New Taco TRD vs Chebby Colorado ZR2 - Car & Driver

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
If you've not already seen this review, it's a pretty interesting read. Sounds like the Taco is greatly improved... up to and including that previously god awful seating position. Now, I personally still wouldn't buy one of the damn things... but to give credit where credit is due, sounds like they got the taco right finally.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...ma-trd-off-road-2023-chevy-colorado-zr2-test/
Sponsored

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
I don't even need to read the article. I can guess. The toyo is the greatest vehicle ever made. It's always the same.

LT Dangle

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FX4 (RIP), 21 Tremor, 20 Edge ST, Couple HD's
Occupation
Trophy Husband / "Sanitation Worker" / Army Vet
I don't even need to read the article. I can guess. The toyo is the greatest vehicle ever made. It's always the same.
Of course they picked the Taco..... 🤣 some things never change
and then the complain about the price disparity... but used a fully loaded ZR2 vs a mildy optioned TRD. not the same thing. 🤡

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
and then the complain about the price disparity... but used a fully loaded ZR2 vs a mildy optioned TRD. not the same thing. 🤡
They could push out a toyota with only three wheels, uses a quart of oil every 100 miles, a lawn chair for a drivers seat and it would still get rave reviews as the greatest ever.

OP
OP
Friday yet?

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Agree with your Taco comments as it does seem everyone picks the Taco in every review. But not necessarily the case this time.

If you read the article you'll see why the fully loaded chebby was used. And also how they worked to score those options out of the actual comparison and the end results. They also compare the pricing of the comparable models... not just the as (over) spec'd chebby vs the as spec'd Taco.

Additionally you'll see that the Ranger wasn't in it as none were available. As to the Frontier? Nissan declined to participate. My guess is that Nissan was wise enough to avoid a loss.

LT Dangle

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 FX4 (RIP), 21 Tremor, 20 Edge ST, Couple HD's
Occupation
Trophy Husband / "Sanitation Worker" / Army Vet
oh, I noticed.. but I strongly doubt any of those things would have made a difference in their choice.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Interesting comments and not the 1st to be made regards Chevy's high output 2.7L . If Ford had a 2024 Ranger available for the test would have been interesting to see which "nice try" vehicle would have finished 2nd to the Taco, can't say I blame Ford for being a no show along with the Frontier.
As soon as Toyota can ramp up production Tacos will be flying off the lots.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of taco vs zr2...

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Yeah the TFL guys will try and do anything in an attempt to stay relevant or bring traffic to their site. Embarrassing that I live in the same state as them , but they are Boulder based which explains a lot. Some of their staff are so overweight I'm surprised they didn't have a coronary pushing the Taco but the pic was obviously staged and I wouldn't be surprised if whatever "almost" left them stranded was a well .

HippoTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Carbonized Gray Ranger Tremor
Yeah the TFL guys will try and do anything in an attempt to stay relevant or bring traffic to their site. Embarrassing that I live in the same state as them , but they are Boulder based which explains a lot. Some of their staff are so overweight I'm surprised they didn't have a coronary pushing the Taco but the pic was obviously staged and I wouldn't be surprised if whatever "almost" left them stranded was a well .
Not sure why their weight matters, the failure in the video seems pretty serious and during some very light offroading that should be no problem.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure why their weight matters, the failure in the video seems pretty serious and during some very light offroading that should be no problem.
It has absolutely zero to do with it. They just seem hurt by them, maybe they could point out on a stuffed bear where the tfl guys hurt them...

Also, here is the moment whatever it was broke..

OH, make sure to read the comments where apparently everyone says they should have aired down, because airing down and increasing traction would have prevent whatever broke, from breaking... 😂

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
that lil snap sound is known to folks that have pushed the limit off road. sounds like front cv / axle snapped or ring let go. he had the steering wheel turned pretty good to the side and moved, hard on 4wd parts to go any direction but straight lol. my guess is the issue is not a toycoma short coming as much as it was a scenario where just the right amount of pressure on a part already under stress.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
They could push out a toyota with only three wheels, uses a quart of oil every 100 miles, a lawn chair for a drivers seat and it would still get rave reviews as the greatest ever.
true story! The auto "journalists" seem to have a perverse obsession with toyota. I think at one time toyota made good quality stuff. but the past 15 years or so they make stuff about the same as everyone else. often the same parts from same suppliers as the other brands use.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
true story! The auto "journalists" seem to have a perverse obsession with toyota. I think at one time toyota made good quality stuff. but the past 15 years or so they make stuff about the same as everyone else. often the same parts from same suppliers as the other brands use.
Journalists. The new, ground breaking, earth shattering idea of making a four cylinder and a turbo is a true breakthrough in engine design. So much power and torque it will beat a Porsche 911 turbo in a drag race.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I think 🤔 ill go over to Tacoworld and start some threads on my new 2024 Tacoma,
"Fuel in oil "
"Tailgate opens to slowly 🐌"
" I thought these had a V6???"
" max size tires with no lift ?"
"How do I make the grille smaller?"
"Truck made loud pop and now no 4wd"
" best place to hook 🪝 up to tow my Tacoma"
Sponsored