First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS; Ford Ranger
Occupation
ADA
Countless users have bemoaned the stock ride quality and I honestly don't get it.

(1) I find that the ride is very complaint, except the usual complaints about the rear end jutter over bumps and dips. However, this hasn't been too bad in my experience.
(2) My crew cab 4x4 Ranger STX has a 1,531lb cargo capacity which I think is plenty.
(3) In the land of OZ, the a crew cab 4x4 Ranger has a * * 2,150 lb * * cargo capacity and their auto journalists claim the ride is good. They don't have the F-150 or super duties there so that explains the payload difference.

What gives? Are Americans just overly sensitive to ride quality? The Ranger's rear axle isn't as planted as my ATS's with magnetic ride control, but I can feel the reflectors on a highway in the ATS where in the Ranger you wouldn't know you've hit one.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Countless users have bemoaned the stock ride quality and I honestly don't get it.

(1) I find that the ride is very complaint, except the usual complaints about the rear end jutter over bumps and dips. However, this hasn't been too bad in my experience.
(2) My crew cab 4x4 Ranger STX has a 1,531lb cargo capacity which I think is plenty.
(3) In the land of OZ, the a crew cab 4x4 Ranger has a * * 2,150 lb * * cargo capacity and their auto journalists claim the ride is good. They don't have the F-150 or super duties there so that explains the payload difference.

What gives? Are Americans just overly sensitive to ride quality? The Ranger's rear axle isn't as planted as my ATS's with magnetic ride control, but I can feel the reflectors on a highway in the ATS where in the Ranger you wouldn't know you've hit one.
Hi Dayton,

Vehicle ride is such a subjective and contentious, it is impossible to please every customer. We do customer evaluations in many areas of the country for example with various ride combinations and this helps us determine the likely best compromise. Because trucks have many more varied usages from work and hauling to pleasure and fun...you just flat cannot win...there will always be complaints.

best,
Phil

OP
OP

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
Hi Dayton,

Vehicle ride is such a subjective and contentious, it is impossible to please every customer. We do customer evaluations in many areas of the country for example with various ride combinations and this helps us determine the likely best compromise. Because trucks have many more varied usages from work and hauling to pleasure and fun...you just flat cannot win...there will always be complaints.

best,
Phil
I don't want to derail my own thread, but what were the internal thoughts on auto-journalists' consistently negative opinions on Ford and Lincoln interior quality? Were the detractors ignored, was it considered but unaddressed because no solutions existed, or something else?

Why not take on consultants from the auto-journalist world to help with the complaints?

Thanks!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Everyone uses their truck differently. The guy who rarely hauls anything or has any weight in the rear will most likely hate the ride. Someone like myself who has always had the Fx4 package in my F150's and usually has some weight (work stuff) back their it doesn't bother them. I find it a little unstable over washboards but I don't hit them enough to change out the shocks. Different strokes for different folks that's why the aftermarket is there. :)

OP
OP

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
Just because it’s good, doesn’t mean it can’t be better.
What areas are wanting for improvement in your opinion? I think there are four general categories of bump and dip handling. Those are (1) fast bump dampening, (2) slow bump dampening, (3) fast rebound dampening, and (4) slow rebound dampening.

I think that fast bump dampening might be stiffened in the rear to improve ride but the issue really is the weight of the rear axle is almost impossible to manage because the frame is the next weakest link. The whole truck literally shakes if the rearend starts bouncing. However, if the frame were stiffened maybe the rearend could be better controlled?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I don't want to derail my own thread, but what were the internal thoughts on auto-journalists' consistently negative opinions on Ford and Lincoln interior quality? Were the detractors ignored, was it considered but unaddressed because no solutions existed, or something else?

Why not take on consultants from the auto-journalist world to help with the complaints?

Thanks!
My opinion on the Automotive Journalists is about where Whale Shit resides... We use real customers...

best,
Phil

OP
OP

docarter

First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ADA
My opinion on the Automotive Journalists is about where Whale Shit resides... We use real customers...

best,
Phil
But don't the auto mags, even in 2021, command a huge audience? I mean at the very least they frame the conversations.

I think the focus groups or similar consumer research focus forgets that those participants are being paid to report on something and may feel obligated to respond favorably. Likewise, how about selection bias, you know truck owners are some of the most loyal and may not look at a problem objectively.

I don't necessarily agree with the auto-rags, but I appreciate their role.

Thanks again!

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Opinion of the ride probably varies by location an what you use your truck for. I use mine as a daily driver an haul the occasional load of junk for home improvements. I also live in a northern state where the roads turn to crap or never even get fixed. On smooth flat roads I don't have a complaint but hitting a few pot holes that could swallow a smart car makes the truck rock back an forth for a few seconds an that gets (got) old. The nice thing is the ride height an physical toughness of the trucks suspension can handle the craters in the roads, the trade off is it rides firmer/bouncier than a car or crossover SUV. I added eibach shocks to the rear an that really helped control the bouncing.

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
This might piss some brand loyalists off but... far as ride quality; I say 2 out of 10 for my daily commute. Love everything about the truck except ride quality. The intermittent vibrations at any speed or rpm is enough to make me literally sick. Been happening since new (Now at 4000 miles). Might have to take a $ loss and trade for something else because vibes are almost intolerable. My standards for ride quality aren't very high either considering this is 1st ever new truck I have ever purchased and my previous trucks were much older, higher mileage pre-owned vehicles that provide better ride quality. Besides that; I love the look, stance, exterior, interior and ecoboost 4banger motor

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
Opinion of the ride probably varies by location an what you use your truck for. I use mine as a daily driver an haul the occasional load of junk for home improvements. I also live in a northern state where the roads turn to crap or never even get fixed. On smooth flat roads I don't have a complaint but hitting a few pot holes that could swallow a smart car makes the truck rock back an forth for a few seconds an that gets (got) old. The nice thing is the ride height an physical toughness of the trucks suspension can handle the craters in the roads, the trade off is it rides firmer/bouncier than a car or crossover SUV. I added eibach shocks to the rear an that really helped control the bouncing.
Same here and Eibach shocks on the rear gave me a better ride.... at first I didn't notice much difference other than feeling more "planted", but strangely, it seems go have gotten even better in the month or so since I had them put on. No more hard thump and jarring when going over bumps in the road. Maybe it's my imagination.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Tremor package and the ride is crazy smooth. Soaks up everything without jounce or rocking. Feels firm and planted. Zero regrets.

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
You can't expect to be able to tow 7500 pounds and have the truck drive like a car when unloaded although my F-150 Supercrew did a pretty good job of it. It sorta like the boat world. You want to run on 3 foot swells the 21' boat will do much better than a 17'.

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021

best,
Phil
Whale shit costs $7000 per pound and usually resides at perfume parlors. I didn't know that you had so high feelings for the automotive journalists... :)

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
I found the rear end was just a tad loose and jumpy over rough roads. Replaced the rear shocks with Eibach and the truck feels much more planted and solid. I don't carry a lot of weight in the box regularly, and while it's a little known fact that many of Canada's roads are paved, they aren't always the smoothest.

Maybe the way they determine ride characteristics is similar to cafeteria style cooking: you gotta make it bland enough so that most people will eat it, but they sure ain't gonna love it.
Sponsored