Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat CC Black FX2 (Wife's), 2017 Rubicon 2d
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of first trucks,
Mine was a ‘72 Chevy 1/2 ton short bed. 305 with 4 speed. I traded a banjo for it. Yes, a banjo! Drove it for three years, then traded it back to the original owner for the very same banjo. Simple days…
A '72 would be worth some money now! I had a '71 when I got married, was going to do another restoration on it, but decided it wasn't worth all the money/time again. My first truck was a '78 Scottsdale, Short bed, 2wd, 350, 3 speed auto, Black w/Red interior. I think it got maybe 6-8 mpg, LOL! Price of fuel when I owned it was less than $1/gal :)

The one truck I truly regret getting rid of, was a '55 Ford F100, that was 99% restored when my neighbor got it. Built 302, C4 Auto, Lowered/Raked, frame-off restoration, no power steering, (had a power brake conversion though), no A/C, no radio, no power locks/windows, rode like crap on those huge tires, had old Crager SS wheels, sounded amazing! I was so proud of this old truck! Pic was taken early '99
1934623_1040764387598_5407637_n.jpg

Neighbor knew nothing about classic vehicles and the old truck wouldn't run and was in grey primer. He traded me a new (at the time) '99 Honda 300 2wd 4 wheeler and $1000 bucks for the truck. Within a couple of hours, we had it running. The oil pump needed replaced and the carb needed adjusted. My dad and I painted it, '69 Chevy Aqua Blue and I drove it for about 3-4 years and it was mint! I traded it even for a POS '69 Chevelle SS, per my X-girlfriends request... Stupidest thing I've ever done in my life! When I met my now wife in '04, she said, what kind of idiot girl would ever want a guy to get rid of something like that? I have searched and searched for another truck like this for years and they're all junk or too much or too modernized....
Sponsored

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Reading these ride quality threads and so many changing out the stock shocks made me wonder how many thousands of stock shocks just got dumped in the landfill, or maybe they were thrown in the recycle bin.
When I get my base XL, I'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll add to the stock shock throw away pile. :)

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'll add my suspension experience.

2019 FX4. I didn't really have an issue with the stock ride. It was was OK I felt, but I did occasionally notice some of the "bobbing" that others had mentioned. I think part of the reason that I had a decent ride was because I almost immediately replaced the stock Hankooks with a set of Falken Wildpeaks in 265/70/17 which were a BIG improvement.

After all the rave reviews I decided to try changing the rears out for the Bilstein 5100s.

Big improvement there, especially on washboard dirt roads. I honestly thought my stock FX4 was fine until I switched them out. I should've done it sooner.

Next step was putting the matching Bilsteins on the front set at 1.8" lift. This didn't give as noticeable an improvement initially, but when I drove over the same washboard road the improvement was there. Another big positive.

So then I ran across a set of Tremor rear leafs and put those on my truck to replace the monoleafs. Another nice upgrade.

Now I am 100% happy with my ride and handling. The truck rides and tracks smoothly on the highway and any hints of porpoising are gone.
Sponsored