First Name
Juan Miguel Rivera
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I am having the following problem with my Ford Ranger 2019 XLT.

When I stop the car on a climb the car brakes locks up and the signal of Hill Start Assist Not Available comes up.

The brakes keep locked up and then show Up the following messages comes up:

Service Advance Track
Check Brake System
ABS and Brake Light on

After some time the brakes release again and no messages on the screen.

I will really appreciate any support.

Thanks,
Sponsored

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
How steep is the hill? I wonder if the hill start has a maximum angle. Also, is this with ASS active? If so, does it do it when it's disabled?

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Don't intend to hijack, but, the brakes help with hill assist? I didn't really know that was a thing with auto trans?

Never really paid attention.

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have a high end XLT and dont have hill start assist on mine
Isn't hill start assist standard? I have an XLT and my window sticker lists it as standard equipment. Is this something they added between 2019 and 2021?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
All automatics come with hill brake assist...unless you don't have a left foot...?

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
My 2012 had hill assist, and it was noticeable in that when you hit the brake, the transmission seemed to just disengage. Then when on hill, the car seemed to release the brake and engage the transmission when you lifted the foot off the brake. You could feel the brakes release and the tranny engage. I get nothing like this on the Ranger. Feels like an old school brake/tranny.

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Wow, I had no idea. I thought it was only an option for manual transmissions. I have it on my 2016 Mustang GT. If you are stopped on an incline it will hold the brake for a moment when the clutch is depressed. There is an option to disable it though. I don't know why you would need it for an auto transmission?

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Wow, I had no idea. I thought it was only an option for manual transmissions. I have it on my 2016 Mustang GT. If you are stopped on an incline it will hold the brake for a moment when the clutch is depressed. There is an option to disable it though. I don't know why you would need it for an auto transmission?
You don't generally need it for an auto, but you will need it for a truck with a load. The friction of the transmission won't be great enough to prevent backwards roll when you weigh too much. I appreciated having it on my 2013 F150 with a load in the bed.

Last edited:

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
You don't generally need it for an auto, but you will need it for a truck with a load. The friction of the transmission won't be great enough to prevent backwards roll when you weight too much. I appreciated having it on my 2013 F150 with a load in the bed.
Interesting. There are two pedals in an auto and two feet to work them (usually). I wouldn't have thought this was something that people needed.

HarryManback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Interesting. There are two pedals in an auto and two feet to work them (usually). I wouldn't have thought this was something that people needed.
It would take a lot of work to uncondition myself from "no two foot driving". I learned on a stick and drove one for years, my left foot is planted on the floor at pretty much all times.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
It would take a lot of work to uncondition myself from "no two foot driving". I learned on a stick and drove one for years, my left foot is planted on the floor at pretty much all times.
yeah, while I did my early learning on an auto, my first car was a stick so I had to learn it early. have driven manuals most of my driving life, too. I simply cannot bring myself to drive two-footed because the left foot is for the clutch, whether I have one or not.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
yeah, while I did my early learning on an auto, my first car was a stick so I had to learn it early. have driven manuals most of my driving life, too. I simply cannot bring myself to drive two-footed because the left foot is for the clutch, whether I have one or not.
Yeah, I agree. If I tryed to left foot brake, I'd put everyone including myself through the windshield. :shock:

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
It's a standard feature within the Co-Pilot 360;

Screenshot_20211117-075730.png
On my 2020 model:

FORD CO-PILOT360™ (67G)
Availability:
● Opt. on XL Mid (101A)
● Std. on XLT and Lariat
Not available with:
● PU Box Delete (R1A)
Includes:
● Auto-High Beam Headlamps
● BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) w/Cross-Traffic Alert and Trailer Tow Monitoring
● Lane-Keeping System (Lane-Keeping Aid, Lane-Keeping Alert and Driver Alert System)
● Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) (Pedestrian Detection, Forward Collision Warning, Dynamic Brake Support)

Hill Start Assist is not listed and my truck doesn't have it. I am familiar with how Hill Start Assist functions as my Jeep (manual shift) has it and it works well.
Sponsored