First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Either every single dealer needs to get new and calibrated pressure gauges or something. Yes almost all tires are over inflated by the dealerships.

My 2020 XLT FX4 was the same. I deflated them down to the recommended 38 psi and that made all the difference.
Most of them use a LooksRite calibrated pressure gauge.
Prep guy walks around the truck and says, "yup, Looks Rite, cause it ain't flat".
Sponsored

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Either every single dealer needs to get new and calibrated pressure gauges or something. Yes almost all tires are over inflated by the dealerships.

My 2020 XLT FX4 was the same. I deflated them down to the recommended 38 psi and that made all the difference.
I heard that the factory over inflates them so they bounce less during transport. That would mean that the dealer is not checking the pressure during prep.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I heard that the factory over inflates them so they bounce less during transport. That would mean that the dealer is not checking the pressure during prep.
Phil has said that they are over inflated as part of the installation process (to set the bead - at least that is how I understood it) - they just never get set to the correct pressure as it is supposed to be part of PDI.

It is strange how something so basic and so simple gets missed by pretty much every dealer. Mine had 40+ lbs in them as well at delivery.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
This debate about shocks is not the same across the Ranger platform. It’s pretty well known FX4 setup isn’t all that good. I got a 4X4 XLT Sport and the shocks are obviously different. I’m pretty sure depending on what you ordered is also the what you get with the shocks. Seems the Tremor, STX, XL etc each get their own part numbers.

On the whale shit…. The stuff that comes out the backside is excrement. The stuff they puke is worth money! Know your shit‼ ?

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
Either way on the shocks, I have no complaints on the ride quality of my FX4 even with the stock Hankook tires. The FX 4 ride is no better or worse than the Jeep Cherokee it replaced.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Tremors and non North America vehicles (global) have a completely different rear leaf spring, they will ride better by having a proper multi leaf dampening design.
Why Ford went with the single rear leaf spring in the US does not make sense.

OCL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
I test drove the 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 and the Tremor back to back. It was a limited test drive, but I did hit a rough section of road, some broken up freeway section, and a few twisty turns. I didn't find the FX4 suspension bad at all, to even complain. But right after driving the Tremor, it was obvious which truck had the better suspension. Primarily the damping was so much better on the Tremor. It wasn't a deal breaker for me though.

If I had gotten the FX4 and found the ride objectionable later on, I would have been very happy to replace the shocks with higher quality, better performing shocks. Which I normally do on my trucks in the past. But this Tremor with the FOX shocks...they are wonderful. I'll leave those alone.

Last edited:

stringbreaker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Mine had so much body roll and it dove like it was searching for the bottom of the lake until I had the Bilstein shocks installed. My wife would get nauseated when we drove to the mountains or any twisty road the shoocks cured it. My two cents

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was not a fan of the body roll either, I installed the Hellwig rear sway bar, put it on full stiff and love it, they should come from the factory with one in my opinion.
Although the bar does not properly fit the Tremor, you need slightly longer links.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I have a tendency to take the curvy back roads pretty fast in my FX4 and have not noticed any body roll that some are complaining about.

I do get some cray bouncing when I hit some bad wash boards on back roads, but that has happened in every vehicle I have owned if I am driving too fast.

SilverXLT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT , CC 2WD
Body roll, or more like body lurch. Throws your upper body around. Worst slow speed ride I have ever owned. I lowered the tires to 30 psi and when I have 500 plus pounds in the bed it rides much better , I have driven only trucks since the 70's. Mostly F250's . Next is replace the rear shocks.

Mark T

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
bank examiner
I was not a fan of the body roll either, I installed the Hellwig rear sway bar, put it on full stiff and love it, they should come from the factory with one in my opinion.
Although the bar does not properly fit the Tremor, you need slightly longer links.
I test drove a Ranger before I bought my Ridgeline. The body roll is what steered me away from the Ranger. Twice I felt like I was going to lose control on exit ramps (but I had been driving a MB GLK). Now that the Tremor is out I am contemplating replacing the Ridgeline with a Tremor. I have read many positive comments about the Fox shocks improving ride quality, but do they help with body roll, or make it even worse? Are rear sway bars available for the Tremor? If yes, do you know the approximate cost, if dealer installed?

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The Tremor ride and handling is good in my opinion, I like the Hellwig rear bar, and they do sell longer links, they are easy to put on.