Ranger Gets Ford Performance Parts Leveling Kits with Coil-overs & Fox Shocks

berlow94

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 1987 BMW 325IS Track car, 1979 Mazda RX7
The Ford Performance leveling kit replaces the rear shocks as well. But are those shocks any different that the Fox shocks in the FX-4 package? It seems like I'm being asked to replace perfectly good shocks.
The rear shocks are the same as the stock shocks dimensionally except for maybe a 1" longer overall stroke (giving you the ability to raise the rear if you wanted to). I can assure you that your stock FX4 shocks are not perfectly fine... My truck had 1,200 highway miles on it when i put the Fox kit on and the damper's were low on pressure and were already cavitating with air. Rebound damping was inconsistent making the truck uncontrollable over consecutive bumps.

The Ford Performance Fox shocks are tuned differently than the standard Fox 2.0 shocks that are available through all of the aftermarket vendors. The only way to get the "special" Ford Performance tune is by purchasing them through a Ford Performance dealer.
Sponsored

Chattownranger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
So yesterday I called my ford dealer that I bought my ranger from last week to inquire about the ford performance leveling kit. They seemed very confused that such a part even existed and offered me the build packages that come with the light bar and all that jazz for like 9 grand. She said they aren’t a ford performance parts dealer so pretty much couldn’t help me.
So I went ahead and ordered it online from Levittown. My question is mainly about the warranty. The lady I spoke with couldn’t answer any of my questions so I gave up trying to get anywhere with her.
Where are you all having this installed in order to retain the factory warranty? I was planning to have the dealer do the work but I’m not sure that’s my best option. I would install it myself if it weren’t for the warranty bit. I am an industrial mechanic by trade so have no problem with the work. Just don’t want to void the warranty. Thanks in advance!

berlow94

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 1987 BMW 325IS Track car, 1979 Mazda RX7
Has anyone noticed that after leveling their truck with FX4 package the inclinometer is now off?
With the truck on level ground it now reads that the truck is 1 degree nose high.

Any way to reset that gauge for how the truck sits after leveling?

Tesseract

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Ranger XLT S-crew FX4
Does the FP Fox kit have to be installed by a dealer or will any ASE Tech be ok? The warranty doc on the Ford Performance site seems to indicate that the new vehicle warranty stays intact as long as its done by an ASE tech. Am I wrong there?

Chattownranger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
Does the FP Fox kit have to be installed by a dealer or will any ASE Tech be ok? The warranty doc on the Ford Performance site seems to indicate that the new vehicle warranty stays intact as long as its done by an ASE tech. Am I wrong there?
I would call your dealer and confirm. That’s what I did and they sent me to an offroad shop about 30 min away as that is there aftermarket installer I assume? I know they didn’t want any part of installing or ordering the parts for me. Cost me 500 bucks to have installed. 60 more to mount and balance new tires.

Tesseract

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would call your dealer and confirm. That’s what I did and they sent me to an offroad shop about 30 min away as that is there aftermarket installer I assume? I know they didn’t want any part of installing or ordering the parts for me. Cost me 500 bucks to have installed. 60 more to mount and balance new tires.
Thanks, I may do that. I have the Icon Stage 1 coilovers on the truck now and its definitely way better than stock. I was considering switching to the Ford Fox kits just to maintain warranty, but I'm probably just paying more money to get a slightly worse shock setup. What are the chances that Ford will deny any warranty work to the car because of aftermarket coilovers? Probably pretty low.
I should just keep the Icons on the car and take my chances.

Chattownranger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
Thanks, I may do that. I have the Icon Stage 1 coilovers on the truck now and its definitely way better than stock. I was considering switching to the Ford Fox kits just to maintain warranty, but I'm probably just paying more money to get a slightly worse shock setup. What are the chances that Ford will deny any warranty work to the car because of aftermarket coilovers? Probably pretty low.
I should just keep the Icons on the car and take my chances.
Well I have not had first hand experience but supposedly no auto manufacturer can legally deny a warranty claim unless there is proof that the aftermarket part caused a failure from what I’ve read. Again, no experience first hand. If you already have icon installed I would leave that. I just don’t foresee an issue with any suspension parts modified or not I think chances are low you’d ever have to deal with the issue.

Tesseract

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I have not had first hand experience but supposedly no auto manufacturer can legally deny a warranty claim unless there is proof that the aftermarket part caused a failure from what I’ve read. Again, no experience first hand. If you already have icon installed I would leave that. I just don’t foresee an issue with any suspension parts modified or not I think chances are low you’d ever have to deal with the issue.
Yeah, I would probably end up paying like $600 to change from Icon to the Ford Fox setup, and if anything broke in the future that they denied, I could probably replace it myself for $600.
Doesn't make sense.

Chattownranger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
Yeah, I would probably end up paying like $600 to change from Icon to the Ford Fox setup, and if anything broke in the future that they denied, I could probably replace it myself for $600.
Doesn't make sense.
Yea I agree. I think I’d leave it as is if I were in your shoes.

younga01

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2018 Ford Edge
Occupation
IT, Meteorology, and Basketball Coaching
I've just read through the entire thread, and I don't see an answer to this.

