First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I drive for MPG most times. Occasionally someone will be squatting in the left lane an I'll hammer it to get around. I generally avg 19-20 hand calculated doing about a 50/50 mix highway city. I just did a tank in one day running 2 hours away to my kid's to help him move from one city to another an I did a bunch of highway an a lot of rural highways where it was 55 an not many stops. I knocked out 25 on this tank, including 25 miles with the bed loaded down with his stuff. My hand calc was 25.2 an the computer showed 25 this was the first time hand calc was higher than the computer showed. When I bought the truck I was hoping for 22 combined so I'm not that far off. My 03 edge extended cap with the 3.0 an 2 wd only got 22 highway but it had the 4:10 towing package.
Sponsored

Doublestack00

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Occupation
IT
Anyone tuned? Before and after MPG?

Desertranger19

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
When I first bought the truck, (2wd, stock suspension, tires and all) I managed 25.2 mpg on my first tank of gas, was about 80% hwy and the rest city.
Right before i put gas for the 2nd time, I had already leveled the truck, added 265/70R17 Load range E BFG KO2's and dropped to about 22.5 or so. I have then added a K&N filter (drop into factory air box), magnaflow welded in place of factory muffler and had seen a max of 23.4 with about 75-80% highway since I use my truck daily for work and i do use the highway to and from work mostly. My lifetime mileage for 1600 miles of driving since I bought it now sits at 22.3 mpg.
I am a MPG "fanatic" so I do experiment with fuel brands, octane rating and since I do have a pretty much set routine I am pretty consistent on my MPG tests. I do get better MPG with 91 octane but with the cost difference from say 87 to 91, its pretty much an equal trade off. But I do like to use higher octane fuel cause the truck does feel like it has smoother powerband in the heat. less lag from stop and go driving since the higher octane does help with timing control as temps rise, specially here in Las Vegas where its always so damn hot.

Deuce

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I drove from Myrtle Beach to Virginia Beach and averaged 27.7 mpg. I bought gas at Costco for $135.9.

Reactions: Doc

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I drove from Myrtle Beach to Virginia Beach and averaged 27.7 mpg. I bought gas at Costco for $135.9.
Whew, $136/gallon, and I thought California was bad. :crackup: :crackup:

xxEMOxx

First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Crew 4x4 XLT Blue
Occupation
Bars!
Vehicle Showcase
Im at 649 miles and 2 tank fillups not including the dealers currently at 16.9MPG (comp avg.), I do alot alot of city driving now, especially since I have been doing gig work for GoPuff doing deliveries. This is still much better then my old pig Durango or Chevy C1500 gets but I was hoping to be closer to 20MPG.

Maybe once I get through break in and hopefully the tranny gets smoother and stops feeling like its engine braking cause that I can see totally killing mileage.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Im at 649 miles and 2 tank fillups not including the dealers currently at 16.9MPG (comp avg.), I do alot alot of city driving now, especially since I have been doing gig work for GoPuff doing deliveries. This is still much better then my old pig Durango or Chevy C1500 gets but I was hoping to be closer to 20MPG.

Maybe once I get through break in and hopefully the tranny gets smoother and stops feeling like its engine braking cause that I can see totally killing mileage.
One thing to note, if you're driving in sport mode, it will engine brake as part of that tuning. Drive mode won't do that in normal operation.

(Edited to fix autocorrect)

Last edited:

Michel Jeanneau

First Name
Michel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4 the black beast
Just turned 2100 miles on the odometer; another trip to camp loaded with wife, kids bags and bicycles...25.1 MPG uphill most of the way and back roads 50-60 mph...not bad

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I filled up an reset the tripometer an jumped on the highway for an hour today. LEO was heavy an I wasn't in a hurry so I set the cruise at 65 an got 30.3 on a 55 mile drive. I drive it easy an rarely get above 20 combined. It was 17 degrees hotter driving home an the avg dropped to 27.7 after the drive back. The tank I had just ran showed 21.9 an I got 21.6 hand calculated on shell 87.

Deleted member 1634

I filled up an reset the tripometer an jumped on the highway for an hour today. LEO was heavy an I wasn't in a hurry so I set the cruise at 65 an got 30.3 on a 55 mile drive. I drive it easy an rarely get above 20 combined. It was 17 degrees hotter driving home an the avg dropped to 27.7 after the drive back. The tank I had just ran showed 21.9 an I got 21.6 hand calculated on shell 87.
I've noticed watching the instantaneous mileage that cruising at highway speeds (55-65mph) the truck is getting slightly above 30mpg, so technically if you pull out of a gas station and cruise at those speeds on nice flat, smooth, rolling hills for the whole tank then you could get low 30s. Definitely on my list of experiments I want to try.

Also, it seems like my topper has given me a 1-2mpg bump across the board (22 up to 24mpg on my work commute and 25 up to 26mpg on my mixed freeway trips), so that should make it even easier!

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was wondering if a topper would help the ride since my ranger rode better hauling some stuff when my kid moved.

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
I was wondering if a topper would help the ride since my ranger rode better hauling some stuff when my kid moved.
To me, the ride is the same. The toppers don't weigh as much as I think people expect them too. It's not like loading some concrete bags into your bed.

Deleted member 1634

Your topper must be magical, Matt. Mine hasn't made a difference at all but hey, at least it hasn't caused the MPG to go down! :LOL:
I wasn't expecting much either. I'm thinking that it may just help exentuate my already eco focused driving. I'm the guy everyone scowls at as they pass me in anger when I don't floor it leaving a stoplight like everyone else does. haha I also don't have bars or tracks or pads on the roof of mine, so that has a little affect. Either way, I'm happy with the result, whether it's magic or not. haha

Deleted member 1634

To me, the ride is the same. The toppers don't weigh as much as I think people expect them too. It's not like loading some concrete bags into your bed.
Yeah, the ride doesn't really feel any different. These fiberglass toppers only weigh 150-200lbs or so, so it's like having another person riding along with you, not enough to make any noticeable difference to the ride.
Sponsored