First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT/FX4/Sport
Occupation
Firefighter
One more new guy question. Reading the manual for my new truck (hit 150 miles today) I see that Ford recommends premium fuel for hard use, etc. When I’m driving in 85 degree heat, I’m feeling a bit of rumbling that reminds me of an old Miata running on the knock sensor. I still have 3/4 of the dealer’s full tank of regular unleaded, but intend to fill with 93 octane when it gets to 1/2 tank., just to see if there is any difference. Has anyone else experienced this?
I have almost 17k on my ranger now. I have tried running 87 octane in my truck and I averaged 22 mpg. For the last several months I have ran 93 octane. I average around 25 to 26 mpg and feel that the response is better with the truck. For the small price difference I will always run the 93 octane now. Truck performs better off roading and better all around.
Sponsored

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Transit bus mechanic, former Ford master tech
Vehicle Showcase
You answered your own question. The pcm will add timing til knock is detected. once knock is detected it starts pulling timing. With the higher octane of the ethanol. And the chemical cooling of the ethanol. The knock threshold will be higher to begin with.
you are assuming that the stock fuel injectors can supply enough fuel. 2nd its not spark knock that is dangerous to turbo engines its detonation that causes the damage which has nothing to do with spark timing. the stock fuel system will keep the 14.7:1 to get more power out of E85 it would have to be close to 7:1 and without changing the HP pump and Injectors it will run lean and burn a piston. Ask anyone that has a car or truck that can run E85 how it runs on it, not any better. So without major modifications to the fuel system it will run better in regular gas

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
you are assuming that the stock fuel injectors can supply enough fuel. 2nd its not spark knock that is dangerous to turbo engines its detonation that causes the damage which has nothing to do with spark timing. the stock fuel system will keep the 14.7:1 to get more power out of E85 it would have to be close to 7:1 and without changing the HP pump and Injectors it will run lean and burn a piston. Ask anyone that has a car or truck that can run E85 how it runs on it, not any better. So without major modifications to the fuel system it will run better in regular gas
You like most commenting. Are stuck on your thinking e85. (85% ethanol)I will say this on last time. Adding 1 gallon of e85 to 87 octane Gasoline does NOT turn the entire mix to 85% Ethanol. I don’t know why this is so hard to understand. everyone assumes the stock pump and fuel injectors will max out from a gallon or two of e85 mixed in with 87. But that same system pump and injectors will handle an additional 50 horsepower. thru Fords power pack tune. Either the stock system is maxed out or it’s not! I’m going with Not because you don’t make an additional 50hp/50 tq. Without adding fuel and air! moving on. When detonation is detected by the knock sensors. What will the PCM do?.........it’ll cut timing and chopS fuel to safe the engine. Did any of you even watch the video I posted? It’s the most scientific explanation. Of what I’m talking about you can possibly find. Yet everyone has ignored it! The video used real world fuels. and explained the the damage different fuels have on engine parts. Like I said. I’m not going anywhere. So get your bets in now! 3 to 1 odds is a money maker for all of you by the book/scared of anything out of your little comfort zone forum warriors. If my engine blows in the next year. I will happily eat crow and report it right in this thread! But next year at this time. You all will say. Gee I guess you got lucky. I don’t understand how you got so lucky. And I’ll reply that’s right you don’t understand. And we can go round and round for another 14 pages!

Last edited:

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Transit bus mechanic, former Ford master tech
Vehicle Showcase
You like most commenting. Are stuck on your thinking e85. (85% ethanol)I will say this on last time. Adding 1 gallon of e85 to 87 octane Gasoline does NOT turn the entire mix to 85% Ethanol. I don’t know why this is so hard to understand. everyone assumes the stock pump and fuel injectors will max out from a gallon or two of e85 mixed in with 87. But that same system pump and injectors will handle an additional 50 horsepower. thru Fords power pack tune. Either the stock system is maxed out or it’s not! I’m going with Not because you don’t make an additional 50hp/50 tq. Without adding fuel and air! moving on. When detonation is detected by the knock sensors. What will the PCM do?.........it’ll cut timing and chopS fuel to safe the engine. Did any of you even watch the video I posted? It’s the most scientific explanation. Of what I’m talking about you can possibly find. Yet everyone has ignored it! The video used real world fuels. and explained the the damage different fuels have on engine parts. Like I said. I’m not going anywhere. So get your bets in now! 3 to 1 odds is a money maker for all of you by the book/scared of anything out of your little comfort zone forum warriors. If my engine blows in the next year. I will happily eat crow and report it right in this thread! But next year at this time. You all will say. Gee I guess you got lucky. I don’t understand how you got so lucky. And I’ll reply that’s right you don’t understand. And we can go round and round for another 14 pages!
and I will tell you again there are less BTU's in ethanol so there is NO way it will make your truck run better, sorry bud

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There is an old saying....when you find yourself in a hole..the first thing is to stop digging.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Gee, reading threads on which grade of fuel to use is almost as much fun as threads talking about which motor oil to use or what size tires would be best.

I'm out of this thread...

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
There is an old saying....when you find yourself in a hole..the first thing is to stop digging.
Honestly Phil it makes me want to get this old tool out just to use on this guy but I have a feeling it wont do much good.

3750.jpeg

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
This thread:
OP: Manual says to do A or B. Which should I do?
Commenter: C! Pick C!
Sane people (including an actual automotive engineer): Don't pick C. The manual explicitly says not to do C lest you cause damage.
Commenter: So? Pick C!

FordFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4 Ranger, 2022 Sonata Limited
Occupation
Engineer
I'm at 145 miles on mine now, and averaging 25mpg with the dealer fuel in it. I have a 33 mile commute to and from work. It's better than my 20.1 mpg F-150, so I'm happy. I'll be running Premium. 91 octane in Colorado due to altitude.

Last edited:

Bluebeastsrt

First Name
Big D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger 4X4
No comments at all on the video I posted for the second time. NOTHING! The same guys that are calling me stupid for putting one gallon of ethnol in my tank. Probably ran right out and voided their warranty with an after market tune. Show of hands. How many of you cool /follow the owners manual guys did that? Cause I don't want to hear any crying when your engine blows and ford voids your warranty. How are you gonna handle that? Come on and own up. How many of you guys are tuned. Or running a peddle comander or other shit that your trusting your engine to? And then explain to me how its different. Isnt that after market tune over working the poor taxed out fuel system these rangers have? I mean the system is so weak it can't handle an e15 or e20 blend. And the PCMs are soooo stupid they cant adjust to one gallon of ethnol. When gasoline here in New Jersey is already 10 to 15% ethanol. How is this weak ass fuel system going to handle a tune? Can't wait to be talked down to about how tunes are 100% safe. But a f$%king gallon of e85 is an engine grenade.

Last edited:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
If free market economics were followed there would be no ethanol sold at the gas pumps - it's totally a non competitive fuel, highly subsided.
Sponsored