First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The current Ford website as of this date (1/21/21) still calls out (advertises) 6 Tie Downs for the 2019 Ranger and only 4 Tie downs for the 2020 Ranger..

https://www.ford.com/trucks/ranger/2019/models/ranger-lariat/

See "Exterior Features"
Contrary to what VAMike is telling you... the website more than likely will actually help you if your dealer appreciates your business.

You just bought a 2019 vehicle that cost 30-40 grand. The dealer shouldn't be upset that you expect Ford to supply you with what they showed you they would be supplying you.

Many of us here have talked with the dealer, and they were gracious enough to step up and supply the parts for those of us with 2019 Rangers.

Nothing wrong with asking and showing them the corporate data, and various threads here where dealers have helped their customers. Here's a link: Where Are My Other Two Bed Tie Downs?

If all that fails... just buy them yourself.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
When I took delivery of my 2020 last Saturday, I did take a chance and pointed out to my salesmen the lack of the 2 tie-downs just to see what response would be.
His reply was that I could purchase them from parts and that Ford had made running change sometime in late 2019 to equip units after that date with just 4.
So much with my hopes of him being unaware of this. I'll just email their parts department to order them and use my pass rewards for their cost.
While inspecting my truck's bed, I did notice that Ford now secures the bed ala GM fashion with fasteners located under the bed.
All my previous Ford p/ups used sizeable Torx head bolts that were located in the bed and went into J nuts into the frame rails, this made for easy bed removal.
Additionally, the tailgate latch mechanism cover plate on the gate is secured with the tiniest exterior fasteners I've ever seen Ford use.
The bean counters reign supreme again...

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Contrary to what VAMike is telling you... the website more than likely will actually help you if your dealer appreciates your business.
If your dealer appreciates your business you could just point to the empty holes and ask for two more tie-downs. Playing lawyer won't change things, especially since the documents you're pointing to say that things can change, and ford's internal guidance tells dealers not to try to submit missing tie-downs as a warranty item. Understand that you're asking the dealer to eat the cost of two tie downs, and decide how much it matters to you and then do what you want. Just don't start waving sales glossies around making demands because you don't actually have a leg to stand on--but if you're polite and make a reasonable request, you might just get lucky and the dealer rolls it into the customer relations/donut line item.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
If your dealer appreciates your business you could just point to the empty holes and ask for two more tie-downs. Playing lawyer won't change things, especially since the documents you're pointing to say that things can change, and ford's internal guidance tells dealers not to try to submit missing tie-downs as a warranty item. Understand that you're asking the dealer to eat the cost of two tie downs, and decide how much it matters to you and then do what you want. Just don't start waving sales glossies around making demands because you don't actually have a leg to stand on--but if you're polite and make a reasonable request, you might just get lucky and the dealer rolls it into the customer relations/donut line item.
My dealer asked to see the information... and I showed it to him. It worked great, no worries.

And depending on how they process the paperwork... they will get reimbursed by Ford, it won;t come out of their pocket.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dealer asked to see the information... and I showed it to him. It worked great, no worries.

And depending on how they process the paperwork... they will get reimbursed by Ford, it won;t come out of their pocket.
so you haven't seen the posts by people working in dealerships saying that ford has specifically told dealers that ford isn't paying for it, and you're disregarding the posts from people whose dealers told them the same thing? again, if you want to ask your dealer for a freebie, more power to you--just don't kid yourself that you aren't asking for a favor.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
so you haven't seen the posts by people working in dealerships saying that ford has specifically told dealers that ford isn't paying for it, and you're disregarding the posts from people whose dealers told them the same thing? again, if you want to ask your dealer for a freebie, more power to you--just don't kid yourself that you aren't asking for a favor.
I really could not care less about Ford's internal processes and procedures.

I'm not asking for a favor or a freebie for them to provide me with a truck that has 6 tie downs... and here is why:

When we bought our truck in Sept 2019. the brochure showed 6 tie downs, the trucks in my dealers lot had 6 tie downs and the truck on the showroom floor had 6 tie downs.

Just like if the truck came in without the lid for the console, or if it had 3 aluminum wheels and 1 steel wheel, I'd expect them to make that right too.

