wildstar78

wildstar78

First Name
Chandler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Moderator in training? This is called discussing stuff... that's what we do here, rookie.

Get much snow there today?
Yeah so I'll finally say something. It sucks for me because everytime I get a notification that someone has commented on my thread I get all excited thinking someone is helping me, and I open it up to see you guys fighting like jerks. You wanna discuss stuff? Fine open your own thread. But it's bullshit to take over a thread about stupid stuff when all you wanna do is puff your chest and fight over stupid crap. I hope you are never worried there's something really wrong with your truck, that you have to wait freaking 15 days to get it serviced, so you try to come here to get some help, only to have post after post of inane conversations. It's soooo much fun. I wish I never posted geez. Just stop please, if i was your daughter or sister you'd want someone to help or at least offer suggestions.
Sponsored

OP
OP
wildstar78

wildstar78

First Name
Chandler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That does not look to be the radar unit, that appears to be either your radiator or intercooler (I can't quite tell which).

I did this capture from the Ford build site showing where the radar unit is - right in the middle of the lower opening. That is what I'm guessing is dirty:

1612995882004.png
Thank you I'm gonna try to go scrub the crap out of it, I hope it helps

OP
OP
wildstar78

wildstar78

First Name
Chandler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing I have found is the radar unit is very sensitive to dirt. I got the collision warning after driving on some muddy roads. I tried to clean it off and still got it, so cleaned it more completely and they all went away. Just like the parking sensors dirt or ice can mess them up and give false warnings or errors.
Thank you I'm gonna try that

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah so I'll finally say something. It sucks for me because everytime I get a notification that someone has commented on my thread I get all excited thinking someone is helping me, and I open it up to see you guys fighting like jerks. You wanna discuss stuff? Fine open your own thread. But it's bullshit to take over a thread about stupid stuff when all you wanna do is puff your chest and fight over stupid crap. I hope you are never worried there's something really wrong with your truck, that you have to wait freaking 15 days to get it serviced, so you try to come here to get some help, only to have post after post of inane conversations. It's soooo much fun. I wish I never posted geez. Just stop please, if i was your daughter or sister you'd want someone to help or at least offer suggestions.
Hi Chandler,

Most of us here are trying to help. There is an ignore button that might be useful to block out folks. If you feel you have received no help from a non value member...just ignore them. From the sensors, there are connectors in an overlay harness that runs along the bottom of the valance and then a conector the the main wiring harness that then becomes the huge connector behind the left headlight. Take time to push in these connectors to ensure tight connections. Rob's suggestion to clean off the front radar sensor is certainly also a great suggestion. Trying to fix this yourself is admirable and understandable with this dealer back log.

Ignore the crap and keep posting....we are here to help as much as we can and the vast pool of resources does pretty much help solve problems, but there are just those times when there is a complete miss. I have been out of Ranger for 18 years now and it shows in specific maladies that are beyond my knowledge of the 5G truck but I find others are able to step in and help!

Check the front camera area of the windshield too Wipers do not sweep this area.

Here is some more info from the Ford Owner's website

Collision warning with brake support

Your vehicle has been designed with a feature that can help alert you if it senses a potential collision with the car in front of you.* This system uses sensors in the front of your car to detect slower vehicles traveling in the same direction, and warn you if you’re rapidly approaching. If this happens, a row of red lights on your windshield will flash, and you’ll hear an alarm.
If you don’t react and continue to get closer to the other vehicle, your car will pre-charge and increase brake assist sensitivity to provide full responsiveness when you brake, which may help you avoid an accident. Once your brakes have been pre-charged, even if you press them lightly, they’ll automatically apply a harder force to stop you quickly.
* This system is designed to be a supplementary driving aid. It is not intended to replace the driver’s attention, and judgment, or the need to apply the brakes. This system does NOT activate the brakes automatically. Failure to press the brake pedal to activate the brakes may result in a collision.

