First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Been thinking about one these. Did you do shocks too?
My truck is a Tremor, the shocks are good enough, I did change the rear springs to the Global multi leaf, but that was so I could de-arc them and leave the Tremor multi leaf springs alone.

The sway bay was a huge improvement for me, I drive hard and it really calms down the back of the truck, especially when changing lanes on the frwy, you don't get that rear wiggle, of course it's great on hard turns as well, a member here (Gryder I think) suggested setting the swaybar on the firmest setting, it is the way to go.
Sponsored

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Interesting, I would have guessed a sway bar while improving lean in a corner (flatter), would tend to increase side to side rocking as it would tend to remove articulation.
I think it helps control the spring (which is the shocks job) but it does counter act the chassis rocking, I have disconnected it for short periods of time during leaf spring work (springs have been in and out 3 times) and I always notice it with driveways, speed bumps and lane changes.

I very much recommend a rear bar, but.. the Tremor has a lighter front bar, so maybe I need it more than a non Tremor.

I've considered putting on a regular front bar as well.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I think it helps control the spring (which is the shocks job) but it does counter act the chassis rocking, I have disconnected it for short periods of time during leaf spring work (springs have been in and out 3 times) and I always notice it with driveways, speed bumps and lane changes.

I very much recommend a rear bar, but.. the Tremor has a lighter front bar, so maybe I need it more than a non Tremor.

I've considered putting on a regular front bar as well.
Very surprising result (on the rocking back and forth dampening), still trying to get my head around that.

On corning on the street, I can definitely see how it would help.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It's simple, the side to side movement now has to twist a 3/4 bar.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
My truck is a Tremor, the shocks are good enough, I did change the rear springs to the Global multi leaf, but that was so I could de-arc them and leave the Tremor multi leaf springs alone.

The sway bay was a huge improvement for me, I drive hard and it really calms down the back of the truck, especially when changing lanes on the frwy, you don't get that rear wiggle, of course it's great on hard turns as well, a member here (Gryder I think) suggested setting the swaybar on the firmest setting, it is the way to go.
Thanks

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
It's simple, the side to side movement now has to twist a 3/4 bar.
To keep the body more level in uneven terrain (where one wheel is in bump and another perhaps in droop) you want more articulation, sway bars limit articulation.

I believe you when you say you feel an improvement in side to side rocking on uneven surfaces.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, I know sway bars are for asphalt, that's where the OP listed his concerns.

Off road is another subject all together.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting, I would have guessed a sway bar while improving lean in a corner (flatter), would tend to increase side to side rocking as it would tend to remove articulation.
You're right...there's the no sway bar front/rear side to side soft rocking and then there's the head bang into side glass with stiff front/rear sway bars...crossing speed bumps at an angle is a real pain unless I crawl over them...

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I was surprised at how easily the factory shocks could be compressed by hand. It almost felt like they were blown from the factory.
The faster you try to compress a shock the harder it will resist due to valving . Shocks control the speed of the the wheel moving up and down only, the spring is what holds the car up. Shocks are easy to move slowly with your hand. Springs on the other hand are almost impossible to move with your hand.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
The faster you try to compress a shock the harder it will resist due to valving . Shocks control the speed of the the wheel moving up and down only, the spring is what holds the car up. Shocks are easy to move slowly with your hand. Springs on the other hand are almost impossible to move with your hand.
I compared the Eibach's to the stock rear shocks and there was no comparison when compressing by hand. Eichbachs collapse much harder.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
I did 4600’s in the rear of my 2wd as soon as I got it. much better, and I’m happy. I also have the blue Sumo bump stop replacements.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Try compressing the Bilsteins slowly by hand.

I'm aware that the FX4 shocks are hydraulic and the Bilsteins are gas charged, but the FX4 shocks honestly feel blown they are so soft.

And the compression is not where they're weakest, the rebound is really poor.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather

I'm aware that the FX4 shocks are hydraulic and the Bilsteins are gas charged, but the FX4 shocks honestly feel blown they are so soft.

one of my rear fx4 shocks was toasted. im not a muscle brute and could play the bad shock like an according lol. one seemed ok. to be totally honest its likely my fault the shock failed. the 5100 bilstein feels much better. a bit more controlled without being too stiff.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase

I'm not saying that there is not a difference in shocks or that you can compress one easier than another . I'm just pointing out that just because you can compress one model more easily than another , that in of itself is not a sign of it being "Blown" , LOL .
Signs of leaking would certainly point to a blown shock and there can be an internal bypass issue which would present itself in a totally different manner .
I'm sure the stock shocks were designed to be perfectly functional for 90% of the people that buy the vehicle . You can hand compress most any OEM shock out there , although since I have installed a TGD I am finding it more difficult to do in my later years :)
Sponsored