a gamble and ordered the Jeep JL (with the Dana M220 Rear Axle) diff skid.

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-jl-m220-diff-skid-plate-10628.html

It fits!

PXL_20210510_201201352.jpg

PXL_20210510_201230071.jpg

Note the front bracket is angled, this is how it was in the instructions too, but I went ahead and added a metal spacer in-between:
PXL_20210510_203220234.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Any room for adjustbility? I do like having my cover too.

OP
OP
Wasatch

Wasatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Supercab
Any room for adjustbility? I do like having my cover too.
I am going to assume no. The tolerances are super tight. I think with a thicker differential cover, it would not fit.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I like it! That’s the easiest spot to bottom out for sure. The shock mount protection caps with this is definitely a keeper! Nice mod!!!

Just curious as to what the spacers do? Was the guard in contact with the axel casting other than mount points?

OP
OP
Wasatch

Wasatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Supercab
I like it! That’s the easiest spot to bottom out for sure. The shock mount protection caps with this is definitely a keeper! Nice mod!!!

Just curious as to what the spacers do? Was the guard in contact with the axel casting other than mount points?
The guard was not in contact with anything, it lines up perfect. As you can see from the second photo, without the metal spacer, the bracket sat at an angle when tightened. Perhaps the JL axle is sliiiightly different in shape? Regardless it fits with, or without the spacers.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
OP
OP
Wasatch

Wasatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Supercab
Nice find! I was so excited, I already have one on order.

$149.99 CAD
Right on! Post photos when you mount it up. I would recommend the metal spacer / stack of washers for the bracket (as seen on the third photo).

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Thanks for letting us all know -- very neat that it fits :)

General question: the part is fairly heavy. Since this is mounted to an active suspension component, how much does this affect ride quality/etc? Any other side effects, since it's more moving mass? (I use Bilstein 5100 in the rear.)

OP
OP
Wasatch

Wasatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Supercab
Thanks for letting us all know -- very neat that it fits :)

General question: the part is fairly heavy. Since this is mounted to an active suspension component, how much does this affect ride quality/etc? Any other side effects, since it's more moving mass? (I use Bilstein 5100 in the rear.)
The differential is 'unsprung weight' therefore your ride height will not be effected. Personally, I saw zero difference in ride quality or notice anything different.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
I wanted to keep my differential cover stock, but still add protection from rocks. So, took a gamble and ordered the Jeep JL (with the Dana M220 Rear Axle) diff skid.

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-jl-m220-diff-skid-plate-10628.html

It fits!
Mine arrived as well -- thanks again for sharing.

Before I install it, another question :) How close was the diff's bolt pattern to that of the skid plate's, as you tightened it down?
I'm wondering about applying non-designed forces to the differential (eg if something were to hit the plate), if the bolt pattern isn't exact.

Also, did your diff leak at all when you removed the bottom 4 bolts? Anything unexpected during installation?