project downsize

Illking

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XL
I'll start by telling a bit about myself and the needs for our build. We are coming from a 4x4 e250 Sportsmobile, it was my dream rig and served us well. Before that we had a 4x4 1976 Chevy van that really got us into camping. Big life changes happened all at once from starting a family, the pandemic, an extremely busy work load and buying our first home. Since we weren’t getting the Sportsmobile out at all and the seating wasn’t very friendly to car seats I decided to sell it and focus on our home and family for a few years. Now we are starting over and going to see what camping looks like for us again with a toddler. I need a truck for house projects, a reliable cruiser for commuting to work and decided although we’ve been spoiled with our camper van it will be nice to reconnect to camping but still have the luxuries of car camping.

DV_Thanks_01.mov-low.gif

The truck idea started back in oct when I decided not to fulfill my Bronco reservation and place an order on a Ranger, I knew id have to wait but 5 months seemed a lot better than 1+ years also I like the flexibility and utility a truck offers. The thing about waiting 5 months to take delivery is you have lots of time to gather parts, which in some cases is needed due to supply chain issues.

The truck
We went with a mostly base 4x4 4dr white XL. The only options we added were 101a, 360 and an e-locker.

The pile of parts
Eiback pro, 528 fab winch mount, RC9.5 synthetic winch, Softtopper (tan), bedrug mat, covercraft seat covers, Husky floor mats.

Future plans
rock sliders, lighting, wolfhaus powerport, builtright bed racks, electric cooler and power supply

I still need to decide on a set of tires, i'm leaning towards 285/75R16 to wrap up the steelies but I think this should get us rolling. Thinking gazelle tent for family trips, sleeping pad in the bed for solo trips and if we get into camping like we were before might need to get a GFC but ill let our needs dictate that.

Its been super fun reading all the build journals, and other forum posts here and extremely helpful in both preparing for my new truck and passing the time while obsessively checking the ford tracker site so thanks to all the members and contributors here.

Heres a photoshop mock up of how it sits in my head while I wait for the exciting call from the dealership to tell me its here. In short my goal is to build a simple but capable rig on a budget and have fun!

IMG_4440.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
You might want to check out @RoadBoss YouTube channel "Travis J Avery 4WD"; he took a very similar approach to setting his truck up and it seems to be really working for him given the type of adventures he gets into with it.

OP
OP
Illking

Illking

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XL
You might want to check out @RoadBoss YouTube channel "Travis J Avery 4WD"; he took a very similar approach to setting his truck up and it seems to be really working for him given the type of adventures he gets into with it.

Travis's Truck has been a big inspiration and it's been really helpfull seeing his youtube channel.

OP
OP
Illking

Illking

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XL
well first things first, with a toddler and a dog i decided it was a must to protect the interior before anyone other than myself farts in the new truck. Our dog destroyed my wifes subaru center console by standing on it so im real happy that covercraft includes protection for that. as soon as I got it home i double bagged the rear seats with covercraft endura seat covers and an amazon dog cover to go over that. stoked to have gained another seatback pocket. after i felt good about that i installed the car seat, the front seat covers and threw down some husky floor mats even though I have rubber XL floors. gonna put together a kit of wipes, snacks and hand sanitizer and my "recovery gear" for preschool drop-offs should be good.

IMG_4687.jpg

IMG_4688.jpg

IMG_4689.jpg

Last edited:

OP
OP
Illking

Illking

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XL
quick update. My 2.5 yr old seems to really like the truck, she keeps saying "more fast, more bumpy!" cant wait to get some tires and my lift kit installed and take her on her first off road adventure.

OP
OP
Illking

Illking

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XL
super torn on what tire to go with. keeping my steelies. swinging between 285/75/16 wildpeak or 265/75-16 coopers what do you all think?

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hey John, @RoadBoss was the first person I thought of when I saw that mock-up. ?

I'll start by telling a bit about myself and the needs for our build. We are coming from a 4x4 e250 Sportsmobile, it was my dream rig and served us well. Before that we had a 4x4 1976 Chevy van that really got us into camping. Big life changes happened all at once from starting a family…..
Jason, you’re going to have so much fun putting this all together and it looks like you’re off to a good start.

Hopefully, you’ll have as much fun making great family memories camping with your Ranger - and with so many places close to LA County, it’s bound to be great.

Enjoy!

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
super torn on what tire to go with. keeping my steelies. swinging between 285/75/16 wildpeak or 265/75-16 coopers what do you all think?
My only concern is that the 285 would be a touch too wide for the stock steelies? have you thought about 255/85r16 ?

OP
OP
Illking

Illking

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XL
My only concern is that the 285 would be a touch too wide for the stock steelies? have you thought about 255/85r16 ?
thanks Travis. yah my buddy told me 285 would be too wide, Ill look into that 255/85r16 i think I saw a few other running 285s on steelies on the forum here so thats where i got the idea.,

OP
OP
Illking

Illking

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XL
today i put up the softtopper and layed down the bedrug on my lunch hour. couldn't have been easier and stoked on how its coming together. gotta decide on some tires soon and then i can get the lift, tires and winch installed. as far as the bed goes im thinking of redeeming some fordpass points for a pivoting storage box and maybe a builtright rack on the other side and running a wolfhaus bed power kit.
IMG_5021.jpg

IMG_5018.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Illking

Illking

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XL
It’s hard to even muster the energy to post this update after the epic install and time spent putting away tools. But today I got a few key parts on the rig. No instructions included so if anyone needs help with installs PM me :giggle: “The stubby” and center console organizer
image.jpg
image.jpg

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
It’s hard to even muster the energy to post this update after the epic install and time spent putting away tools. But today I got a few key parts on the rig. No instructions included so if anyone needs help with installs PM me :giggle: “The stubby” and center console organizer
image.jpg
image.jpg
ooh busy day with those 2 projects. time to relax with a step 2.

i'd go with the 265/75-16 coopers but that's just me and my plan when I finally give up on these stock tires- most likely before winter comes around again.

BTW love the simple setups of yours and Travis's
Sponsored