Poor Paint Durability

Rich_W

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Is anyone having issues with paint chips? My Lariat is just over a month old with the tricoat white and every time wash the thing I'm finding more and more paint chips. Been touching them up with a toothpick but it sure is ridiculous.

The paint is super thin and brittle. Really aggravating. Scares me what this thing will look like months and years down the road.

Also want to mention it has nothing to do with driving style... in fact this issue is making me paranoid and afraid to drive close to any cars.

Also note I have ceramic coating on it... not that is makes any difference.
Sponsored

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It's just about all vehicles.
Thin application the state and federally mandated VOC laws.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Knowing nothing about ceramic coating...could it be the ceramic coating chipping?

I have the white tricoat as well and I have no issues with the paint.

Last edited:

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
Knowing nothing about ceramic coating...couldn't be the ceramic coating chipping?

I have the white tricoat as well and I have no issues with the paint.
Probably not if the chipping is coming from road debris. For that, you would want some sort of paint protection film (PPF) like Xpel Ulitmate for example.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I have the same issue - one of the first chips I got (and I have no idea how I got it) was on the top of the rear drivers side door. I have put PPF on the front end of my truck and have an Aeroskin AVS protector on the hood which REALLY helps with chips there.

The one bright spot for me has been the paint has held up pretty well (thus far) to branch scrapes when traveling down brushy forest service roads. I've been really happy with that - it was the primary reason I bought white over another color because it hides scrapes like that a lot better than darker colors.

I do think it is just a sign of the times as others have said. In some ways paint is better than it ever has been, but in other ways it has regressed. Thin films (for weight I'm guessing) coupled with low VOC paints. Does anyone know if they are using water based paints on our trucks? I know that water based paints are getting very common due to the VOC issues.

RangerUp556

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat, 2015 Jeep Wrangler JKU
I've had the opposite experience. I have Magnetic Metallic and the paint is beautiful and flawless. My prior car was a 2013 Fusion Titanium with the White Tri-Coat Pearl and the paint was super durable. When I traded it in with 150,000 miles on it the paint was in almost show room condition still I couldn't believe how well it held up.

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
First week in I noticed a rock chip just below the headlight on my HiHo Silver truck.. Grrrrr.

Last edited:

@zzzziegler

First Name
Jarret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger lariat Fx4
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I have also
Is anyone having issues with paint chips? My Lariat is just over a month old with the tricoat white and every time wash the thing I'm finding more and more paint chips. Been touching them up with a toothpick but it sure is ridiculous.

The paint is super thin and brittle. Really aggravating. Scares me what this thing will look like months and years down the road.

Also want to mention it has nothing to do with driving style... in fact this issue is making me paranoid and afraid to drive close to any cars.

I keep my distance from the car in front of me. Yet I’m still getting big rock chips and also several chips in windshield. I never recalled having this many in my old ranger.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I have the same issue - one of the first chips I got (and I have no idea how I got it) was on the top of the rear drivers side door. I have put PPF on the front end of my truck and have an Aeroskin AVS protector on the hood which REALLY helps with chips there.
Can you send me the information on the AVS protector?

Last edited:

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Two tiny chips on the Front top of the hood. Touched up with OEM Touchup Paint and the chip spot pretty much disappears!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase

10k miles. Zero chips. Notta one.

Dont think paint is the issue

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
I've had to do some significant action to chip the paint. Wife has helped with the five pound hammer on my passenger sill. Ran the drivers door into the paint on the garage with the winds assistance and I've scuffed the paint but no chipped it. 6k miles the front has a bit of chipping due to highway rocks and such but nothing like the paint just jumping off by itself.