Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
L

Lmao. Nope! Driving from Houston towards Dallas on I-45. I got between 24-25 MPG on my way home. Must of been the wind.
About 2 weeks ago I had just filled up and went to the airport and averaged 26.6 round trip. But that all went down once I was back to my normal stop and go driving around town. I'm still averaging 22 which isn't bad for having larger tires and a level kit.
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

Went camping this past weekend, as we do every year on Father's Day weekend. Pulled the teardrop and had the kayaks on the topper. Got ~20mpg on the way to the campground and ~19mpg on the way home (Father-in-law got 9.3mpg with his new Silverado 1500 pulling their 26ft travel trailer and kayaks on the topper). My 1-2mpg bump from the topper has sustained through all configurations so far.
From 22 to 24 during work commute
From 24 to 26 during normal trips
From 23 to 25 during kayaking trips
From 18 to 19/20 pulling the trailer with kayaks
Pretty pumped about that!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
06-26-2020
27.6 mpg

FX-4 SuperCab on Shell 91 Octane, About 6,800 miles on odometer

Just keeps getting better and better :clap:

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
I filled up and reset the MPG for the trip to camp today...27.6 mpg averaging 55-60 MPH

ISUACE

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
The best I ever got for a trip was when I was basically stock.. hit 22.8 in Denver.. heading to Laramie..

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Insert Impossibru meme
The best I ever got for a trip was when I was basically stock.. hit 22.8 in Denver.. heading to Laramie..
We actually averaged a little better than 29 mpg yesterday on a 90 mile trip. Using cruise control makes a huge difference.

Matsterious

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend 2.7L Mid Package 4.27
We actually averaged a little better than 29 mpg yesterday on a 90 mile trip. Using cruise control makes a huge difference.
What would you say is your avg mph on that trip?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 XL STX FX4
My 2 cents: these trucks can get wicked good mpg but really shine in the 50-60mph range. My guess is that the wind resistance above that requires leaning on the turbo a bit more, and we all know what happens then. (My vehicle is a 4x4 XL FX4).

I just made a trip yesterday after filling up, normally I would expect 23-24 mpg on this route but I tried to stay off the gas just a little more than usual. The whole trip was between 35-60 mph on some windy roads with a few decent hills, mostly a straight shot but stopped at a couple lights and for construction twice (got 27.7 mpg):

27-7mpg.jpg

(All figures are by the trip computer because I was lazy, it usually reads about .5 mpg high but I just use it as a baseline anyways)

In the first ~20 miles where it was flat, I was seeing just over 30 mpg. I know, extremely small sample size, but it was fun to see on the dash:
30-5mpg.jpg

For a larger and perhaps more realistic sample, last weekend I drove 1800 miles round trip from the coast up to 7000' and back. The majority of the time I was doing 75-85 on the freeway in 90+ degree temps (hit 110 a few times), and of course had the AC blasting nearly the entire way. Round trip mpg was reported at 23.2:

23-2mpg 1800 mi.jpg

Interestingly, I was at 22.9 on the way up and only got .3 mpg back on the return trip, despite losing a mile and a half of elevation on the latter leg instead of climbing. Maybe my foot got a bit heavier because I was ready to be off the road?

Conclusions: this truck's mpg are affected by even slight differences in driving style, probably more than anything else I have driven. As others have said, it's either eco or boost, take your pick. If you want to sip gas, use a light foot and cruise control and it should perform well, especially on highways where you'll stay under 75 mph. (Side note, cruise control is pretty aggressive in getting back up to speed, so doing that manually will probably be more efficient than hitting "resume" after a slow-down). If you want to have some fun the Ranger will provide, but you'll pay for it from the gas tank. That being said, I wasn't hypermiling or particularly concerned with maxing mpg on that 1800 mile trip since I had to go a long ways in a little bit of time, and going freeway speeds with the AC on, through the desert, up to the mountains, and back still got me a decent number (23.2).

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
LOL, ya. I don't know why I even read this thread. I can't even get over 22mpg with a 2x4 on mostly highway but then I do have a lead foot.
Ditto.
Sponsored