Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
Just wondering if the factory shocks on the fx4 and non fx4 are the same. I have a non fx4 and the ride is great. A little stiff over things like railroad tracks but we don't bobblehead. I have been thinking Blisteens just because everyone says they make a difference but really have been happy with the stock ride so far. Anyone with a non fx4 see a difference in ride after the switch.
Sponsored

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Just wondering if the factory shocks on the fx4 and non fx4 are the same. I have a non fx4 and the ride is great. A little stiff over things like railroad tracks but we don't bobblehead. I have been thinking Blisteens just because everyone says they make a difference but really have been happy with the stock ride so far. Anyone with a non fx4 see a difference in ride after the switch.
I'd like to know too. I'm not super dissatisfied with my ride quality as I have the non-FX4 4wd, but I came from a 2wd that was truly crap til I put the Fox level kit on it so I'm not in a good position to compare.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Mine is an FX4 so that's all I have to go on, but I can say with certainty that the FX4 shocks are very soft and have little rebound damping.

I was surprised at how easily the factory shocks could be compressed by hand. It almost felt like they were blown from the factory.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Stay on the pavement. You will be most happy if you don't have any bumps at all.
around here the pavement is worse than dirt roads. I've seen Volkswagens lost in pot holes

and yes my bobblehead went away after switching to bilsteins

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Start with just rears. This will help ride quality alot, are cheap and be installed in driveway with just basic hand tools and some determination
Then you will love them so much you will want to do the fronts. I went with Eibach Pro Truck all around, raised the front about 1.5" and couldn't be happier.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I'd like to know too. I'm not super dissatisfied with my ride quality as I have the non-FX4 4wd, but I came from a 2wd that was truly crap til I put the Fox level kit on it so I'm not in a good position to compare.
I have a 4X4 Sport XLT. Have also driven an FX4 and can say with certainty they’re different shocks. The sport is more of a street shock. Still has the “wallow” just not as bad.

Mine are good enough so I’ll run the for a few more years and then change them out for FP Fox shocks. That is unless a deal comes my way that says, you really need these NOW! ?

jflogerzi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD/Tow CG MY22 Ranger XLT 2WD, Track Car FRS 2013
The non FX4 standard shocks are the softest. But they still rock alot due to them being under dampened. Honestly if your not interested in a lift I would just replace the rears and leave the fronts alone

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
You won't find a better place to spend $200 improving your ride than Bilstein 5100s in the rear.

HERE is an extensive thread detailing the Bilsteins.

If just the rear, the Eibachs are also highly recommended.

I have the 5100s front and rear on my truck and the ride transformation is extremely impressive.

Touch base with Frank on here @Stage3Motorsports

They are a forum vendor and all my dealings with them have been top notch.
Follow this man’s advice

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
The FX4 shocks are Ranchos. I think I read somewhere the non FX4 models have a different supplier.

I personally don't think it is just a shock issue with the FX4 (although Ranchos don't have a stellar reputation). I think it is a combination of spring/shock package that might lead to a more objectionable ride. The fact that most aftermarket quality shocks address the issue I think help obscure the original mismatch.

I am going to install a set of Tremor springs first to see if they address the mismatch issue. I will get to the Ford Fox level kit eventually, just thought I would give my theory a test first. :)

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Bilstein 4600s all the way around - not cheap. Ask me how I know.....

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
The Hellwig rear sway bar took a lot of the side to side motion away, also improved the overall stability of the truck.
Interesting, I would have guessed a sway bar while improving lean in a corner (flatter), would tend to increase side to side rocking as it would tend to remove articulation.
Sponsored