According to you they could have pointed to the disclaimer in the brochure or website.

Everybody involved did the right thing and made our new truck match what we were shown.

And I've shared this for other folks.. so they can also get the truck they were shown and told they would get.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really could not care less about Ford's internal processes and procedures.
Clearly, facts don't have an impact when you've made up your mind.

According to you they could have pointed to the disclaimer in the brochure or website.
Yup, you finally understand. At that point you have three options: you can take the truck as-is, you can walk away, or you can negotiate with the dealer to get the parts. I don't understand why this concept bothers you so much. :like:

Schafies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer. 2019 Ford Ranger.
When I ordered my XLT the Ford build website showed a picture of the outside mirror with the verbiage power and heated. Great I thought. A little while after I took delivery I noticed the mirrors are not heated yet the Ford build site still showed them on the XLT.

On a whim I emailed the sales guy showing him the heated mirrors asking why my truck does not have them. His reply was the web sites wrong. End of story. I kinda figured that the site was wrong but I was curious as to what response I would get.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
... you have three options: you can take the truck as-is, you can walk away, or you can negotiate with the dealer to get the parts. I don't understand why this concept bothers you so much. :like:
What bothers me is every time any body mentions bed tie downs you step in as Ford's Legal Counsel and start with the chapter and verse.. telling everybody what they already know... there's a disclaimer.

In your 3 option scenario I took the 4th option. No negotiations, just mentioned the lack of tie downs, showed them the truck on the showroom floor that had 6, showed them my truck that had 4, showed them their own brochure that stated 6 and they were more than happy to help.

And I like to remind our fellow 2019 Ranger owners of that, so they know others have gotten the missing tie downs.... so they don't just read the naysayer posts from you and give up.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What bothers me is every time any body mentions bed tie downs you step in as Ford's Legal Counsel and start with the chapter and verse.. telling everybody what they already know... there's a disclaimer.
What bothers me is that you take your experience with a dealer that didn't get the memo and go around telling people that's the way things should be, refusing to acknowledge reality that the dealer screwed up if they led you to believe it was a mistake that Ford would pay for. But it doesn't bother me all that much and I wouldn't even care if you'd simply share your experience and stop calling me out. You may think everyone knows that this isn't something Ford will pay for, but you seem to have problems understanding it yourself, and the fact that people are asking suggests that they don't actually know it and would like the correct information (which for some reason you're reluctant to even see.) I'm glad we had this chat to share our feelings.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
What bothers me is that you take your experience with a dealer that didn't get the memo and go around telling people that's the way things should be, refusing to acknowledge reality that the dealer screwed up if they led you to believe it was a mistake that Ford would pay for. But it doesn't bother me all that much and I wouldn't even care if you'd simply share your experience and stop calling me out. You may think everyone knows that this isn't something Ford will pay for, but you seem to have problems understanding it yourself, and the fact that people are asking suggests that they don't actually know it and would like the correct information (which for some reason you're reluctant to even see.) I'm glad we had this chat to share our feelings.
I don't really care if Ford or the Dealership pays for the parts? Why do you?

The "correct information" (your words) is the only party involved that shouldn't pay, after the sale, is the customer. They already paid for 6.

Speaking of your words.... go back and look at the posts you made in this thread... you agree not having all the tie downs is "idiotic" and "really stupid" and "affects the utility of the vehicle".

That's weird. Which 4 do you have?
When I picked up my truck in August (July build) it only had four, it was missing the two middle ones. I pointed out that all of the other Rangers on the lot had six so I thought mine was missing two. They just grabbed two off another truck and put them in mine and said they'd order a couple in for the other truck.
That's idiotic, I use the middle ones the most
I'll say it again, that is really stupid
I have to agree. Almost as stupid as the missing trim around the ignition key.
I have the front and middle. The "missing" ones would be on either side of the tailgate.
That's even weirder...so they're skipping random ones? :eek:

At least you don't have 3 on one side and one on the other side. I guess it should be easy to add them, while cursing the way ford decided to save a buck?
1) I don't have an ignition key :turkey:
2) a trim ring isn't a functional item, a missing tie-down actually affects the utility of the vehicle

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Status
Not open for further replies.