Pre Collision error after going thru car wash

wildstar78

First Name
Chandler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
Went thru an automatic car wash today and they clamped my wheels before I put it in neutral, and the truck rocked a little, then going thru the wash my collision detector started going crazy. Soooo has this happened to anyone? I attached a video, after the car wash, my Hill Assist is off and
Pre collision is off which means my Cruise control won't work. Earliest dealer can get me in is Feb 24th which sucks, but its drivable . Could I buy a scanner and clear the codes myself or no? I have the ford performance tune so im wondering if I should flash it back to stock before i take it in.. Anyone had this happen? I'm worried i hurt my truck with a rookie error in the carwash and I feel bad
I hope they can just reset it.
Sponsored

Attachments

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Maybe water got into someplace it shouldnt be?
Was it a car wash with the big scrubbers that touch your car? Maybe the scrubbers damaged the ACC radar?

OP
OP
wildstar78

wildstar78

First Name
Chandler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe water got into someplace it shouldnt be?
Was it a car wash with the big scrubbers that touch your car? Maybe the scrubbers damaged the ACC radar?
Ohhh i didn't think of that! Yeah it had side scrubbers and scrubbers that when up and down the car longways

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Went thru an automatic car wash today and they clamped my wheels before I put it in neutral, and the truck rocked a little, then going thru the wash my collision detector started going crazy. Soooo has this happened to anyone? I attached a video, after the car wash, my Hill Assist is off and
Pre collision is off which means my Cruise control won't work. Earliest dealer can get me in is Feb 24th which sucks, but its drivable . Could I buy a scanner and clear the codes myself or no? I have the ford performance tune so im wondering if I should flash it back to stock before i take it in.. Anyone had this happen? I'm worried i hurt my truck with a rookie error in the carwash and I feel bad
I hope they can just reset it.
Hi Chandler,

Ford has a test called the car wash test. The vehicle must pass this test with on problems, Body, Chassis or Electrical. You vehicle exhibits a problem that the dealer must resolve...this should have never happened. We do not produce vehicles and have the customer id problems...Something is wrong. There is an electrical connector not properly seated that needs to be addressed. If I had to guess, it is the huge electrical connector behind the left headlight. There was a recall on the frame connector but it does not match your symptoms. I diagnosed and fixed mine when I found the connector behind the left headlight. I got one hand in the area and was able to tug and pull and got a resounding "click"....no problems with the sensors in the front after this.

This cannot be a rookie error....there cannot be these kind of rookie errors...Driving errors...parking errors...sure, Car Wash errors, no way!

Sad you had this experience..

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
wildstar78

wildstar78

First Name
Chandler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Chandler,

Ford has a test called the car wash test. The vehicle must pass this test with on problems, Body, Chassis or Electrical. You vehicle exhibits a problem that the dealer must resolve...this should have never happened. We do not produce vehicles and have the customer id problems...Something is wrong. There is an electrical connector not properly seated that needs to be addressed. If I had to guess, it is the huge electrical connector behind the left headlight. There was a recall on the frame connector but it does not match your symptoms. I diagnosed and fixed mine when I found the connector behind the left headlight. I got one hand in the area and was able to tug and pull and got a resounding "click"....no problems with the sensors in the front after this.

This cannot be a rookie error....there cannot be these kind of rookie errors...Driving errors...parking errors...sure, Car Wash errors, no way!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
There is water moisture inside the left headlight! I bet you're right

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I’m in NE Pa and it’s cold! Every time I go through the car wash by the time I get home one of my front parking sensors is going off. I’m assuming it’s ice/frozen related. “Usually” it’s corrected by the next day….usually.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
One thing I have found is the radar unit is very sensitive to dirt. I got the collision warning after driving on some muddy roads. I tried to clean it off and still got it, so cleaned it more completely and they all went away. Just like the parking sensors dirt or ice can mess them up and give false warnings or errors.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Even when working as designed, pre collision is a nuisance. It distracts the driver right at the moment when the driver needs to be looking out the windshield, not looking at the instrument cluster trying to diagnose wth the truck is doing now.

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
in all honesty, if your eyes were focused front and center to begin with, you'd never need pre-collision.
but because so many twats still text and drive, this is kinda the eyes ahead for them.
granted some twats still wont be able to put two and two together and no amount of pre collision assist or assisted braking will save them, but imho, all it takes is saving the life of one child and the slight annoyances, or the unpolished delivery of the warning, becomes worth it.
I'm calling bullshit. "Saving one child...." That's just the kind of logic being used to take liberty away from folks today.

Invent technology to take driving privileges away from the "twats" .. such as turning off mobile phones if they are moving at more than 5 mph.

OP
OP
wildstar78

wildstar78

First Name
Chandler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Chandler,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
So I got on my hands and knees to see if there was anything obstructing the sensor and I found this weird foam strip hanging on both sides. It looks like the glue is no longer holding it in place. I'm wondering if that started the whole ordeal?

20210210_094444.jpg

20210210_094439.jpg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
So you'd like the "liberty" to freely run down children in the streets?
I have that liberty now, and so do you. I don't exercise it since I am a law abiding citizen.

You are making my point. All that these systems do is enable bad driving habits where people rely on technology instead of their own senses.

And if you rely on these systems in your Ford to prevent you from running over a human, you need to do your research. go to 3:22 here.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Like I said before, you're free to turn yours off. No one is going to stop you.
Thanks, but it would be foolish to turn it off.

In the event there is a collision, and you previously turned it off, the lawyers will be lining up to say the accident could have be prevented.

Such is the nanny state we live in today.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
So I got on my hands and knees to see if there was anything obstructing the sensor and I found this weird foam strip hanging on both sides. It looks like the glue is no longer holding it in place. I'm wondering if that started the whole ordeal?

20210210_094444.jpg

20210210_094439.jpg
That does not look to be the radar unit, that appears to be either your radiator or intercooler (I can't quite tell which).

I did this capture from the Ford build site showing where the radar unit is - right in the middle of the lower opening. That is what I'm guessing is dirty:

1612995882004.png

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
I'm calling bullshit. "Saving one child...." That's just the kind of logic being used to take liberty away from folks today.

Invent technology to take driving privileges away from the "twats" .. such as turning off mobile phones if they are moving at more than 5 mph.
What are you even going on about? Help the OP or move on.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
What are you even going on about? Help the OP or move on.
Moderator in training? This is called discussing stuff... that's what we do here, rookie.

Get much snow there today?
Sponsored