With these being tuned by Ford, produced by Fox... who would be responsible for rebuilds in the future?

Ford says Fox. The guy I talked with at Fox didn't even know these existed, but was going to try to dig something up, and that was a few days ago. I'm trying to think long term with these too, and second place in my considerations, you can't rebuild, but you also get a slight lift and upgrade in the rear too (Old Man Emu kit from Stage 3). Plus the Aussies apparently love them, so why not.

For the record, 3rd place is the Eibach stage one, I've had good experience with Eibach before.

And forgive me if the above is a rookie question, I'm new to the suspension/lift game. Fox also hasn't impressed me with responsiveness to questions so far. Days to respond to a simple email.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Ranger Leveling Kit Ford Performance Parts 2.jpg

https://media.ford.com/content/ford.../ford-ranger-f150-off-road-leveling-kits.html

FORD RANGER AND F-150 OWNERS GET A LIFT WITH FIRST-EVER FORD PERFORMANCE OFF-ROAD LEVELING KITS WITH TUNED SUSPENSION

September 18, 2019

DEARBORN, Mich., Sept. 18, 2019 – For the first time ever, Ford Performance Parts is offering after-purchase leveling kits for Ford Ranger and Ford F-150 for even better off-road performance and greater vehicle customization.

“Ford Performance Parts developed these kits to make the off-road experience even better for our Ranger and F-150 customers,” said Eric Cin, global director, Ford Vehicle Personalization and Accessories. “Truck customers are asking for options for increased capability and customization, and the new leveling suspension kits for Ranger and F-150 deliver on that need.”

The majority of Ranger and F-150 trucks are purchased with four-wheel drive, and for those who want to go further, the leveling kits will enable off-road explorers to venture into even more challenging terrain. Beyond adding additional ground clearance, off-road performance is improved with Ford truck-optimized FOX™ shocks.

The dealer-installed off-road leveling kits for Ranger and F-150 include:

• New aluminum FOX shock bodies are designed to provide ample cooling capacity over rough terrain
  • New front coilover springs deliver optimal spring rate
  • Vehicle-specific upper front mounts with polyurethane bushings work to help isolate noise and vibration
  • 2-inch front lift levels the truck from front to rear
Ford Performance engineers worked with FOX to develop unique internal valving for the shocks to deliver confident performance and predictable handling both off-road and on the pavement.

With kit installation, both Ranger and F-150 see improvements to front ground clearance, approach and breakover angles, based on internal Ford computer generated engineering simulations. Ranger sees an approximate 21 percent increase in approach angle and a 10 percent increase in breakover angle. F-150 with a 145-inch wheelbase sees an approximate 22 percent increase in approach angle and 7 percent increase in breakover angle.

Development and testing for the leveling kits included high-speed off-roading in Borrego, California, and low-speed rock-crawling in Arizona to optimize for a variety of off-road driving experiences.

“The elevated off-road geometry, paired with Ford Performance tuning, makes this a really unique offering,” said Cin. “The secret sauce to this kit is in the Ford Performance tuning. This suspension and its tuning are designed to improve off-road handling and responsiveness, specifically for Ranger and F-150.”

These new offerings are available through Ford dealers for $1,495 before installation. The kits are designed to be installed at the dealer on any four-wheel-drive 2019 Ranger or four-wheel-drive 2015-19 F-150. Kits come with a Ford Performance Parts limited warranty. See a Ford dealer for details.

Ranger Leveling Kit Ford Performance Parts 1.jpg

Ranger Leveling Kit Ford Performance Parts 3.jpg
Ranger Leveling Kit Ford Performance Parts 4.jpg

Ranger Leveling Kit Ford Performance Parts 2.jpg
I got a XLT with FX4 options, wish I have known this before purchasing. Is there a leveling kit I could use for the FX4 package without replacing the tuned shocks?

jeb134

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I got a XLT with FX4 options, wish I have known this before purchasing. Is there a leveling kit I could use for the FX4 package without replacing the tuned shocks?
You can get a 2” BDS leveling kit with their rear shocks that offer a better ride than stock. If you’re interested I’ll sell you the one off my truck when I swap it out for the Fox 2.0’s whenever the rears finally come in from being back ordered.

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
To anyone who has installed themselves. Were you able to calibrate the adaptive cruise with forscan? And did you require the Ford tool that is listed to pull the ball joint? Read through the entire thread several times and didn’t see it mentioned.

BCRanger

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software
To anyone who had these installed/quoted at dealer... what was the stated labor hours?

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
To anyone who had these installed/quoted at dealer... what was the stated labor hours?
Paid $450. Dealer said they do not discount labor.

Edit: $360 install + $90 alignment = $450 total
( found my invoice )

After reading about so many CV shaft problems here, it was money well spent.

Dealer install also maintains all warranties.
Sponsored

Last edited: