Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Can I hire you for some small Ranger related projects? I ain't asking for no hand out, but some small things I want don't exist.
I'd be happy to help if I can, Jack...I'm learning as I go and finding there are limitations for filament printers...some things are just not practical...also the part needs to be designed properly which is something I haven't started yet...it's one thing to design a car or products but another process altogether for solid modeling which I've never done...

IM me with your idea and we go from there...no promise =)
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be happy to help if I can, Jack...I'm learning as I go and finding there are limitations for filament printers...some things are just not practical...also the part needs to be designed properly which is something I haven't started yet...it's one thing to design a car or products but another process altogether for solid modeling which I've never done...

HI Sid,

When I had Chassis CAE and we transitioned to designing in Solids the modeling was a challenge to create the FEA mesh. It was an iterative process. We did get it but this was the downfall of PDGS which found itself on hard times during the transition. PDGS was the Ford in house design software. Had a designer that left to pursue a job teaching PDGS only to find he got left in the start blocks. Good Guy but I could not save him...Always had a soft spot in my heart for him as he was quite talented. Now as I understand it, we use Catia. Solidworks tried to make inroads but fell short as I understand it....

Best,
Phil

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor

Any limitations will be due to the printer. Ender makes a great introductory printer, its only limitation is size (as is with all printers) and a single extruder. Once you get into dual extrusion and the ability to print with PVA (dissolvable material) or breakaway material then the sky is the limit on what you can create.

Size isn't really a limitation if you learn to design with adjoining parts and can either solvent weld or use products like PlasticWeld.

Also pay attention to your nozzle size and thin walls. It's a good idea to print thin walls with a multiple of your nozzle size, you'll get a stronger part and quicker prints. Example; 0.4 nozzle I'd go with a 1.2mm or 1.6mm wall over a 1.4.mm. Lots of tips and tricks out there. Additive manufacturing also has its plus sides when designing as you can ignore release points and draft angles that would normally be required for injected molded parts.

Size really isn't an issue. 1/5 scale Mazda replica I did for my nephew.

DSC_3111.JPG

DSC_3121.JPG

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
HI Sid,

When I had Chassis CAE and we transitioned to designing in Solids the modeling was a challenge to create the FEA mesh. It was an iterative process. We did get it but this was the downfall of PDGS which found itself on hard times during the transition. PDGS was the Ford in house design software. Had a designer that left to pursue a job teaching PDGS only to find he got left in the start blocks. Good Guy but I could not save him...Always had a soft spot in my heart for him as he was quite talented. Now as I understand it, we use Catia. Solidworks tried to make inroads but fell short as I understand it....

Best,
Phil
I remember that old software...Catia is the standard for engineers today...we designers as well as digital sculptors use Alias Automotive Studio...

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Any limitations will be due to the printer. Ender makes a great introductory printer, its only limitation is size (as is with all printers) and a single extruder. Once you get into dual extrusion and the ability to print with PVA (dissolvable material) or breakaway material then the sky is the limit on what you can create.

Size isn't really a limitation if you learn to design with adjoining parts and can either solvent weld or use products like PlasticWeld.

Also pay attention to your nozzle size and thin walls. It's a good idea to print thin walls with a multiple of your nozzle size, you'll get a stronger part and quicker prints. Example; 0.4 nozzle I'd go with a 1.2mm or 1.6mm wall over a 1.4.mm. Lots of tips and tricks out there. Additive manufacturing also has its plus sides when designing as you can ignore release points and draft angles that would normally be required for injected molded parts.

Size really isn't an issue. 1/5 scale Mazda replica I did for my nephew.

DSC_3111.JPG

DSC_3121.JPG
That is impressive! Is that 1/5 gas? How long did it take to print something like this?

Reactions: Doc

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
That is impressive! Is that 1/5 gas? How long did it take to print something like this?
It's 8S electric. The front lights and brake lights are functional. Also put a DJI camera in the drivers helmet for FPV driving with goggles. There are also two OLED screens in the hood scoop that display MPH, RPM, Braking, and Battery Levels.

I don't remember the exact print times but it was close to 10 days of printing.

Its a shelf queen now. He doesn't like to drive it since he doesn't want to destroy it. So I built him a 1/5 scale trophy truck with FPV instead. He beats the hell out of that thing though.

Iowa Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion SE, 2021 XL Ranger Supercab STX 4x4
Occupation
Automotive Tooling Engineer
HI Sid,

Best,
Phil
Phil, yep Ford designs in Catia now

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Finally...got a new toy...Ender 3 S1...very precise printer for the price...

IMG_7754.JPG
I've got a Prusa i3 Mk3 kit waiting for me to build...unfortunately, no raining days ....yet....:crackup:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
It's 8S electric. The front lights and brake lights are functional. Also put a DJI camera in the drivers helmet for FPV driving with goggles. There are also two OLED screens in the hood scoop that display MPH, RPM, Braking, and Battery Levels.

I don't remember the exact print times but it was close to 10 days of printing.

Its a shelf queen now. He doesn't like to drive it since he doesn't want to destroy it. So I built him a 1/5 scale trophy truck with FPV instead. He beats the hell out of that thing though.
That's pretty cool. How big is it? I remember wanting a one of these in a gas RC car back in the late 80's. Not an import guy I just liked it.

nissan.jpg

mailbox4449

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure yet
Since XLT gets the cheap mirror without a turn repeater...here's a solution I assembled today...?

Nilite 3.5" LED Amber strips fits nicely into the channel inside the trim...there's a hidden 10mm flat surface...application of adhesion promoter and the included 3M VHB tape, this will not go anywhere...almost like it was made for this idea...I'm intending this to be a dedicated turn/hazard lamp so to the blind spot vehicle, this will be a vivid surprise/warning...

IMG_7550.JPG

Test power and fit prior to permanent adhesive bond...

IMG_7549.JPG

Flip the turn signal and...ooo happy therapy...mmmm...Dopamine...?

IMG_7551.JPG

IMG_7552.JPG

IMG_7553.JPG

Can't wait to see them in action tonight...I'll add MOV later...
I know this was a while ago, but did you just tap into the blinkers on each side? And since these are LEDs, did use any resistors to avoid any hyper signalling? Thanks in advance for answering an older thread ;)

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I know this was a while ago, but did you just tap into the blinkers on each side? And since these are LEDs, did use any resistors to avoid any hyper signalling? Thanks in advance for answering an older thread ;)
Yes and yes...I have DD amber led turn bulbs so the resistors were necessary....these side repeaters are wired to the turn signals...

OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your comment...as to your question...the usual must have like level/lift/big tires/wheels etc are the "expected" to give the Ranger the necessary muscle stance...I guess my favorites would have to be the one offs that are unique to my truck...ready for a photo dump??

Mounting antennas on the ditch bracket...
IMG_7659.JPG

Hidden side turn lights...
IMG_7552.JPG

Low rise mount on Diamondback cover...
IMG_7558.JPG

Custom slider lights...
IMG_7503.JPG

Custom under hood LED lighting...
296 - K3KPAzB.jpg

Tremor graphics on Raptor grill on FX4...wait...what? ?
Untitled-1.jpg

Space shuttle interior gizmos...
IMG_7696.JPG

IMG_7697.JPG

Internal blind spot mirrors...
IMG_7704.JPG

UFO lighting...
374 - E2yl8nq.jpg

Custom decals and Safari mud flaps...
IMG_7487.JPG

And not the least...rear chase light bar with turn/brake functions...

@Ranger Lariat why the sad reaction?

Reactions: Doc
OP
OP
Msfitoy

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)