jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe that was my issue. Being 450lbs would bend the tailgate and also make the truck very slow. By the time I got the ranger I had already been on The Biggest Loser twice so I suppose that could make the ranger faster.
Well umm congrats? I think lmao
Sponsored

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Buddy of mine has a 2019 Tacoma TRD off road with manual trans. Stock, no mods. Seating position is different, but truck rides as good as the Tremor. The V6 in the Tacoma lacks low end torque, but shift at 3k rpm and it's no snail. It's a different truck with small issues of its own just like every other manufacturer's.
I think this is very well said. I believe the main issue with the current gen Tacoma is that you have to rev it to get power. It is somewhat surprising that Toyota hasn't done anything about it. There are aftermarket tunes that supposedly made a difference.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
But the resale value!
Resale value is important in a vehicle you can't wait to get rid of...

I think this is very well said. I believe the main issue with the current gen Tacoma is that you have to rev it to get power. It is somewhat surprising that Toyota hasn't done anything about it. There are aftermarket tunes that supposedly made a difference.
This is the biggest issue I have with the 3rd gen, well, the seating is weird too but I havn't tried one with the power seats so that may be fixed.

A truck engine needs torque down low to get loads moving and not something you have to rev to the moon.

The old Toyota 4.0 had plenty, the 3.5 has little.

In the end it just comes down to preferences.

Anyone on here could've bought a Tacoma if they wanted it and anyone on the Tacoma boards could've bought a Ranger.

Or we all could've even bought Canyorados :devil:

Last edited:

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
I have a coworker that had a beautiful F-150 Tremor. Didn't have it but maybe 6 months. Just traded it in on new Taco. WTF?
This sounds like a cost savings related decision. F150 Tremor is expensive.

Brett Fields

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4, Blackout, Tow
Occupation
Paramedic

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
This sounds like a cost savings related decision. F150 Tremor is expensive.
You may be right. It looks like his new Taco is trimmed out well though.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I bought a Tacoma after I sold my 99 Ranger. Worst truck I ever owned. Yes it was dogshit slow, transmission lugged the engine in last gear even at 20mph, still got terrible mileage and the tailgate was hollowed out to the point some people would dent theirs just standing on it. It said in the manual it's not a load bearing structure and that you are supposed to REMOVE IT to load up stuff like a motorcycle. Ridiculous.

Another thing was the driver side A-pillar is a mile wide and has a giant grab handle on it. So every time you hit a left curve you can't see shit. That truck sucked! Taco fanboys are mentally ill they can have their resale value cause I sold that truck in 6 months!
The Taco isn’t the only Japanese product that suffers from the visibility issue. My wife had an Infinite EX35, I literally just missed maybe 4 pedestrians steeping off a curb at a crosswalk to my right, because they were totally obscured by the A pillar. It took me quite a few terrifying moments, with people screaming at me for being an incompetent driver, to learn to look like three times and creep off the line at a stop, which of course had all the people behind me screaming what an incompetent driver. Tacos are the exact same way for me. Not sure what template of a human being is being used to design Japanese cars, but it clearly isn’t me.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
The Taco isn’t the only Japanese product that suffers from the visibility issue. My wife had an Infinite EX35, I literally just missed maybe 4 pedestrians steeping off a curb at a crosswalk to my right, because they were totally obscured by the A pillar. It took me quite a few terrifying moments, with people screaming at me for being an incompetent driver, to learn to look like three times and creep off the line at a stop, which of course had all the people behind me screaming what an incompetent driver. Tacos are the exact same way for me. Not sure what template of a human being is being used to design Japanese cars, but it clearly isn’t me.
If I remember correctly it was related to new rollover crash standards set at the time. Cars and trucks had to be able to withstand 3x the weight of the vehicle hitting both sides of the roof. So all the pillars become gigantic until they figured out a better way apparently.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
If I remember correctly it was related to new rollover crash standards set at the time. Cars and trucks had to be able to withstand 3x the weight of the vehicle hitting both sides of the roof. So all the pillars become gigantic until they figured out a better way apparently.
That makes better sense and actually sounds like the outcomes of government regulation. Save the bad drivers who sustain rollover crashes and if we lose a bunch of elderly pedestrians who those same drivers run over? Collateral damage to an otherwise sound policy. :(

Sorry for being so cynical, I think the Prednisone is talking, better get some breakfast. ;)

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
my biggest " oh wow " (other than power) was the view from inside the truck , felt like a 70 's model tube TV versus a wide flat-screen , the grille kills that view and the pillers and or windshield slope kill the rest, looks MUCH better outside looking in ... imo...

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
That makes better sense and actually sounds like the outcomes of government regulation. Save the bad drivers who sustain rollover crashes and if we lose a bunch of elderly pedestrians who those same drivers run over? Collateral damage to an otherwise sound policy. :(

Sorry for being so cynical, I think the Prednisone is talking, better get some breakfast. ;)
Reminds of a song…
Prednisone all in my brain
Lately things don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why
'Scuse me while I kiss the sky

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4

No it makes sense. Just about everything the gov does these days either backfires or has unintended effects. Glad handing politicians putting words on paper have no idea what the extended effects are going to be (butterfly effect style) and most don't care. I remember around the same time reading about one that wanted to put seatbelts on motorcycles!

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
No it makes sense. Just about everything the gov does these days either backfires or has unintended effects. Glad handing politicians putting words on paper have no idea what the extended effects are going to be (butterfly effect style) and most don't care. I remember around the same time reading about one that wanted to put seatbelts on motorcycles!
Expressed it better than I could.

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
Sadly the reason for that is the motor… that 3.5 is a camry motor so it drives like a old Honda you need to rev the piss out of it and it will move buuut if it’s an auto good luck!
Sponsored