Warning system sensitivity

You can change the sensitivity on the warning system to one of three settings, by using the five-way control on your steering wheel:*
  • Scroll to Driver Assist > Collision Warning > Sensitivity
  • Select either High, Normal or Low
The most sensitive setting will detect stationary objects near your vehicle, while a lower setting may lead to fewer and later warnings.
* If collision warnings are perceived as being too frequent or disturbing then the warning sensitivity can be reduced, though the manufacturer recommends using the highest sensitivity setting where possible. Setting lower sensitivity would lead to fewer and later system warnings.

Blocked sensors

If a “blocked sensor” message appears in your vehicle’s information display, radar signals from the sensor have been obstructed.* When this issue occurs, vehicles in front of you can’t be detected, and the collision warning system won’t function.
Here are some possible causes for this message and suggested actions to restore warning system functionality:
CauseAction
The surface of the radar in the grille is dirty or obstructed in some wayClean the grille surface in front of the radar, or remove the object causing the obstruction
The surface of the radar in the grille is clean, but the message remains in the displayWait a short time. It may take several minutes for the radar to detect that it is no longer obstructed
Heavy rain, spray, snow, or fog is interfering with the radar signalsThe collision warning system is temporarily disabled. Collision warning should automatically reactivate a short time after weather conditions improve
Swirling water, or snow or ice on the surface of the road may interfere with the radar signalsThe collision warning system is temporarily disabled. Collision warning should automatically reactivate a short time after weather conditions improve
*Sensors are located behind a fascia cover near the driver side of the lower grille.

Warning system exceptions

Due to the nature of radar technology, there may be certain circumstances in which your vehicle won’t provide a collision warning. These include:
  • Stationary vehicles or vehicles moving below 6 mph (10 km/h).
  • Pedestrians or objects in the roadway.
  • Oncoming vehicles in the same lane.
  • Severe weather conditions. (See "Blocked Sensors" section above.)
  • Debris build-up on the grille near the headlamps. (See "Blocked Sensors" section above.)
  • Small distance to vehicle ahead.
  • Steering wheel and pedal movements are large, i.e., very active driving style.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
this is at the back of his radar unit....the lines arent lined up...is that normal? is that an adjustment screw?

1613002466644.png
I'm not sure what that is, but mine looks similar to this except mine has an X on the "dial" (instead of just a line). Neither of mine are lined up with the vertical blue lines.

OP
OP
wildstar78

wildstar78

First Name
Chandler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sorry for engaging with him. I should know by now it isn't worth it.
Anyways, I apologize for helping derail your thread and hope you get your truck fixed.
No its ok I get it! It was weird comments from that guy. Its just that I lost my job and I'm driving around trying to find a new one and I wish my truck didn't keep flashing at me all these problems blah. But yeah ill keep you guys posted, I tried to clean it really well, and any thing that looked like it clamped together I wiggled it to make sure it was tight. if that doesn't fix it, I'll let you guys know what the dealership says on 25th, hopefully something silly and/or covered under warranty. It's a 2019 and only 3500 miles

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
So I got on my hands and knees to see if there was anything obstructing the sensor and I found this weird foam strip hanging on both sides. It looks like the glue is no longer holding it in place. I'm wondering if that started the whole ordeal?

20210210_094444.jpg

20210210_094439.jpg
We have pre-collision on our XL and regular cruise cpntrol, but none of the other technology such as lane change assist, curve control, adaptive cruise control, etc.

Our Ranger has no sensors in the grill opening.

The only sensor used by the pre-collision, on our xl, is the camera behind the rear view mirror.

Therefore it seems logical that the sensors in the opening in the grille are not for the pre collision.

000.JPG
001.JPG

OP
OP
wildstar78

wildstar78

First Name
Chandler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: as of today I'm still waiting for Vancouver Ford here in Vancouver WA to call me to let me know when to bring the truck back to get fixed. Took it in on 2/24 and they said the chip failed and had to order the part, under warranty and no cost to me so I was happy. But when I called 3/3 to ask for a status update, they said they would get back with me. I'm guessing the chip is on backorder, im trying to keep my spirits up but I sure do miss my Cruise control. Hopefully I'll get it fixed this month ??

Reactions: EJH

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Update: as of today I'm still waiting for Vancouver Ford here in Vancouver WA to call me to let me know when to bring the truck back to get fixed. Took it in on 2/24 and they said the chip failed and had to order the part, under warranty and no cost to me so I was happy. But when I called 3/3 to ask for a status update, they said they would get back with me. I'm guessing the chip is on backorder, im trying to keep my spirits up but I sure do miss my Cruise control. Hopefully I'll get it fixed this month ??
Oof. Parts shortages suck. Sounds like they will take care of the problem, so at least there's that. Hope the part comes in soon.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know if this helps or not, but when I worked on radar cruise with a failed sensor, you could press and hold the cruise main switch 5 seconds and it turned off radar and it became a regular cruise control and worked. But that was other than Ford.
When I read your post the first I thought was one of the revolving scrubbers snagged the radar sensor and knocked it off alignment.
These have to be dialed in with a target to look at. It's very time consuming and the dealer could be giving you the brush off for now.
BTW, the lines are for reference when dialed in.

JCMAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, Sport Pack
Occupation
Retired Systems Analyst
I’m in NE Pa and it’s cold! Every time I go through the car wash by the time I get home one of my front parking sensors is going off. I’m assuming it’s ice/frozen related. “Usually” it’s corrected by the next day….usually.
That is exactly what is happening to me. I live in Ottawa Canada so it gets cold here too. Had to have a front parking sensor replaced which restored operation of the the parking system but this other event still occurs after the new sensor was installed. The parking system display shows it as a front driver side obstacle. Anyone know what is happening, which connector to re-seat?

JCMAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Systems Analyst
Hi Chandler,

Ford has a test called the car wash test. The vehicle must pass this test with on problems, Body, Chassis or Electrical. You vehicle exhibits a problem that the dealer must resolve...this should have never happened. We do not produce vehicles and have the customer id problems...Something is wrong. There is an electrical connector not properly seated that needs to be addressed. If I had to guess, it is the huge electrical connector behind the left headlight. There was a recall on the frame connector but it does not match your symptoms. I diagnosed and fixed mine when I found the connector behind the left headlight. I got one hand in the area and was able to tug and pull and got a resounding "click"....no problems with the sensors in the front after this.

This cannot be a rookie error....there cannot be these kind of rookie errors...Driving errors...parking errors...sure, Car Wash errors, no way!

Sad you had this experience..

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
1705344898507.jpeg

Phil, is this the connector you are referring to that you re-seated?

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
That is exactly what is happening to me. I live in Ottawa Canada so it gets cold here too. Had to have a front parking sensor replaced which restored operation of the the parking system but this other event still occurs after the new sensor was installed. The parking system display shows it as a front driver side obstacle. Anyone know what is happening, which connector to re-seat?
I get that too when it gets cold enough. The sensors aren't obstructed, but whenever I start to brake (especially at a traffic light), they start going off. The truck's in the shop for an unrelated issue, so I asked them to have a look while they've got it on the lift, that way I don't have to crawl around on the frozen driveway. I'll let you know what they say.

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
You should be looking for C145 (Inline Connector)

The Front Parking sensors are wired
Both Inner (Left/Right) - Share the same circuit
Both Outer (Left/Right) - Share the same circuit

Both circuits pass through the Inline Connector C145

You may want to ensure all 4 sensors are CLEAN, any frost/ice/snow or even wax will possibly fault the sensor.

It should be throwing a code, what code is it triggering?

C145.jpg

JCMAC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Systems Analyst
You should be looking for C145 (Inline Connector)

The Front Parking sensors are wired
Both Inner (Left/Right) - Share the same circuit
Both Outer (Left/Right) - Share the same circuit

Both circuits pass through the Inline Connector C145

You may want to ensure all 4 sensors are CLEAN, any frost/ice/snow or even wax will possibly fault the sensor.

It should be throwing a code, what code is it triggering?

C145.jpg
Would you be willing to share a picture of the connector and where it is located so that I can find it please. All 4 sensors were wiped dry after the car wash. Thanks!
Sponsored